Another one bites the dust

whenIgetthere

Once you've told your manager what the issue is, you've played your hand and can't use a sick day. My garage door broke one morning & I could not get my vehicle out no matter what I tried. I called my manager right away & explained the problem, he suggested a few things I could try to get the door open (I tried them, but I still couldn't get the door open). So when I called him back, I told him I would just use a sick day. He said I couldn't, because he knew it wasn't really a sick day & it was an unexcused absence. Being honest gets you nowhere!

Same thing happened to me, I called in sick and didn't mention the garage door at all.

CJinx

Yeah, we know. Model employee. Blah, blah, blah.
I don't know, seems like the right thing to do. I suppose if your intent is to screw your manager over, not calling ahead would be a great way to do it. Let 'em struggle to find coverage in the moment, that'll earn you points.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't know, seems like the right thing to do. I suppose if your intent is to screw your manager over, not calling ahead would be a great way to do it. Let 'em struggle to find coverage in the moment, that'll earn you points.
I don't know how many times i did the right thing and then have the managers stab me in the back. Let's see how they handle surprises since they're so good at dishing them out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know how many times i did the right thing and then have the managers stab me in the back. Let's see how they handle surprises since they're so good at dishing them out.

Bingo. Doing the right thing(s) get you nowhere at FedEx. The more you do and the better employee you are, the more they try and take advantage. An all-star employee gets nothing but brownie points and the slacker makes the exact same money. Why play their game? If you want the day off, just call-in. Being honest at this shathole is especially pointless.