Any chance more Amazon workers might nut up in solidarity next August?

Shorts365

I've been daydreaming about the potential strike, and one thought I've been having is how it would be an opportune time for more Amazon employees to make some demands of their own. Any chance of that happening? Is Bezos gonna have to replace a bunch of tires?

Also, if we go on strike, does DHL touch any of our volume?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
corporations are too decentralized now for a large union like the Teamsters to ever be created again, as the US currently stands

anything beyond a few franchises is just shut down and moved to Mexico, India, or China

if we went on strike for longer than a week, any promise we make to create jobs in the future would be as worthless as the paper its on because of how much market share we'd lose to DHL, Fedex, and Amazon

i don't think that's the way things SHOULD be, but that's the way it is in 2022 America right now

allahuakbar

She/Her
I haven’t heard one actual reason why we’d strike. You think the public is gonna care that dudes that make $40 an hour to deliver womens shoes want air conditioning?

The Range

In too deep
I haven’t heard one actual reason why we’d strike. You think the public is gonna care that dudes that make $40 an hour to deliver womens shoes want air conditioning?
70% of the UPS workforce is part-time. For many, it took 15 years or more to go full-time and reach the top rate. You're cherry-picking a minority subgroup and portraying it as the standard everyone enjoys as if you're company PR. The union's job is to counter the company's propaganda with appropriate counterpoints, of which there are many.

Article 44

Not Babboo25
I've been daydreaming about the potential strike, and one thought I've been having is how it would be an opportune time for more Amazon employees to make some demands of their own. Any chance of that happening? Is Bezos gonna have to replace a bunch of tires?

Also, if we go on strike, does DHL touch any of our volume?
No

Yolo

2. vulgar slang To start acting in a strong, confident, and/or courageous manner, especially after having previously failed to do so. In this phrase, "nut" is the singular of "nuts," a vulgar slang term for testicles also used figuratively to mean confidence, courage, bravado, etc. The phrase is not exclusively applied to males. Often used as an imperative.

Frank888

Amazon workers are definetly on our side. Do not let the millions of dollars that Amazon spends on anti-union propaganda fool you. Perhaps we could have real conversations with them at union meetings. Anyways, the strike is still far away and we should be focusing on the 2nd phase.

BrownFury

WHy would anyone daydream about a strike or even wanting a strike. It wont be just DHL taking our volume, but also LaserShip/Ontrac (merged last year and now has presence on both coasts), GLS (never heard of them before, but apparently they're a lot like DHL and they just put up a letterbox next to one of mine that I pick up), and even TForce is getting into the ecommerce delivering same-day and next day. ANd thanks to Amazon there are hundreds of independent delivering contracting companies. I dont think UPS can survive a strike unfortunately.

Shorts365

WHy would anyone daydream about a strike or even wanting a strike. It wont be just DHL taking our volume, but also LaserShip/Ontrac (merged last year and now has presence on both coasts), GLS (never heard of them before, but apparently they're a lot like DHL and they just put up a letterbox next to one of mine that I pick up), and even TForce is getting into the ecommerce delivering same-day and next day. ANd thanks to Amazon there are hundreds of independent delivering contracting companies. I dont think UPS can survive a strike unfortunately.
I’m not excited at the prospect of striking for the exact reason you mention, but it doesn’t sound like Teamster Leadership is just going to bend over this time around. So yeah, I’m getting real good at ladderball so I can stomp all over my union brothers on the picket line next August if it comes down to that.

Yolo

If we strike and our accounts decide to ship through DHL FedEx USPS or whatever then it's no longer our volume.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
70% of the UPS workforce is part-time. For many, it took 15 years or more to go full-time and reach the top rate. You're cherry-picking a minority subgroup and portraying it as the standard everyone enjoys as if you're company PR. The union's job is to counter the company's propaganda with appropriate counterpoints, of which there are many.
hmm, wasn't the 97 strike supposed to stop UPS from going majority PT?

guess we see how that turned out