Amazon warehouse votes against unionization.

Trailer monkey

In a related story, hundreds of drug mules freely refuse to testify against the cartel after a mandatory lecture which included a viewing of the helicopter scene in Scarface

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"When counting ended Thursday night, there were 1,100 votes against unionization and 463 votes in support, with about half the ballots counted. The preliminary results put Amazon ahead by more than a 2-1 margin."

Amazon has a 600+ vote lead with about 1600 votes left to count.

www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/08/amazon-union-vote-count-in-alabama-live-updates-of-results.html

And just over 50% participating.... What does that remind you of ?

Where do we go from here?

Quite honestly, I'm not familiar with that Union.

But it will send a clear message to the Teamsters.... "are Amazon employees worth the time and trouble ?"

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Well we are gearing up here in SoCal to try and organize Amazon. I'm curious if this vote will actually shut that down or not.
I sincerely hope that Alabama doesn’t ruin this for the rest of the Amazon fleet. ALABAMA was the first to vote on this? Really? Alabamans do not want to pay taxes, and they certainly don’t want to pay union dues.
I can see the propaganda in that building now: STOP THE GREEDY UNION FROM TAKING YOUR MONEY

542thruNthru

I sincerely hope that Alabama doesn’t ruin this for the rest of the Amazon fleet. ALABAMA was the first to vote on this? Really? Alabamans do not want to pay taxes, and they certainly don’t want to pay union dues.
I can see the propaganda in that building now: STOP THE GREEDY UNION FROM TAKING YOUR MONEY
That's the propaganda in every building during a organizing effort. :)

Its going to be tough here also being a border city.

That's the propaganda in every building during a organizing effort. :)

Its going to be tough here also being a border city.
There’s a brand new Amazon building on the loop right next to mine and I gas up at the same place as their fleet. Every chance I get I encourage those guys to organize and research their job. Tell them about our benies wages and healthcare. There is a better way, my friends!!!

Trailer monkey

There’s a brand new Amazon building on the loop right next to mine and I gas up at the same place as their fleet. Every chance I get I encourage those guys to organize and research their job. Tell them about our benies wages and healthcare. There is a better way, my friends!!!
Since no Amazon drivers are employed by Amazon, organizing them would be very difficult

Since no Amazon drivers are employed by Amazon, organizing them would be very difficult
Drivers being employed by contractors might not seem like a suitable environment for union presence; but I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. Why can’t the employees of contractors, all doing the same work under the same umbrella, the same uniforms, under the same DOT regulations unionize? Just gotta make it happen.

Either you comply with the contractors and the Amazon standard, or you flip the switch and make them comply with your organized union. If the drivers organize, Amazon would be damn near forced to comply out of fear of bad press and thus stockholder anxiety.
The formula is there!!!

542thruNthru

Drivers being employed by contractors might not seem like a suitable environment for union presence; but I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment. Why can’t the employees of contractors, all doing the same work under the same umbrella, the same uniforms, under the same DOT regulations unionize? Just gotta make it happen.

Either you comply with the contractors and the Amazon standard, or you flip the switch and make them comply with your organized union. If the drivers organize, Amazon would be damn near forced to comply out of fear of bad press and thus stockholder anxiety.
The formula is there!!!
Actually he's right it's extremely difficult. Amazon will just end the contract and the contractor will close his business and start a new one under a different name. He'll hire back the people that didn't want to unionize and leave the rest on the street.

Its actually happened a few times already.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Actually he's right it's extremely difficult. Amazon will just end the contract and the contractor will close his business and start a new one under a different name. He'll hire back the people that didn't want to unionize and leave the rest on the street.

Its actually happened a few times already.
Wait, so....
Amazon drivers working for contractors have joined local unions....and consequently gotten fired?
This scenario has already played out? More than once?

542thruNthru

If they can just get it through nationwide they’ll have Jeffey by the balls. That’s certainly not realistic at this point though. Too much division among states, and state laws/guidelines.
Its why AB5 in CA was such a big deal for unions. It pretty much made all of Amazon's driver's "employees" and not contractors. Of course amazon is fighting it in the courts.

Karma...

amazon ( bezos ) wins by a very large margin percentage....I thought a higher percentage of workers would have voted......still I believe better than any teamster vote percentage.....