Amazon, in Threat to UPS, Tries Its Own Deliveries

Returntosender

The future of Amazon.com Inc. is hiding in plain sight in a San Francisco parking lot.
There, adjacent to recently closed Candlestick Park, Amazon is testing its own delivery network for "the last mile," the final leg of a package's journey to consumers' doorsteps. Trucks loaded with Amazon packages and driven by Amazon-supervised contractors leave this parking lot for homes and offices around San Francisco. Similar efforts are under way in Los Angeles and New York

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304788404579521522792859890.html

Foamer Pyle

They deliver much of their own packages here in Florida, and if you read any of the AmaZon forums, the customers have nothing but complaints to say about the service. I still have plenty of Amazon packages in my load, and see the beat up mini vans with grubby looking people out delivering their prime boxes. They are trying that in many of their large markets.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mack Grant

I honestly don't see what Amazon thinks they have to gain by this. They have to be getting a sweetheart deal from the other shipping companies including UPS.

Returntosender

RTS......out of curiosity, why do you only ever post news links and never contribute to any other post?
Cause I believe these start up companies will become a threat to UPS in the future. In 1986 Lasership was founded operated in just one state. 2014 they operate on the entire east coast, and expanding westward. Now Amazon is in the game with the money they have the can expand faster than laserrship can. A few years ago UPS let go 1800 region/district level managers. What if some of those manager are now at AMZ fine tuning their network? Only reason why I brought up lasership. I thinking of buying lasership stock sadly lasership is privately held.

HomeDelivery

They deliver much of their own packages here in Florida, and if you read any of the AmaZon forums, the customers have nothing but complaints to say about the service. I still have plenty of Amazon packages in my load, and see the beat up mini vans with grubby looking people out delivering their prime boxes. They are trying that in many of their large markets.

Sent using BrownCafe App

it's not They, unless you're talking about Amazon Fresh only...

are they also adding general merchandise to those delivery trucks? makes sense if they're driving to the same areas serviced by delivering those groceries

since you need to log-in to read that full article the OP posted, i'm just guessing

the "last mile" delivery are done by 3rd rate companies like lasership on the east & ontrac on the west... as initiated by me on the "other" thread...

but, i'm glad UPS at least are starting now with hiring sprees for package delivery drivers. FedEx better beef up their driver pool soon as well or another peak disaster will result again

FilingBluesFL

Sent using BrownCafe App

Are these the vans and cars and trucks I see that just say on the side of it "Package Delivery" ?

Seems like they'll use a kids bicycle if it gets them where they need to go...

HomeDelivery

meh, Amazon Fresh was in the test market for a few years now... that's no secret

so my assumptions are correct when they'll blend both perishables & non-perishables on the same delivery truck!?!

and, i've initiated a few threads about those 3rd rate courier companies in the other section:

http://browncafe.com/community/forums/usps-dhl-etc.14/

another saw lasership that's similar to ground/hd "business model" being attacked by labor lawyers:

http://browncafe.com/community/threads/lasership-contractors-win-lawsuit.355961/

at least Amazon-Fresh drivers are employees, not Independent Contractors ~ right?

that's what i'm banking on to make a lateral move

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
"Several packages shipped to The Wall Street Journal's San Francisco office assigned to "Amazon Logistics" arrived several days after their guaranteed delivery dates."

HomeDelivery

and why did you quote that, techie?

the company can lie/code a weather delay or other crap to retain their fees paid

or

the customer can ask for the shipping fees back just like for UPS NDA and FedEx air... for not making their deadline

Future

Victory Ride
DHL tried there hand in delivering ground pkgs=ed failure.......Let these scrubs deliver the amazon pkgs for a while.....amazon will come crawling back to us with there tail between there legs.

oldngray

nowhere special
Amazon has used local couriers to deliver in some areas for a long time. Usually no uniform and in a generic truck ( or even passenger car). Reminded me of pizza delivery people.

retired2000

Ups was a start up company at one time and Wells Fargo did not take them serious, guess who is still around. Also rose remember them they to were a start up company. It is now called fedex ground. So watch out for amazon

Indecisi0n

The only threat with Amazon is their deep pockets. Could they make it work? Sure but its going to take a long time and A LOT of money. The real question is how serious are they?

oldngray

nowhere special
One of these days Amazon will actually start making a profit. When that happens would be the time to get concerned. They have deep pockets but there are limits to how much they can do at a loss.

HomeDelivery

The only threat with Amazon is their deep pockets. Could they make it work? Sure but its going to take a long time and A LOT of money. The real question is how serious are they?

agrees, these 3rd rate regionals have to prove to Amazon first of how they'll improve their networks & dependability/reliability... Amazon will sit back and let these little companies do most of the transportation of their goods.

if they flourish, they may buy them up & renamed them Amazon Parcel Service/ Amazon Express / Amazon whatever

see RPS' history... they first sucked really bad, but as tech & infrastructure grew, more "independent contractors" joined in & Fred S saw that they can become a viable money maker & turned them into FedEx Ground/HD

------------------------------------
as far as DHL goes, they undercut their shipping prices & at the same time try to pay their drivers a decent wage... thinking they can be bailed out like USPS to operate in the red for a couple of years ~ fell flat on their face