Any automotive mechanics!!!!!!

mook8809

hi,
I currently had an interview for a automotive mechanic position and I am trying to gather up any information about the job. I am currently working for a heavy truck dealership in the service department. I was told during my interview that I will be working alot harder for ups then I would as a mechanic at the dealership. well basically I would like some inside information from the men them selves who work as mechanic at ups. like is this the holy grail of of mechanic jobs or would I be making a bad decision leaving my current job?, is it worth the money they pay you or is it better to take a little less money else were? any information at all about the job would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.....

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Please try the search function window in the upper right corner and enter "Mechanics". I think you will find several threads on this subject already. Good luck. If there is something still left unanswered, I will try to answer. I am not the only one here either, but we are a small minority.

Returntosender

The only holy grail mechanic job at UPS belongs to the airlines. Flightline mechanics only. Automotive their is feeders and package cars. If work with tractors at your dealership the only thing you have to learn is the UPS system. I'm not a mechanic.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A little over $32 an hour and 40 hours a week with no overtime is the norm in our building.

mook8809

thanks all for the feedback. I guess one of my questions is to any of the mechanics is...are you glad that you made the move to turn wrenches at brown compared to any previous mechanic jobs you may have worked before? I have only worked for a heavy truck dealership, never a fleet so im not sure what kind of animal I might be getting into. (better, worse), Any mechanic I have talked to, that works for A fleet say that "they would never work at a dealership due to all the bs". so im really just trying to get some intel from any mechanics on how they feel about there job so far?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Here you would trade one kind of BS for another. UPS in not like the rest of the real world. I have gotten used to it after 10 years, but I still have wishful thinking. Pay and benefits are hard to beat, but you may suffer in your family life living like a vampire. My signature kind of sums it up in a way. I used to be a heavy truck mechanic before I came here, so it was an adjustment working on package cars. Lots of feeble engineering to fight with.

mook8809

yah the shift hours are kind of a set back. thats one of my biggest negatives that i can see so far. I think i can deal with it only because i have work 2nd shift a few differnt jobs before and didnt really mind it to bad, i just made the best i could with the family during the weekends. also it would kind of help out with the day care right now me being home and the wife working during the day. then again i dont know, thats why i enjoy talking to the people who live the life already because you guys and gals are the only true ones that know how it really is.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't know that it's difficult, just a checklist of things you have to go over on the truck. You find something you fix it. You have to get certified every year I think. PMI's are vehicle checks where you look the whole truck over including the frame to find anything that'd make the truck unsafe for service.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Once you have the PMI methods memorized it's ok. Just performing it while being watched and graded is the difficult part(at least for me). You just need to know and be aware of a lot of ideosnycrasies of the many different PC's you will deal with. This comes with time and a good memory. A good idea is to give the vehicle a good quick once over while oil drains during the LOF(lubeoilfilter) scheduled work. Relying solely on PMI inspection between intervals is risky.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
What is the interval these days? Is it bi-yearly or different for each manufacturer? Sometimes it seems I'm pulling in the same truck 2 or 3 times for PMI.

mook8809

how intense does the work load get to be. im not afraid to work i prefer to stay busy but the way my interview went the sup said its fast paced, intense, stressful and i would have to perform 20+ hours of work in an 8 hour shift

mook8809

the little bit of facts i know about being a auto tech for ups. seems like its a good job with great pay and bennies. but when i talk to other techs i know from like my current shop and etc... they all have a cousin or friend or whatever that worked for ups as a tech and hated it, wasent worth it, treat u like garbage, always looking for a reason to fire u all that stuff and they quit. i just need some truthful facts from the insiders.

mook8809

also is it true if you have a package car go out and when its on the job it breaks its an instant write up? after 3 your fired?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No. Not at all. Breakdowns are frowned upon, but as long as it does not keep happening for the same reason, nothing is likely to be said or done. Just follow procedure as directled dilligently and don't take chances if you don't have to. Only if you are dishonest or a total screw-up will they be looking for a reason to fire you. Competent mechanics who are willing to work these hours are a rare commodity.
The workload is high, so you have to budget your time and know when to cut your losses and move on to something that you can fix and keep in service.