American Exceptionalism Is Really................

wkmac

422137_10101652738151343_5222555_75249354_1143227334_n.jpg
422137_10101652738151343_5222555_75249354_1143227334_n.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Didn't they misspell a word not that I'm immune just curious?

Yes--they left off an "a"--Sergeant.

Not everyone is looking for excuses. He committed this atrocity in Afghanistan and should be turned over to the Afghans to be tried and sentenced to the same fate he sentenced his 16 victims.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes--they left off an "a"--Sergeant.

Not everyone is looking for excuses. He committed this atrocity in Afghanistan and should be turned over to the Afghans to be tried and sentenced to the same fate he sentenced his 16 victims.
I agree with the sentence he deserves (though most of the time I abhor the death penalty), but I do believe we are the ones who needs to do it. This is our monster to destroy since our policies helped to create it. It is a good example to other nations that we don't shy away from what we expect other nations to do to those who commit war crimes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with the sentence he deserves (though most of the time I abhor the death penalty), but I do believe we are the ones who needs to do it. This is our monster to destroy since our policies helped to create it. It is a good example to other nations that we don't shy away from what we expect other nations to do to those who commit war crimes.

Hustling him off to Leavenworth and holding the proceedings behind closed doors will not satisfy the Afghans.

bbsam

Staff member
Hustling him off to Leavenworth and holding the proceedings behind closed doors will not satisfy the Afghans.
I don't think satisfying the Afghans is or should be the objective. It is holding ourselves to the standards of justice that we would have others hold themselves to. We don't need to satisfy their revenge. We need to satisfy our own standards.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think satisfying the Afghans is or should be the objective. It is holding ourselves to the standards of justice that we would have others hold themselves to. We don't need to satisfy their revenge. We need to satisfy our own standards.

So how would you explain our guests at Gitmo?

bbsam

Staff member
So how would you explain our guests at Gitmo?
A huge mistake to begin with and one that this administration has failed to find an answer for. I thought they were onto a solution bringing the inmates here to Illinois, but a boisterous republican caucus bolstered by a spineless democratic on killed that idea. I don't have the answer, but the status quo sure isn't right either. Maybe turn Gitmo into a vacation-like paradise? If they have to spend the rest of their days there because of our mistake, it should be our job to make them comfortable. Still a prison though. Not good.

I'm not so sure anyone is saying that Bales should walk but I do see a huge difference on the Anthony case, don't you? #1 difference is that Anthony was never in combat and she never (to our knowledge) suffered head injuries that may have cause her actions. In short I call this comparison blatant BS, based on inaccuracies at worse and speculations at best.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Casey Anthony had a trial.
While the soldier has not.
And to pleasing the Afghans , have they found their soldier who shot two of our officers in the back of their heads, inside a military secured compound yet ?

wkmac

[video=youtube;WAjH2VFH8lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjH2VFH8lw&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Babagounj

Strength through joy
WASHINGTON (AP) - An Afghan soldier shot to death a 22-year-old Marine at an outpost in southwestern Afghanistan last month in a previously undisclosed case of apparent Afghan treachery that marked at least the seventh killing of an American military member by his supposed ally in the past six weeks, Marine officials said.
Lance Cpl. Edward J. Dycus of Greenville, Miss., was shot in the back of the head on Feb. 1 while standing guard at an Afghan-U.S. base in the Marja district of Helmand province.
The exact circumstances have not been disclosed, but the Dycus family has been notified that he was killed by an Afghan soldier.

over9five

Staff member
WASHINGTON (AP) - An Afghan soldier shot to death a 22-year-old Marine at an outpost in southwestern Afghanistan last month in a previously undisclosed case of apparent Afghan treachery that marked at least the seventh killing of an American military member by his supposed ally in the past six weeks, Marine officials said.
Lance Cpl. Edward J. Dycus of Greenville, Miss., was shot in the back of the head on Feb. 1 while standing guard at an Afghan-U.S. base in the Marja district of Helmand province.
The exact circumstances have not been disclosed, but the Dycus family has been notified that he was killed by an Afghan soldier.
Did his government apologize and execute the soldier?