Amazon Prime Now

Thatguy123

Amazon just launched their 1 hour delivery service in my delivery area.. Cost $7.99 for 1 hr delivery and 2hr delivery is free (although they suggest your tip $5 to the driver). Have to have an Amazon prime membership and it's only on select items. Anyone on here have PrimeNow in their delivery radius and noticed a decline in Amazon packages on their route? Can't see how Amazon can be making money on this

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Isn't this their test market called Amazon Flex?

https://flex.amazon.com

So these contractor drivers goto an amazon fulfillment center to load up and deliver these... hopefully, locally to meet the time deadlines.

They're gonna be some accidents. Keep it same- day only or watch those accident rates fly!

When i, an HD purple driver, am assigned to deliver there its a crapshoot as to how long the lines thru the security gate is. One day its in n out in 30 minutes and others can be stretched to 2 hours or more!

Only swing or cover drivers or maybe a manager of one of the route owners will tackle this one stop.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Eh, im chilled.... just answering the OPs post

Let them experiment on how to try to compete. They didnt do great with Lasership or ontrac from the vast amount of negative reviews, so they're trying other venues

BrownTexas

Sounds like a plan set up to fail. Assuming test markets are in a large metro area. Most metros I have been in I can't get 5 miles in 30 minutes.

rod

Retired 22 years
Some examples of big companies that went down the tubes:

Wards (soon Sears)
friend.W. Woolworths
RCA
TWA
Pan Am
EF Hutton
Paine Webber
General Foods

rod

Retired 22 years
Same here. Remember when our big competitor was REA (Railway Express). Anyone seen a green truck lately other than the junk yard.

I had a good friend who was working at Railway Express Agency when I first started UPS. In fact his father-in-law ran the local REA office. He told me his FIL used to laugh when he told him that UPS was gaining momentum in the area. About a year later my friend was out of a job and his FIL was forced into retirement.

clean hairy

How is it free if you are asked to pay $5?
Amazon should be paying their Drivers a decent wage so they don't have rely on tips!
Imagine how our Drivers would hustle if they got $5 from each Customer they delivered to!

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
TWA
Pan Am
Pan Am and TWA were hurt by deregulation more than anything. Pan Am in particular was a strictly international carrier, so they had no feed for their international flights once deregulation hit. Once the floodgates were open they were doomed. All the domestic carriers could transfer passengers from their domestic flights to new international routes. Pan Am had to go in reverse which is much more difficult and costly.

oldngray

nowhere special
Pan Am and TWA were hurt by deregulation more than anything. Pan Am in particular was a strictly international carrier, so they had no feed for their international flights once deregulation hit. Once the floodgates were open they were doomed. All the domestic carriers could transfer passengers from their domestic flights to new international routes. Pan Am had to go in reverse which is much more difficult and costly.

Pan Am wasn't strictly international but that was the vast majority of their business. They also had long distance domestic flights like to Hawaii for example.

rod

Retired 22 years

The bottom line is ----they are still gone even if it wasn't of their doing.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Pan Am wasn't strictly international but that was the vast majority of their business. They also had long distance domestic flights like to Hawaii for example.
Hawaii under federal regulation is treated as an international route. To fly there you need to have what is called flag carrier status.

Box Ox

How is it free if you are asked to pay $5?
Amazon should be paying their Drivers a decent wage so they don't have rely on tips!
Imagine how our Drivers would hustle if they got $5 from each Customer they delivered to!

Maybe it's Amazon's way of trying to make their drivers feel better about what they're making while also knowing customers who expect free shipping to be free won't actually tip.

HardknocksUPSer

Some examples of big companies that went down the tubes:

Wards (soon Sears)
friend.W. Woolworths
RCA
TWA
Pan Am
EF Hutton
Paine Webber
General Foods
Never heard of any of them. I would like to think of myself as somewhat of a educated individual. However their not big company's if the majority of folks have no idea who they are. Toddlers know the "UPS" man, Just sayin.

oldngray

nowhere special
Never heard of any of them. I would like to think of myself as somewhat of a educated individual. However their not big company's if the majority of folks have no idea who they are. Toddlers know the "UPS" man, Just sayin.

You miss the point. They WERE big companies that everyone knew about. Not any more. You not knowing them just proves it.