another example of why you should follow methods

City Driver

we have a dockworker who was terminated today, but he is still allowed to work until the union has investigated and he has officialy contested it

hes a hard worker and a good guy, young guy...but sometimes careless with the forklift

ok always careless

he had a ATM machine...there are differenet stories to what happened but the general consensus is that it was on his forks one second, and on the ground the next...busted, $45,000 claim (or so management claims)

could of been easily been avoided by using the nelson strap that all of our forklifts have...its a strap that will go across the freight and hold it against the mast....takes about 30 seconds to put on, and 30 seconds to take off and reel back in, so we only use it for tall or top heavy freight

if he would of followed the methods and used the strap, he would have a job

watch yourselves, everything can changed in an instant

we have a dockworker who was terminated today, but he is still allowed to work until the union has investigated and he has officialy contested it

hes a hard worker and a good guy, young guy...but sometimes careless with the forklift

ok always careless

he had a ATM machine...there are differenet stories to what happened but the general consensus is that it was on his forks one second, and on the ground the next...busted, $45,000 claim (or so management claims)

could of been easily been avoided by using the nelson strap that all of our forklifts have...its a strap that will go across the freight and hold it against the mast....takes about 30 seconds to put on, and 30 seconds to take off and reel back in, so we only use it for tall or top heavy freight

if he would of followed the methods and used the strap, he would have a job

watch yourselves, everything can changed in an instant
Well, we all make mistakes, just not usually $45k worth.

over9five

Staff member
Well, we all make mistakes, just not usually $45k worth.

Yup,
They say if you hit a plane at the airport, you are automatically fired.
Why is this different than any other accident? If it's the only accident you've ever had, what is the justification of the firing? It is ONE accident.
I don't think the worth of the accident should matter.

Yup,
Why is this different than any other accident? If it's the only accident you've ever had, what is the justification of the firing? It is ONE accident.
I agree the dollar amount should not even be part of the equation. Now, the extent of the negligence is whole nuther ball game.

City Driver

I agree the dollar amount should not even be part of the equation. Now, the extent of the negligence is whole nuther ball game.

i disagree with that to a certain extent

something like this where the accident was caused only by negligence, yes the value of the damage should matter

you should know to be more careful with an ATM machine which is a high tech large piece of equipment thats easily breakable...be more careful and take more precautions with that then u would a skid of boxes of clothing, or a skid of anything that wont be damaged if dropped

i disagree with that to a certain extent

something like this where the accident was caused only by negligence, yes the value of the damage should matter

you should know to be more careful with an ATM machine which is a high tech large piece of equipment thats easily breakable...be more careful and take more precautions with that then u would a skid of boxes of clothing, or a skid of anything that wont be damaged if dropped
That's a good point also, but what happens when you don't know what's inside the box?
What happens when there is a case of fine china stacked inside a pallet of clothing?

UPSNewbie

That's a good point also, but what happens when you don't know what's inside the box?
What happens when there is a case of fine china stacked inside a pallet of clothing?

Don't give those few idiot customers the idea of using clothing as packing peanuts... :knockedout: Some of them do a horrid job of packing already.

Don't give those few idiot customers the idea of using clothing as packing peanuts... :knockedout: Some of them do a horrid job of packing already.
LOL, I agree, but that wasn't my point. The point is, you should always handle every package with the same caution. In this case handle all loads with the same.

things2auction

lol... In general I have found the more expensive the item, the worse the customer seems to pack it.

We have been getting shipments of custom wood furniture in our center the last few weeks, I swear every single one of them has been in some mangled box with pieces of wood sticking out. I would hate to be one of their customers.

some1else

Banned
Yup,
i think its bs that we have to be worried about being fired for an accident at all!

if you have a history of excessive accidents ok; but if you just screw up (Even if its your fault), you should loose your job. really makes it hard to view ups as a career when just having you foot slip on a pedal at year... 18, 23? can cost you your job.