Amazon Junk

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I think it's hilarious when I see identical products, usually like ones that were crowdfunded, on sites like Aliexpress for a fraction of what they're officially selling for. They're unbranded, but you know the product is likely the same and probably made in the exact same factory. If you're going to outsource your manufacturing to China so you can sell it for ridiculous markup here you deserve to have your IP ripped off.

For example, the official Prometheus light in the first picture sales for $69 for the brass version, $79 for the copper version. A clip can be bought for an extra $20. Second picture features a visually identical product with no branding listed. It sales for about $18 and includes the clip. I don't support counterfeit or bootleg products, but all things considered these are probably the same.

I recently considered one, but declined once I realized they were just some cheaply made Chinese product with an exorbitant markup. I went with an American made and proven Surefire Titan Plus instead.

Official:
BETA-4UP_a54d2eac-cd8b-4a0e-85f0-acce9a02cf5c.jpg

Ali version:
Untitled.png

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
One of my old customers was a retired manufacturing engineer for either Procter & Gamble or Johnson & Johnson, I can't remember which. Anyway, he traveled the world setting up operations in their various manufacturing plants and also visited suppliers.

He told me he visited three nearly identical plants in Vietnam, India and China. These plants made some kind of gauze product that had to be treated with a caustic solution, so, Vietnam and India rigged up a small motor and wood paddles to agitate the vats of product. When he got to China they had men wearing jockstraps walking around inside the vats. He said their time in the vet had to be limited otherwise their skin would start peeling off.

I just thought it was interesting that back in the early 90s it was cheaper for China to have guys walk around all day than to hook up a tiny electric motor and a couple pieces of scrap wood. Obviously the welfare of the employee was never taken into account.