Amazon volume being taken away in major cities?

SFdriver

Hey just wondering if any body heard rumors about amazon taking away a percentage of their volume away from UPS to deliver them selves. I over heard a conference call with IE that they heard that from Amazon. The center manager was al stressed about volume dropping.

Sent using BrownCafe App

teamster 804

Our service sucks.Especially during peak.Employee morale is in the toilet.Past CEO for Ups was a greedy bastard.He took away all forms of appreciation that we once had as employees.He cut benefits everywhere he could.On top of treating all of us like we are nobody and replaceable.He forced us all to do more with less.Less morale and less people to provide good service equals shippers looking for alternatives.Hopefully the new CEO at Ups will turn things around.Nobody including corporate Ups wants to lose an account like Amazon.Jobs will be lost all over the country.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brown metal coffin

They are already doing same day delivery in some cities right now with their vans and Im sure that as they tweak it more they will expand unless it goes terribly wrong..

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=8729023011

The one thing I don't know is how cost efficient is it really; to do it themselves? Think about the cost of vehicles, fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration, employees, benefits, workman's comp, disability and unemployment insurance. This list goes on and on versus paying a single shipping charge to UPS at a good discount Im sure to deliver it. Not to mention that amazon is a company that already does not turn a profit.

Our service sucks.Especially during peak.Employee morale is in the toilet.Past CEO for Ups was a greedy bastard.He took away all forms of appreciation that we once had as employees.He cut benefits everywhere he could.On top of treating all of us like we are nobody and replaceable.He forced us all to do more with less.Less morale and less people to provide good service equals shippers looking for alternatives.Hopefully the new CEO at Ups will turn things around.Nobody including corporate Ups wants to lose an account like Amazon.Jobs will be lost all over the country.

Sent using BrownCafe App
It sounds to me that you really need a turkey sandwich.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
They are already doing same day delivery in some cities right now with their vans and Im sure that as they tweak it more they will expand unless it goes terribly wrong..

The one thing I don't know is how cost efficient is it really; to do it themselves? Think about the cost of vehicles, fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration, employees, benefits, workman's comp, disability and unemployment insurance. This list goes on and on versus paying a single shipping charge to UPS at a good discount Im sure to deliver it. Not to mention that amazon is a company that already does not turn a profit.
They would probably run the same scheme fedex ground does --- where their employees aren't technically their employees.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Wasnt there a thread last month that said we were getting ALL of Amazons business as they were cutting FEDEX out?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Hire "independent contracts".

brown metal coffin

Hire "independent contracts".

I guess they could do that but now your talking a situation like fed ex ground. They will have to find people to purchase their own vehicles; if they have to be uniform or use their own which will look unprofessional with a mitch match fleet, disheveled work force but still be bound by all the rules and regulations of amazon. I just don't see how that makes them better or more cost efficient.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They basically already are using contractors to deliver by using the bargain basement regional carriers like lasership...who uses sub-contractors.

Sent using BrownCafe App

purplesky

Hey just wondering if any body heard rumors about amazon taking away a percentage of their volume away from UPS to deliver them selves. I over heard a conference call with IE that they heard that from Amazon. The center manager was al stressed about volume dropping.

Sent using BrownCafe App

No problem. This will just get UPS closer to BECOMING AN ONLINE RETAILER JUST LIKE AMAZON. :wink2:

I will say it again. UPS can easily become an online seller and it will happen if the volume really does get that low.

But since Amazon doesn't make any profit I doubt delivering their own stuff on a large scale will become a reality.

But If other retailers like Target and Walmart start doing this on a large scale this will spell trouble for UPS.

Thats when UPS launches its retail business and website that will turn the retail world upside down.

I guarantee you Atlanta has a team working on this right now.

UPS has the cash,logistics,manpower,and decades of experience helping Amazon become Amazon from the ground up.

Oh and UPS has airplanes. Amazon doesn't.:wink2:

Yes I know. Crazy :censored2:ing idea.

Last edited:

purplesky

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS is making a big effort to prepare for peak season. I think this year will go much smoother.

Hopefully this year Amazon won't take millions of last minute orders 2 days before xmas knowing full and well that UPS didn't have the capacity to deliver all those orders to little Jimmy by Xmas day.

Returntosender

SF driver is not a rumor for your city anyway.

Amazon quietly rolls out Sunday delivery in Seattle and Portland; Coming soon to Bay Area, Boston and more cities
After starting in selected cities around the country, Amazon and the U.S. Postal Service are closer to rolling out Sunday parcel delivery on a nationwide scale.
In recent weeks, Sunday delivery has launched in Seattle and Portland, and various other cities are potentially only weeks from going live — including the Boston area and a huge swath of California, including San Francisco and Silicon Valley.

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/amazon...cities-follow-including-san-francisco-boston/

Packmule

No problem. This will just get UPS closer to BECOMING AN ONLINE RETAILER JUST LIKE AMAZON. :wink2:

I will say it again. UPS can easily become an online seller and it will happen if the volume really does get that low.

But since Amazon doesn't make any profit I doubt delivering their own stuff on a large scale will become a reality.

But If other retailers like Target and Walmart start doing this on a large scale this will spell trouble for UPS.

Thats when UPS launches its retail business and website that will turn the retail world upside down.

I guarantee you Atlanta has a team working on this right now.

UPS has the cash,logistics,manpower,and decades of experience helping Amazon become Amazon from the ground up.

Oh and UPS has airplanes. Amazon doesn't.:wink2:

Yes I know. Crazy :censored2:ing idea.
Never thought of this before. UPS probably could become an online retailer easier than Amazon could become a worldwide carrier. That would also be pretty cool if they did!