Amazon walks March 31st?

PACNW

I recall those same rumors from years ago.
It was their sales people trying to lock up new shipper contracts ; sign up with us now because when the Teamster strike we won't be able to help you .
Unfortunately Amazon already has plans to avoid both companies .
All those agreements to start collecting state sales taxes means that they are planning to build their own hubs to assist in their own same-day network .
The pilot programs has started in SF and many other major cities are next .[/QUOTE]

This is true, they are happily poaching disgruntled UPS management people and are putting their own delivery network in place relatively soon is several areas.

bluehdmc

Oh yeah Fedex home is just great...It only took me 3 weeks to get my coffee..tracking said customer or business not open or home..For 3 friend##kng weeks..GOOD job Fedex..see how long the public puts up with that crap!!!OR Amazon...By the way hire somebody that speaks english and takes a shower

Anecdotal. And very unbelievable.

I believe it, it didn't take 3 weeks, just one with me. Duluth Trading, I called them and let them know. The last 2x I've ordered from Duluth it's come UPS.

kingOFchester

Fdx is not as efficient as UPS. Fdx is not as big as UPS. The bigger Fdx gets, the more efficient they will become. The more volume they gain, the more trucks they can put on the road. The more trucks fdx has on the road, the more efficient they will be. The more efficient they are, the cost per piece will go down. They already save a bundle on labor, add a network as large as UPS and we COULD be doomed.
The only way to stop their growth is to level the field by getting the contractor and Airline model pulled or teamsters take a huge pay cut. We need to fight their business model.

You can argue what I wrote, but it does not change the fact how much Fdx is growing year to year. They are like a snowball rolling down a hill. Getting bigger and bigger. While UPS is rolling down a slippery ICE patch. Picking up little to nothing and at some point we could just crumble and fdx, rolling behind us, will pick up all the pieces. I am not anti union at all. Just saying what I am seeing.

We need to fight their business model.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Fdx is not as efficient as UPS. Fdx is not as big as UPS. The bigger Fdx gets, the more efficient they will become. The more volume they gain, the more trucks they can put on the road. The more trucks fdx has on the road, the more efficient they will be. The more efficient they are, the cost per piece will go down. They already save a bundle on labor, add a network as large as UPS and we COULD be doomed.
The only way to stop their growth is to level the field by getting the contractor and Airline model pulled or teamsters take a huge pay cut. We need to fight their business model.

You can argue what I wrote, but it does not change the fact how much Fdx is growing year to year. They are like a snowball rolling down a hill. Getting bigger and bigger. While UPS is rolling down a slippery ICE patch. Picking up little to nothing and at some point we could just crumble and fdx, rolling behind us, will pick up all the pieces. I am not anti union at all. Just saying what I am seeing.

We need to fight their business model.

UH huh......but how do you do that when they have the government in their back pocket? How many times has UPS tried to get that changed to no avail.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
" We need to fight their business model. "
You're so funny .
Ever tried to have purple pick up at your building their miss routed parcels .
What a joke , 1/4 mile away is a Fedx Express office , and it takes many phone calls to have them send over someone.
But that employee can only pick up Express parcels only , not Fedx ground nor Home Del. .
Oh, they always claim that they'll get in touch with those other groups to come over , but no one ever shows up . And the pallet they sit on grows daily .
I not talking about Amazon books, or someone's coffee these are high ticket items .

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
FedEx's business model gives them a distinct price advantage. But it is also what is keeping them behind us. Their structure is much more complicated and makes it much more problematic to be as efficient as us. Our efficiency, versatility, and accuracy is our advantage.....but cost tends to sway customers at the sacrifice of quality, especially in this economy.

FedEx's growth and cost advantage has as much to do with what is going on at the negotiation table as anything else does...(shareholders, 'greed', etc)

kingOFchester

So, to those who say that FDX structure is flawed or doesn't work. Have you looked at their growth VS UPS growth over the past 10 years? So at what point do you think they will hit a wall and not grow? I do not seeing that happening unless their business model is shut down by uncle Sam.

kingOFchester

And I don't see that happening.

It is public information how much companies spend on lobbying. Fdx spends a lot more then UPS or Teamsters. UPS and teamsters should lobby together and spend some $$ to lobby. They have 4 years to do it before we loose Obama. Not that I care about Obama,,,,,,

bbsam

Staff member
If they thought there was an avenue that such money would get the job done, I have no doubt they would do so. Can't just start throwing money stupidly, especially not after the TNT debacle.

kingOFchester

If they thought there was an avenue that such money would get the job done, I have no doubt they would do so. Can't just start throwing money stupidly, especially not after the TNT debacle.

TNT debacle cost UPS 20 times more then they spent on lobbying.

kingOFchester

My point is this. Fdx is growing by the day. UPS is stagnant. FDX spends a ton in lobbying. UPS spend a ton less. Fdx is using a contractor loop hole to save mega bucks.

I believe that if UPS and teamsters banded together and fought this in the media and in Washington, (standing together) they would have a better shot at stopping the contractor model. If fdx continues to grow, it will soon be big enough where it could still be profitable even if they lost the tax loop holes.
FDX had a media campaign saying that UPS didn't want a level playing field. How about putting a media campaign together where you have union drivers, standing next to UPS ties, talking about how the American public is getting shafted out of tax dollars. Standing together and show the public that UPS can make money, drivers can make money, stock holders can make money and the public can get tax revenue.

bbsam

Staff member
What law makers or power brokers that are not already wooed by Fred should UPS and the Teamsters approach with lobbying money? It is possible that they cannot change the playing field and will be forced to change themselves.

kingOFchester

What law makers or power brokers that are not already wooed by Fred should UPS and the Teamsters approach with lobbying money? It is possible that they cannot change the playing field and will be forced to change themselves.

I will be the first to admit that I haven't done a complete investigation on my proposal. Just an idea I threw out as a dumb truck driver. I do know politicians can be bought like a street walker. They also live and die by their Constituents.