Angry package car supervisors/managers

A

anonymous6

in all fairness. i worked for non union companies for 25 years before this place. there are more jerk drivers here than all the other places combined.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My center manager is Joe Cool. He never gets mad or raises his voice,but the two On Car Supes have hair trigger tempers and usually look like they have been sucking lemons. It's great lol

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Is it a universal thing at UPS where most supervisors/manager are total jerks? The stuff I hear I would think a worker would have recorded them by now and would have built a case to get someone fired. Jerk may be harsh but it is so cut throat.

put a letter in,, they are desperate for punching bags, then, you tell us

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you put any human in a situation where they have to deal with daily conference calls, threats to their job with no Union protection, dealing with irate and irrational hourly, a family that does not understand why they have to work 10-12 hours per day and basically be on call 24 hours a day.............I think there is a slight possibility that that human may "appear" to be a "total jerk" at times. As the Old Indian Prayer goes......"Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins."

I am pretty sure that no one is born into management at UPS.

If you make the decision to become management, and don't like it, do not come crying to me.

balland chain

There is a small recording device out there, I believe it is called a gum ball. I am purchasing one so the next time I am called a thief and dishonest, I will have the recording readily available when he claims he never said those things. I recommend all drivers have one to protect themselves and their job. All the company wants is to fire us and get some cheaper labor.

OptimusPrime

I am pretty sure that no one is born into management at UPS.

If you make the decision to become management, and don't like it, do not come crying to me.

Three kinds of UPS employees. Hard workers who just keep their head down. Typically go into driving/feeders. Second is very ambitious hard workers who want to make the world a better place. They get lured into management, then get tossed to the side. And lastly we have lazy asses. They jump at sup/management. Don't want to do messy hub work. And these are the useless we have dictating our day to day.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
They can see the writing on the wall, that their positions are going bye-bye in the future.

oh yeah, i LOVE telling them that one day we'll come to work and it'll be like the Jetsons: our supervisor will be like Mr Spacely on the screen .He'll be managing the center from hundreds of miles away.

The day is soon coming when all of the dispatching is done from Atlanta,and there will be no FT on Car Supes,just OMS clerks

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
There is a small recording device out there, I believe it is called a gum ball. I am purchasing one so the next time I am called a thief and dishonest, I will have the recording readily available when he claims he never said those things. I recommend all drivers have one to protect themselves and their job. All the company wants is to fire us and get some cheaper labor.
it's illegal to record someone without their knowledge and consent. Management will fore you so quickly if they think you are doing so it'll make your head spin

Returntosender

it's illegal to record someone without their knowledge and consent. Management will fore you so quickly if they think you are doing so it'll make your head spin
Depends on what state you reside in. Some laws as long as one party is aware of the recording its legal.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My sups hate having to discipline me. First, I don't bring cookies when I am mad. Second, I write rebuttal grievances that have every thing but the kitchen sink in them. Printouts, charts, graphs, what ever I need. I get them so twisted up, they just as soon get me back on my truck and out of the building.

over9five

Staff member
You would think a company that prides itself on being so ethical would welcome recording devices.

Wonder why they don't?

TxRoadDawg

too much legal ****, besides anyone with good working knowledge of a computer could alter and edit a tape to suit their needs. as for attitudes, the only thing I want is to be left the hell alone to do my job, how badly anyone else fuks up is irrelevant so long as I dont have to smell it. I gave up long ago on the idea of merit being relevant to ups.

curiousbrain

In my brief stay so far at this amusement park that is UPS, I've encountered two variants of management. I'm fairly sure we can all agree that management is (for the most part) treated in a less-than-stellar way. I think the difference in people lies in how they deal with that treatment.

The first kind lacks any filter, and when they get an intense beating, they immediately turn around and beat their subordinates as badly as they just were; and, they draw no distinction between management and hourly when having a fit, it's just hot molten crazy in all directions.

The second kind is a filter, and when they get an intense beating, they try to extract the thesis of the beating, and relay that in a way their subordinates can understand; and, they recognize that the responsibilities of management and hourly are different. As such, when they have a fit, it is structured at the target audience they are talking to - management or hourly.

I met a few of the second kind, and lots of the first. But, the theory about jerks is that they procreate at unreasonable rates, and so there is bound to be more of them. Although, that's probably a topic for another thread.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You would think a company that prides itself on being so ethical would welcome recording devices.

Wonder why they don't?

Risk management and especially the effects of unintended consequences.

Our society is filled with so much low lifers that look for any reason to sue someone or a company to get something they did not work for.

Take for instance, the picture of a management person not wearing a seat belt that someone posted here.

That could be used in a lawsuit against UPS as evidence that a management person (to some extent representing UPS) works in an unsafe way.
That could be used to imply that UPS does not care about safety.

So essentially the same reason UPS has all these Keter programs and audits. To show in court that UPA cares and takes measures to ensure a safe work place.

That is just the safety angle ... there are dozens and dozens of other angles.

It's the nature of the society and government in which we all co-exist.

Sure the hell ain't puurfect!