Amazon distribution center

Just curious if anyone on here has some insight on how much volume dropped in their center when amazon opened a distribution center in their area? The distribution center is supposed to open in about a year.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I’m in the Atlanta area and Amazon built their Hubs or whatever they call them all over the place. Increase in Amazon trucks on my area with an increase in stops on my car. I still get a lot of Amazon stops, I guess it’s the items not locally stocked.

ouanling

In canada we only get amazon packages that are from the US, so very very little amazon..

Volume is pretty stable without amazon. My main packages are still costco, walmart, oldnavy/gap, scentsy/yvesrocher spread out.

ManInBrown

UPS is in bed with Amazon 100%. They’re not going to let everyone know the details but they are. The new Hub they opened in Bethlehem is 300 yards away from a huge Amazon distribution center. Word is that it’s no coincidence. The Amazon building was there first, and then about a year later the UPS building was finished.

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS is in bed with Amazon 100%. They’re not going to let everyone know the details but they are. The new Hub they opened in Bethlehem is 300 yards away from a huge Amazon distribution center. Word is that it’s no coincidence. The Amazon building was there first, and then about a year later the UPS building was finished.
Perhaps Amazon’s bean counters are smart enough to realize that some of UPSs hubs are in excellent spots geographically and logistically and simply didn’t have a problem with parking theirs nearby?

Overpaid Union Thug

The question still stands. Amazon is usually placing their buildings nearby ours. But now it looks like the tables have started to turn. UPS is having to follow suit now instead of the other way around.

Overpaid Union Thug

Little to do with UPS (or FedEx). They put them in same areas for the same reasons.
Which is precisely my point. But years ago, based on the location of many of the older facilities, those decisions were more about availability than geography.

My current center for example, UPS didn’t build it. It was already here and we moved in and have been leasing the place for decades. The previous building was in a terrible location that did not allow growth at all and the decision had to be made quickly on where to move. Our current building, which has been expanded several times since then, just happened to be vacant so someone made the decision to move in. It was not, nor is now, an ideal location for an extended center. But we’ve made it work. Newer hubs have been placed in more ideal locations. And our competitors have followed suit. And are starting to make better decisions.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

UPS did the same thing in Plainfield, IN

Amazon built a Prime Distribution Center in Plainfield and UPS built a hub right across the street within 6 months. The decision to build the hub there was strictly due to Amazon’s Distribution Center.

jada miller

Screenshot_20200922-191712_Chrome.jpg