Amazon Is Waiting Patiently

shadey

The way I see it, Amazon is going to patiently wait this out. The Express of today will lose a large number of employees who won't be interested in waiting to see what the new Federal Express has to offer. The Ground of today will lose a large number of employees simply because they won't be able to assimilate into what the new Federal Express will require of them. When the customers that require the service they pay for are not provided with it, they will look to find another company that CAN provide it to them. That is when Amazon will be more than happy to become the safe haven that jilted customers can run to, which is what they have been positioning themselves for. When stockholders see volume, revenue and profits slipping away the selloff will begin and they'll be no way to stop it. FedEx has promised to cut billions and the stockholders love that rhetoric. The immense fall in service associated with it will be what makes FedEx an afterthought. They'll be two big players when the dust settles and FedEx won't be one of them. The geniuses at FedEx forgot what made the company great and they are not about to admit it or do what is necessary to recapture it. The question is how long will it take before the house of cards begins to fall.

Gone fishin

The way I see it, Amazon is going to patiently wait this out. The Express of today will lose a large number of employees who won't be interested in waiting to see what the new Federal Express has to offer. The Ground of today will lose a large number of employees simply because they won't be able to assimilate into what the new Federal Express will require of them. When the customers that require the service they pay for are not provided with it, they will look to find another company that CAN provide it to them. That is when Amazon will be more than happy to become the safe haven that jilted customers can run to, which is what they have been positioning themselves for. When stockholders see volume, revenue and profits slipping away the selloff will begin and they'll be no way to stop it. FedEx has promised to cut billions and the stockholders love that rhetoric. The immense fall in service associated with it will be what makes FedEx an afterthought. They'll be two big players when the dust settles and FedEx won't be one of them. The geniuses at FedEx forgot what made the company great and they are not about to admit it or do what is necessary to recapture it. The question is how long will it take before the house of cards begins to fall.
Replace Amazon with UPS , Amazon is as bad as ground

bacha29

The way I see it, Amazon is going to patiently wait this out. The Express of today will lose a large number of employees who won't be interested in waiting to see what the new Federal Express has to offer. The Ground of today will lose a large number of employees simply because they won't be able to assimilate into what the new Federal Express will require of them. When the customers that require the service they pay for are not provided with it, they will look to find another company that CAN provide it to them. That is when Amazon will be more than happy to become the safe haven that jilted customers can run to, which is what they have been positioning themselves for. When stockholders see volume, revenue and profits slipping away the selloff will begin and they'll be no way to stop it. FedEx has promised to cut billions and the stockholders love that rhetoric. The immense fall in service associated with it will be what makes FedEx an afterthought. They'll be two big players when the dust settles and FedEx won't be one of them. The geniuses at FedEx forgot what made the company great and they are not about to admit it or do what is necessary to recapture it. The question is how long will it take before the house of cards begins to fal
Amazon would likely have to transition to a full common carrier in order to have the kind of impact you believe it could have in this market.

bbsam

Staff member
What makes you think Amazon is in such a a position? Sitting patiently by is not how a company holds itself into a position able to take on such a proposition.

You reference that “FedEx forgot what made the company great…” but how does Amazon step in without the people or vehicles to so? Much of what Fedex has gotten wrong has been trying to model themselves after Amazon. Amazon and Ground both suffer from a revolving door of employees.

yadig

Amazon is loosing its ability to keep drivers and its eating into profits. They turn over drivers worse than ground, Amazon isn’t a threat.

bacha29

Amazon is loosing its ability to keep drivers and its eating into profits. They turn over drivers worse than ground, Amazon isn’t a threat.
Especially given the fact that it's delivery network is a copy cat of Ground. Except for the fact that Bezos took the easy and profitable in town areas for himself and left the feces ( can't use the S word here) routes to UPS and the USPS.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Especially given the fact that it's delivery network is a copy cat of Ground. Except for the fact that Bezos took the easy and profitable in town areas for himself and left the feces ( can't use the S word here) routes to UPS and the USPS.
Not sure I agree with this. Amazon delivers everything to everywhere - from everyone to everyone else.
The model is not unique except there are airplanes moving items which then are moved with trucks and then moved the final mile.

Amazon is not finished yet. Just watch.

bacha29

Not sure I agree with this. Amazon delivers everything to everywhere - from everyone to everyone else.
The model is not unique except there are airplanes moving items which then are moved with trucks and then moved the final mile.

Sorry to tell you this Bud, but Amazon delivery operation is not yet and perhaps never will be nationwide. In addition those Amazon trucks and drivers you see are not company owned. They are the same so called "independent contractor" network as Ground with the same horror stories . And right now all it handles is their own freight. So how long will it take them to become a nationwide common carrier? I would say more than a decade at least, requiring many millions that I'm not sure they'll be willing to spend . Just the week before last week I ordered an item from Amazon. Arrived within the stated timeline but who brought it?.....The friendly rural route mailman.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Sorry to tell you this Bud, but Amazon delivery operation is not yet and perhaps never will be nationwide. In addition those Amazon trucks and drivers you see are not company owned. They are the same so called "independent contractor" network as Ground with the same horror stories . And right now all it handles is their own freight. So how long will it take them to become a nationwide common carrier? I would say more than a decade at least, requiring many millions that I'm not sure they'll be willing to spend . Just the week before last week I ordered an item from Amazon. Arrived within the stated timeline but who brought it?.....The friendly rural route mailman.
OK Bud. If you insist.:laugh:

zeev

Amazon is uniquely positioned to take advantage of the FedEx situation. They have warehouses in all the major metro areas , many underutilized. They don’t want to be a nationwide carrier, they want only the profitable areas and give the 70% of rural areas to UPS or USPS. Amazon in Billings Montana is all UPS ,future prediction more Amazon lockers and pick up points.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That is when Amazon will be more than happy to become the safe haven that jilted customers can run to, which is what they have been positioning themselves for.
Amazon has cut thousands of jobs, started and cancelled their third party P&D service because it wasn't making money, created a turnover rate so high that they have to essentially re-staff the entire company annually, and had to redefine their 2 day Prime service because they can no longer reliably get orders filled, shipped, and delivered in 2 days.

That's quite the unusual strategy to position themselves as the shipping safe haven.

zeev

Amazon invented E commerce with their trucking to huge warehouses and great use of technology has changed the small package business forever.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Amazon invented E commerce with their trucking to huge warehouses and great use of technology has changed the small package business forever.
I worked for a few b2b e-commerce companies in the 90s and I know for a fact Amazon didn't invent e-commerce and there were huge warehouses with hundreds of miles of conveyors when all they sold were books.
Aon the delivery side I don't see a company in existence that can match UPS in terms of efficiency, or employees. We are the best there is and my metro has seen a huge increase in Amazon packages over the past 6 or 7 months.

cosis

As far as delivery UPS is the best because their employee's actually want to keep the job. Fedex Ground could give a :censored2: and that is the future of the company. You get what you pay for.