america's new low wage economy

rickyb

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...ded-february-were-lowest-quality-lowest-payin

the three biggest single-category jobs added in February (because Professional services includes numerous occupations), were also the three lowest quality, lowest paying ones:
  • Leisure and Hospitality, added 66K jobs
  • Education and Health added 54K
  • Retail trade added 32K

Together these three job categories accounted for 152K jobs, or more than half the total February job gains. They also represent the lowest paid jobs in the US.

And that's why there is no wage increase.

For three decades before the financial crash of 2008, real wages for most Americans were stagnant. But they could maintain their living standards by borrowing.

That cushion is now deflated. The U.S. can no longer fulfill the dreams 0f Wall Street, the Pentagon, and the Middle Class. At least one dream must die. Despite partisan differences, both political parties have agreed to sacrifice the people. An economic recovery will eventually create more jobs, predicts Faux, but most will no longer pay a middle class salary. On our present track, real incomes by 2024 will be dramatically lower than they are today.

oldngray

nowhere special
Canadatroll.jpg

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
it affects u too because it will cause downward pressure or stagnation on your own wage. plus if more people live above poverty it increases crime and all kinds of other problems that could affect u.

No, it doesn't. Our wages will not be negotiated downwards as long as UPS is profitable. In regards to the second part, I don't worry about crime, because all criminals are going to get rid of their guns and weapons, so we'll be fine there.

rickyb

No, it doesn't. Our wages will not be negotiated downwards as long as UPS is profitable. In regards to the second part, I don't worry about crime, because all criminals are going to get rid of their guns and weapons, so we'll be fine there.

they will negotiate your wages downward to make themselves more profitable. if there is a high supply of labor to do a low skilled job like a UPS driver, and there are a lot of other low paying jobs, it will create downward pressure on your wages. thats the market.

542thruNthru

OH NO THIS IS HORRIBLE NEWS!!!!!!

America will be defeated and taken over by Canadian kids who Iive in their parents basements! We need to put a stop to this right away! Quickly some one call Canada's brightest hero's William Shatner and Jim Carrey. Only they can save us from this horrible fate.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
they will negotiate your wages downward to make themselves more profitable. if there is a high supply of labor to do a low skilled job like a UPS driver, and there are a lot of other low paying jobs, it will create downward pressure on your wages. thats the market.
Driving a UPS truck my not be what the so-called occupational analysts would consider a "skilled trade", but rest assure it takes a special breed to do it and do it safely. Because of this, every dollar of the wage is earned and regardless of the ever-weakening union I don't see wages going anywhere but up in the future.

rickyb

Driving a UPS truck my not be what the so-called occupational analysts would consider a "skilled trade", but rest assure it takes a special breed to do it and do it safely. Because of this, every dollar of the wage is earned and regardless of the ever-weakening union I don't see wages going anywhere but up in the future.

teh weakening union is a sign of workers weakening position. but perhaps your right.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So "low skilled" that you couldn't hack it and got fired?? Oh that's right!!

rickyb

Our much-touted service economy will become a “servant” economy. Debt-laden 20-something college graduates will become 30- and 40-somethings, still juggling dead-end jobs. Personal dignity will go the way of decent pay. Life at work for most Americans will return to what it was before the New Deal – insecure, underpaid and subject to the daily humiliations of an economy managed to benefit of the rich and powerful.

The core problem, argues Faux, is not that we don’t know wha to do. The main elements of a high wage strategy—re-directing capital from short-term speculation to long term investment and sharing the returns to rising productivity more broadly—are clear. But the influence of the richest “one percent” has blocked government’s capacity to shape our common future, no matter which party is in power.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There will come a time when new FT drivers will have a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out. Yes, there will be a two-tiered wage structure for drivers which, over time, will bring our wages more in line with our competitor.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
There will come a time when new FT drivers will have a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out. Yes, there will be a two-tiered wage structure for drivers which, over time, will bring our wages more in line with our competitor.
Though at that point one would have little to no reason to work at UPS and jump through all the seniority hoops when they can go to FedEx and go full-time right away, not pay union dues, plus have generally lighter packages and fewer stops.

wkmac

No, it doesn't. Our wages will not be negotiated downwards as long as UPS is profitable.

That isn't entirely true. Our wages have in fact been negotiated down even as we speak. After the 2008' contract was ratified, then UPS CEO/Chairman Scott Davis told an investors meeting in regards to union wages that the current contract negotiated called for wage increases below inflation levels suggesting inflation itself UPS would generate an extra profit so to speak. Smart business move on his part.

I remember this well as I was surprised Davis would be so bold to make such a public statement and so many managers were face palming and expressing the same thought where I work at. Even a Corp. manager I know personally told me that Davis' arrogance has pissed off (made people mad/censor nazis) a lot of people and such statements from this manager's POV were typical of Davis and his regime.

The latest contract which we are under now also has a provision lengthening out the progression period for new hires which was 2 years, then went to 3 and now stands at 4. When I hired on it was 30 days. Not to mention that a new hire has his/her benefits phased in by ever longer lengths of time. It seems to change with every contract to the point I no longer know what it is. All of this are in effect a downward wage push. I suspect this trend will only continue under a multi-tier wage scale among drivers is finally introduced.

So regardless of any other claim made by Ricky, on that one he does have some basis of fact IMO.

If it makes you feel better, even a broken clock is right at least twice a day.

rickyb

i know they did this with the railways in canada, and i think it also takes a certain kind of person to work a railway job. so im thinking it would apply to ups as well.