Another Day Another School Shooting

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Oh, but guns don't kill people right? No, people with guns kill people.

120.5 guns per person in the USA.

200(2).gif

wilberforce15

Just another mass casualty school shooting. Nothing to see here. Move on. Michigan so he probably legally bought it and had it open carry.
And yet, this country had this level of gun availability to high schoolers for a very long time, and we only started getting this stuff in the past few decades. Why?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Oh, but guns don't kill people right? No, people with guns kill people.

120.5 guns per person in the USA.

View attachment 361797
He was probably just being bullied.
I'm sure the parents will put up the small amount of bail money and have a welcome home party for the shooter soon.

wilberforce15

He was probably just being bullied.
I'm sure the parents will put up the small amount of bail money and have a welcome home party for the shooter soon.
We need more fights.

Fights solve school shootings.

Zero tolerance policies mean that the bullied have no recourse except to whine to a bunch of women who can't do anything (namely teachers).

This bottles up for a few years and they take whatever form of vengeance they have available.

Schools need A/V clubs, Chess Clubs, Dance clubs.....and Fight Clubs.

wilberforce15

I blame it on computer games and lack of discipline at home.
But why was there lack of discipline?

And did these people not play cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, etc?

My kids currently play those games, and they are as laughably violent as the video games, even as we don't play video games.

Mutineer

And yet, this country had this level of gun availability to high schoolers for a very long time, and we only started getting this stuff in the past few decades. Why?
Beginning in the late 1970's, there was a sudden and prolonged decline of the availability of mental health facilities and services. This means that since that time, the mentally ill have been in society, and reproducing in far greater numbers than they would have otherwise. This coincides with the beginning of the Millennial generation. The generation that brought us Columbine, and a steady stream of many other atrocities to follow.

Aside from traumatic experiences, drug abuse, and head injuries, there is a very strong genetic link to mental illness. If it was researched, I would guess that the vast majority of mass shooters are mentally ill, and/or have a family history of mental illness.

That's why.

wilberforce15

Beginning in the late 1970's, there was a sudden and prolonged decline of the availability of mental health facilities and services. This means that since that time, the mentally ill have been in society, and reproducing in far greater numbers than they would have otherwise. This coincides with the beginning of the Millennial generation. The generation that brought us Columbine, and a steady stream of many other atrocities to follow.

Aside from drug abuse and head injuries, there is a very strong genetic link to mental illness. If it was researched, I would guess that the vast majority of mass shooters are mentally ill, and/or have a family history of mental illness.

That's why.
What you call 'mental health facilities' were largely very harsh insane asylums before then, and the reaction against them was strong.

Any genetic phenomena that exist in the 1990s also existed a generation, or two, or three, before that.

But those genetic problems didn't create mass shootings. And are you asking for the large, involuntary insane asylums to come back?

(I have an answer to my question, but I'm letting you guys squirm first)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We need more fights.

Fights solve school shootings.

Zero tolerance policies mean that the bullied have no recourse except to whine to a bunch of women who can't do anything (namely teachers).

This bottles up for a few years and they take whatever form of vengeance they have available.

Schools need A/V clubs, Chess Clubs, Dance clubs.....and Fight Clubs.
Too much work.
Let's just try a bunch of pharmaceuticals until we get these kids properly "chemically balanced". I'm sure it will all work out eventually.

Mutineer

What you call 'mental health facilities' were largely very harsh insane asylums before then, and the reaction against them was strong.
I agree. It's a situation that has no happy solution. But letting the loonies loose to go out and reproduce was a terrible idea.
Any genetic phenomena that exist in the 1990s also existed a generation, or two, or three, before that.
Mental illness is as old as mankind.
But those genetic problems didn't create mass shootings. And are you asking for the large, involuntary insane asylums to come back?
No. I would propose that all people diagnosed with a mental illness be offered a cash incentive to be sterilized.
This would include those with a documented history of drug or alcohol abuse.

What would you propose?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I agree. It's a situation that has no happy solution. But letting the loonies loose to go out and reproduce was a terrible idea.

No. I would propose that all people diagnosed with a mental illness be offered a cash incentive to be sterilized.

What would you propose?
That all current and possible future politicians also be sterilized, for the good of the country.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

What would you propose?
Mental illness is as old as the GOP.

KCJr-Phx

So does anyone think the shooters parents should be charged? If it comes out that the shooter had well known mental issues and they didn't make sure that gun was locked away then I would agree with them facing charges.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Ol Treshans mom said the 12th grader stayed home from school because he heard someone was going to be getting popped at noon.