Amazon workers trying to Unionize

Box Ox

This is why it's being brought up now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/04/08/amazon-bessemer-mailbox-union/

"The union trying to organize workers at an Amazon warehouse in Bessemer, Ala., sounded a pessimistic note Thursday as a partial tally showed votes against the union with an early and widening lead.

With about half the 3,215 ballots counted, no votes hit 1,100 while yes votes totaled 463. The count was scheduled to resume on Friday.

“Our system is broken,” Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union President Stuart Appelbaum said in a statement Thursday night that seemed to anticipate defeat. “Amazon took full advantage of that, and we will be calling on the labor board to hold Amazon accountable for its illegal and egregious behavior during the campaign” — a reference to the National Labor Relations Board, which is overseeing the vote.

One area on which the union probably will focus: Emails among U.S. Postal Service employees in January and February show that Amazon pressed the agency to install a mailbox outside the warehouse, a move the union contends is a violation of labor laws."

Edit: Also at CNN if you'd prefer a non-Bezos owned source:

"According to the union, the NLRB received 3,215 ballots. When the NLRB stopped counting votes for the evening, the votes were heavily in Amazon's favor, with 1,101 voting against the union and 463 in support. In this election, nearly 6,000 warehouse workers at the one-year-old Bessemer facility were eligible to vote. The count will resume Friday morning."

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Lies! There is no possible way that any attempt to unionize Amazon will fail because Jeff Bezos is a diehard liberal, and liberals are strong union supporters and very much pro labor. Any attempt to unionize will be signed off by him with the utmost urgency.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would love more insight on these Amazon workers. What motivates them, makes them tick?

It's obvious the union did a lousy job selling themselves.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would love more insight on these Amazon workers. What motivates them, makes them tick?

Articles that I read in WaPo and NYTimes suggested that the whole thing was very rushed. Turnover at Amazon warehouses is traditionally really high and it is possible that local people thought they had to vote before the ones that wanted a union left.

Who knows though.

Overpaid Union Thug

They didn’t have time to vote. Our members didn’t have the 30 seconds required to vote by phone so I wouldn’t really expect this new generation of workers to vote by mail either.

Wally

Articles that I read in WaPo and NYTimes suggested that the whole thing was very rushed. Turnover at Amazon warehouses is traditionally really high and it is possible that local people thought they had to vote before the ones that wanted a union left.

Who knows though.
It could be those that voted no, do not see themselves working there long term?

Wally

They didn’t have time to vote. Our members didn’t have the 30 seconds required to vote by phone so I wouldn’t really expect this new generation of workers to vote by mail either.
So if true those that didn't vote saw no value in what the union was selling. Either that, or the union failed to get its message across.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Voter turnout is embarrassingly low in the US. Not surprising that turnout is low in union votes as well. People just can’t be bothered to try. It is especially bad among my generation but it’s not exclusively a young people’s problem. I don’t know what the solution is. Things might have to get a lot worse before they start to get better again.

clarnzz

75% of UPS drivers are cry asses when they can make over 100k a year and just follow the cradle. It’s embarrassing.

Attachments

• 9584893C-8808-4A4C-AA48-3EB7790776C0.jpeg
    9584893C-8808-4A4C-AA48-3EB7790776C0.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 101

Hot Carl

75% of UPS drivers are cry asses when they can make over 100k a year and just follow the cradle. It’s embarrassing.
Nearly all of our cradles are broken now. Hell, mine won't even charge anymore. It hardly matters though. Just hit MapMav on your way back to the truck and remember your sequence of turns and you can knock it out just as efficiently.