Another new UPS Freight Road Driver...

PADriver5

Couple questions....I started on Tuesday with classroom orientation and will go out on Monday nite with another trainer.

Like anything new, it will take a little time getting used to the UPS way of doing things. I think the biggest thing I will have trouble with is the constant clocking in and out while doing different "jobs". I can see how someone could easily get sidetracked and forget to swipe their card and change their job function, along with possibly forgetting to hit the time clock with their time card.

Our trainer in orientation said that UPS understands that this is all new to us and they will be a little lenient the first couple weeks if mistakes are made. I am just worried and want to do a good job and don't want to get into trouble.

As far a driving I have no problem with that as I have nearly 1.5 million safe miles behind me, I just see it taking some time to get the hang of doing it the way UPS wants it done.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

City Driver

just get ready to hear

safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety
safety

kelsokid18

UPGF Grunt
To add to what City Driver had to say, in addition to safety, get ready for:

make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers
make the numbers

PADriver5

After running this past week I think I realize I can't do this job. Let me explain....

Im have been a truck driver for the last 11 years running all 48 states. I liked the idea of being home more often by taking the job at UPS Freight. I think I made a huge mistake!

During my driving career sometime I found it necessary to run throught the night to make a delivery on time. But working throught the night EVERY night is a real drag. In 5 days this week I have slept a total of 4 hours! The only time I feel like I want to sleep is when I get behind the wheel.

I think I need to be honest with myself and my boss and tell him I can't do it. I am just as safety conscience as UPS is, so I can't take the chance of falling asleep behind the wheel and killing myself or someone else.

I am not lazy by any means, but I can't function without sleep. By the end of this week I found myself feeling ready to snap. Also running a mini-hub and having to unload and reload made my head spin.

I ran the mini hub run from York, PA to Newburgh, NY. Leaving at 8:30 pm, driving to NY arriving around 00:45 am. Working the dock for arouns 3 hours and then driving back to York, PA. The trip up wasn't so bad. but I found it impossible to not doze off while driving back home.

Also, as a driver that never experienced the chaos that happens on the docks at Newburgh, NY, I can't see how more people don't get hurt there.

I understand everyone is in a hurry, but my god!

I really don't want to quit, but I can't see myself walking around like a zombie, hating life and my job as I see from everyone else doing the job.

There were a couple "senior" drivers doing the same route that don't work the dock and refuse to do it. That would be find by me, but is it a possibility? I am a truck driver, not a dock worker. And until this week I have never even sat on a forklift before. I took my time not to damage anything while working the loads but was yelled at for being too slow. Oh well, at least At least I didn't damage any customers items! Not so for some of the idiots I saw. It's no wonder so much stuff gets damaged before the customer get it.

Help! Any suggestions?