An alternate form of discpline?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have often thought that there should be an additional alternative for discipline, one that is more serious than a suspension, but that falls just short of a termination. That alternative could be; loss of seniority. By that I mean that the driver retains his job, but goes to the bottom of the seniority list. That would involve a cut in pay as well as loss of vacations. Such an alternative would allow the company to really drop the hammer on an employee who deserved it, as well as making an example of him....but at the same time the guy could still support his family. Opinions?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober, that is an interesting thought. IMO, one that would never fly with the union but an interesting one just the same. As a driver my whole world (at work) revolves around seniority. I could easily see myself supporting this idea, especially this past week. This 'alternative' sure would shake things up a bit, and make one stand up and take notice.

blue efficacy

Are you talking company seniority or job classification seniority? I can see stripping someone of their bidding rights and such, but not their vacation weeks and pay rate!

I see way too much possibility for abuse. Geez, we get people fired all the time that get their jobs back. As Cino said, too much ammo.
If you have an employee that has been suspended of an infraction of policy and continues to mess up, then maybe a termination is in order. Some of the things people get fire over on first offense is extreme discipline. IMO.

Treegrower

Stripped of senority, put to the bottom of the list, a CUT IN PAY !! ???? Are you all effing high or something. My lord not even non -union companies do that to their employees

JustTired

free at last.......
Sorry soberups,

Not following you on this one. Just the idea of loss of vacation time (my only reason for living) would start a company cost-cutting plan that would have no-one eligible for vacation time. The only way I could see this working would be to have a penalty for wrongful or excessive disipline. Such as, if the company loses its' fight to take your vacation time at panel, they have to double that vacation time. Boy, wouldn't that be cool.

While the present system may not be ideal, I think we should let well enough alone. I see to much opportunity for abuse. Even more than we have now.

Tony31yrs

UPS definitely doesn't need more weapons to threaten drivers with. They might be more inclined to go to arbitration because an arbitrator might be more inclined to do this instead of outright dismissal. It's bad enough when they fire guys who eventually get their jobs back after months, but don't get back pay. They would be using any of the hundreds of rules to put guys back to the lesser pay scale. I'm sure any drivers low on the seniority list would like this form of discipline.
The last contract I was there for, got "Innocent until proven guilty" yet guys were fired or suspended before the incident was fully looked into. Management doesn't need any more tools of intimidation.

feeder53

ADKtrails
One has to be very carefull when a door that big is opened. The methodes and proceedures in place at this time are tried and true. We have all voted on them. I believe at arbitration there can be a number of creative ways to punish, and still preserve the persons job. With this said, I always do my best and always remember that without a good paying job....life could be rough so I do the job as directed.