Amazon motherships

Cman84

I think the higherups at amazon are out of their minds.i read an article about a patent on a flying fulfillment center.....thoughts please.this should be funny.
Amazon.com Inc has filed for a patent to use airships to store products and serve as a base for delivery-drones.

According to the patent filing, drones launched from the so-called “airborne fulfillment centers” (AFCs) would use far less power than those launched from the ground.

The AFCs would hover at about 45,000 feet (13,700 meters) and be restocked and resupplied by “shuttles or smaller airships.” bit.ly/2ihP1AU

Faceplanted

People thought Wernher von Braun was an idiot too with his idea of rocket ships

Now we're exploring deep space

Moores law says something like this Amazon idea should be doable within my lifetime

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
People thought Wernher von Braun was an idiot too with his idea of rocket ships

Now we're exploring deep space

Moores law says something like this Amazon idea should be doable within my lifetime
Difference with Von Braun is that rockets can scale. Airships are restricted by a number of factors.

They don't do well in the wind for one. At 45,000 feet they will be above the tropopause which will get them out of the jet stream and all but the biggest summer storms, but they still have to go through it.

Second is lack of lifting ability. To put it in perspective the Hindenburg was 800 feet long and had an internal volume of 7,000,000 cubic feet, but only had the capability of lifting a usable payload of 12 tons or so. With 100 tons of gas for a 3 day trip. Granted fuel efficiency has increased. But if it's going to stay up there, even just being buoyant, it needs some way to power itself.

Airships are rare for a reason.

Cman84

We have sent a probe out of our solar system thats not exactly exploring deep space.we have yet to even step foot on mars.this idea of amazons is hilarious. Would you want a floating distribution center over your city? I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Hellobrown2000

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure they saw the movie storks and said wow that's a good idea. Storks is a movie about well um Storks that deliver packages from buildings in the sky.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
GZKD08.gif