Angry air driver

bid_air

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING A BID AIR JOB. MY SENIORITY DATE IS 8/25/06. I WENT IN TO WORK TDAY FOR MY NORMAL SHIFT AND THE SUP TOLD ME I WAS CUT FOR THE WEEK DUE TO LACK OF VOLUME. WHICH I CAN UNDERSTAND. THEN HE TOLD ME THE ROUTE WILL POSSIBLY BE CUT ALL TOGETHER. HE TOLD ME THAT THERE MAY NOT BE ANY WORK FOR ME INSIDE EITHER. THAT IS WHERE MY PROB IS. SHOULDN'T I BE ABLE TO DISPLACE A LESS SENIOR MAN? HOW WOULD I GET A SENIORITY LIST? I AM PRETTY SURE THERE ARE MEN BELOW ME ACCORDING TO THE SIX FOR ONE LIST?? IF ANYONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME OUT ON THIS....I NEED TO ARM MYSELF W/ KNOWLEDGE ...I ONLY HAVE A FEW DAYS SICK PAY LEFT AND NEED TO DECIDE?:angry-very2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Moved to UPS Discussions forum.

bid_air - you should get more action on your thread here than in "Newbie forum".

Welcome to Browncafe.

evilleace

Welcome to BC ask your steward to get you a seniority list also there should be a seniority list posted in your building somewhere ask where it is you may not be the least senior air driver but maybe they are cutting more routes than you think also I think they have to give you inside work if the cut the route altogether. The best thing you can do is learn your contract because management will try to stick it to you.

what area are you in and do you know which supplement you go by?
You do need to talk either to your steward or your BA.
Management will tell you anything they think you will believe if it makes their plans work to suit them, plus they don't always know the contract any better than you do. You have to take the steps to protect yourself. Don't let it slide. If you find out that you should indeed be working inside, file a grievance for the days you had to take sick leave to get a check. Talk with the union ASAP.

bid_air

i have been reading the contract and i cant seem to find anything relating to the part time seniority. may be someone knows exactly where it is? I am in the north east (ri).

It is very frustrating. I will go there tomorrow and try to get the seniority list and work that angle. anymore in put would be much appreciated

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Call the union hall and speak with a business agent that works for you at UPS. Your money helps pay for the union to be there when you need it. Call and give them all the info you have and they will tell you what is going on. There's a good chance they already know about it.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I AM CURRENTLY WORKING A BID AIR JOB. MY SENIORITY DATE IS 8/25/06. I WENT IN TO WORK TDAY FOR MY NORMAL SHIFT AND THE SUP TOLD ME I WAS CUT FOR THE WEEK DUE TO LACK OF VOLUME. WHICH I CAN UNDERSTAND. THEN HE TOLD ME THE ROUTE WILL POSSIBLY BE CUT ALL TOGETHER. HE TOLD ME THAT THERE MAY NOT BE ANY WORK FOR ME INSIDE EITHER. THAT IS WHERE MY PROB IS. SHOULDN'T I BE ABLE TO DISPLACE A LESS SENIOR MAN? HOW WOULD I GET A SENIORITY LIST? I AM PRETTY SURE THERE ARE MEN BELOW ME ACCORDING TO THE SIX FOR ONE LIST?? IF ANYONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME OUT ON THIS....I NEED TO ARM MYSELF W/ KNOWLEDGE ...I ONLY HAVE A FEW DAYS SICK PAY LEFT AND NEED TO DECIDE?:angry-very2:
A few questions:

• Are you full or part time air driver?
  • Did you ever work inside as a part-timer? In what job(s)? What was your seniority date for that?
  • What would the 6:1 list have to do with it? Were you a PT supe or an outside (off the street) hire?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Okay, in my Local/district, layoffs go by company seniority. What that means is that even if there are pt air drivers below you on your area/center list, say they started driving in '07 & '08, but they worked inside since '04 & '05, you would be laid off before them. As far as bumping the least senior inside pt worker, I suspect you should have that right (if that person had been hired after aug 25, 06). Oh, and then what would your rate of pay be, by my estimation, likely it would be $10.85 or $11.20/hr.
I believe the questions you need to ask of your shop steward, Union Rep., or Business Agent (you are a union member, I hope) are:

1. Are layoffs by classification or company seniority?
  2. If in fact I am lowest in seniority, may I bump the lowest inside worker ( if my company hire date trumps theirs)? On what shift?
  3. What would my wage be?
  4. If I am not eligible (or choose not) to bump inside, would I be considered laid off for lack of work and be eligible for unemployment benefits/insurance?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Also in NE myself.

you should be able to bump someone inside, unless classification throws a wrench into the equation. I'm not sure how that would work considering you never worked inside. I don't think it matters though; if someone with less juice than you is working inside then you have the right to work ahead of them.

Your rate will basically be cut in half like the previous poster mentioned. The friend/T drivers up here are all making a P/T rate working inside. You would get $8.50 plus the $1.15? raise for Aug '07 and .35 and .35 for Aug '08 and Feb '09 working inside.

kingOFchester

Two things you should/need to do:
One, talk to your union.
Two, read your contract.

Very hard for anyone to answer your question as there are many local supplements to the contract, that directly affect you.