Animals on the road

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Wild animals are unpredictable but there are times when the risk of a collision is particularly high.

Be alert during the months of May and June when animals are drawn to ditches for road salt and to escape biting insects.

Animals are also especially active in the late fall and early winter during mating season and migration.

The peak times for collisions are dawn and dusk.

Yellow wildlife warning signs indicate areas of high risk.

No matter the season or time of day, it's important to watch for signs of wildlife and reduce your speed accordingly.

Slowing down reduces the distance required to stop and decreases the force of impact in the event of a collision.

Be alert It's important to constantly scan the road from shoulder to shoulder. Being alert is still your best defense to prevent a collision.

When you see an animal at the side of the road, slow down and pass by slowly.

For night driving, look for the glowing eyes of animals and use your high beams whenever possible.

When encountering an animal, try to do the following: Remain calm if an animal appears on the road in front of you. If you have time to stop, do so at a safe distance and stay alert.

When one animal crosses the road, others often follow.

You can also sound your horn to scare wildlife away from the road.

If an animal appears suddenly and surprises you, remember to brake firmly and stay in control of your vehicle. Avoid swerving because you may turn into oncoming traffic or roll into the ditch.

When a collision is unavoidable Aim your vehicle at the spot where the animal came from, not where it's going. Try for a glancing blow rather than a head-on encounter and let up on your brake just before you collide.

This causes the front of your vehicle to rise slightly and reduces the chances of the animal going through your windshield.

Hitting an animal can be a traumatic experience. If possible, move to the shoulder and turn on your hazard lights. Take a moment to regain your composure and then assess the damage to your vehicle.

Don't approach the animal, especially if it appears to be wounded. Injured animals can be dangerous. Call the police or your local RCMP detachment if there are human injuries or significant damage to your vehicle.

If the damage is less severe, you may continue driving and follow regular claims reporting procedures. Call the Conservation Officer Service if there is a dead or injured animal to report.

Anyone experience hitting an aminal on route?

I did on my rural route.

Was a turkey vulture slowly gaining altitude in the middle of a highway in broad daylight.

I had an aerocell box truck with the aerodynamic roof above the cab.

Bounced off the top part, but was ok. No blood stains on the fiberglass body

Had a turtle thread somewhere, but yeah, I don't want to hear that crunch

Est.1998

Anyone experience hitting an aminal on route?

I did on my rural route.

Was a turkey vulture slowly gaining altitude in the middle of a highway in broad daylight.

I had an aerocell box truck with the aerodynamic roof above the cab.

Bounced off the top part, but was ok. No blood stains on the fiberglass body
I haven't yet but came close a few times when this little terrier ran at the truck barking. Same neighborhood every time. I've seen it run at the mailman too. It's only a matter of time.

dezguy

Ran over a fawn. Thing darted out of no where, I swerved to the right to try to give it a shot at not getting hit. Poor thing slipped and fell and I ran its head over. At least it didn't suffer.

Felt horrible but the cnee down the road was excited they would get to collect some venison.

AB831

No, but the other week, I was at a stop, and when I put it in drive, a little girl ran out from in between two parked cars right before I gave it gas. She was never in any danger because I hadn’t started to move yet, but had that happened 5 seconds later, I don’t even really want to think about it.

Mutineer

A very fat Chihuahua leading it's gourd-bellied, Mexican family down a sidewalk and to a corner of a very busy intersection. The family stopped at the corner. Chihuahua kept on going.

Me in a P1000 doing about 25. Absolutely no time to react. Looking in my mirror, the forward 3/4 of the dog flat as a pancake. The rear 1/4 intact with it's tail still sticking up. I strongly suspect the people behind the dog were splattered with the full effect of the innards and contents of the insides of their dog. Like stomping on a full tube of toothpaste without a cap. I felt terrible. Not for the dog. For the kids.

DriverNerd

No, but the other week, I was at a stop, and when I put it in drive, a little girl ran out from in between two parked cars right before I gave it gas. She was never in any danger because I hadn’t started to move yet, but had that happened 5 seconds later, I don’t even really want to think about it.

That's always scary when a kid shows up out of nowhere. Doesn't matter that you weren't moving...doesn't even matter if the trucks not on. Still makes you think..what if?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
What's even worse in a suburban or apartment parking lot settings is when those kids try to hold on to the back bumper and take a ride...

I miss my package cars that have a rearview camera with a monitor that stays on

rod

Retired 22 years
What's even worse in a suburban or apartment parking lot settings is when those kids try to hold on to the back bumper and take a ride...

I miss my package cars that have a rearview camera with a monitor that stays on
Screw em---make em hang on for dear life.

SmithBarney

Had a couple Blue Heelers that would try to bite my tires as I drove down the road, would hate to have seen what would have happened if they latched on.

Have had birds stuck in my grill.

Had a dog slide into the rear quarter of my truck, he was fine, just a bit dazed.
Had a co-worker hit and kill a dog that slid on ice and snow under the rear wheels(dog was notorious for chasing our trucks, he chased in winter and couldn't stop himself)

CookiePuss

I’ve ran over an alligator, hit several wild hogs, and had a deer run into my driver’s side door. We had a driver hit a buzzard and it didn’t kill it. He drove around for the next two hours with a highly upset buzzard sticking out of his grill.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I’ve ran over an alligator, hit several wild hogs, and had a deer run into my driver’s side door. We had a driver hit a buzzard and it didn’t kill it. He drove around for the next two hours with a highly upset buzzard sticking out of his grill.
So you had bacon, alligator bites and venison for awhile?