Any drivers you know get LASIK?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just as the title says, have you or any drivers you know had LASIK done? I keep contemplating getting it done with the costs of elective surgeries being on the low side through this rescession. From what I've read people are able to drive themselves in their personal vehicle two days after surgery, but still have limited sight. I've also read people need to not put stress on their eyes, keep them moist, and don't touch them as tis can ruin the healing process. Being in the cab with crap flying around, coated with a dirt film after everyday of work, and being miserable when something flies in my eyes(currently wearing gas permeable contacts), how did someone cope with it? Anyone know first hand restrictions involving this procedure for a job like ours and would like to weigh in, feel free.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I dont know any drivers who have done it but before i started driving a coworker in the sort aisle had it done. He had to wear these safety goggle looking things for a couple weeks after having it done.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had LASIK done 12 years ago. Never had a problem. Slight haloing at first but that has long since dissipated. So nice not having to wear glasses or put in contacts every day.

UPSBOT

When UPS Was Fun
It's been nine years for me. Had it done on a Friday then took the next week off. I was running a rural route and was worried about the dust. I was near sighted and end up with 20/20 vision. No more contacts on dusty roads. Money well spent. Go for it.

Just as the title says, have you or any drivers you know had LASIK done? I keep contemplating getting it done with the costs of elective surgeries being on the low side through this rescession. From what I've read people are able to drive themselves in their personal vehicle two days after surgery, but still have limited sight. I've also read people need to not put stress on their eyes, keep them moist, and don't touch them as tis can ruin the healing process. Being in the cab with crap flying around, coated with a dirt film after everyday of work, and being miserable when something flies in my eyes(currently wearing gas permeable contacts), how did someone cope with it? Anyone know first hand restrictions involving this procedure for a job like ours and would like to weigh in, feel free.
we had a guy get it done. He is a notorious one for milking injuries. He said his eyes didn't feel right for six weeks after the procedure. He was faking it I'm sure. Now he loves his new eyesight.

brownboxman

14 yrs for me doing great need reading glasses occasionally now that I am 55 glad I did it for the dust I have on my route. Just had my dot physical passed with flying colors

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had my annual eye exam in January and when the exam was almost done I asked the optometrist if I were a candidate for Lasik. He then showed me just how poor the vision was for the typical Lasik candidate---it was something like 20/200. Thankfully I am nowhere near that, although it would be nice not to have to worry about glasses. I then proceeded to drive home with my eyes dilated----that was a trip.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea, I don't like that dilation of pupil thing.

When I made the appointment they told me I would need a driver. The appt was for 10am on a Saturday---do you really think my son is going to want to get up that early on a Saturday just to drive his old man home?? I lied and told them I had a driver so that they wouldn't cancel my appointment. Of course it was a bright, sunny day, which made it that much worse.:wink2:

bumped

I'm 14 years in and it was one of the best things I've ever done. First, don't worry about the cost. Find the best doctor you can find.

I may eventually need reading glasses.

In the first 6 months some days your vision will be better than others. Its the healing process of your eyes.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Thanks for all the great responses. Seems I should schedule a vacation for the week after. UPSbot addressed the dust issue that I was concerned about. So the max downtime is a week from what I'm gathering? I have an astigmatism and my sight is really bad without my contacts. I literally can't read the big E on the eye chart 5 feet away. I've trudged through driving with pollen, dust, rain, sweat, and other things for 13 years now. With the upcoming pollen season LASIK has been on my mind.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The pollen season is horrible for contacts, I wore the gas permeable ones myself. I have thought about having the surgery, it would seem that vision insurance would cover more of it to save on glasses and contacts.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The pollen season is horrible for contacts, I wore the gas permeable ones myself. I have thought about having the surgery, it would seem that vision insurance would cover more of it to save on glasses and contacts.
From my research our VSP doesn't cover a dime of LASIK.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Most people can return to normal work the next day. It's been so long that I don't recall what I did but I know I didn't miss any work. I even went to dinner that night with my mom. One of the best dinners I ever had. Because my vision was affected it heightened my sense of taste and every bit of crab cake and steak I had was mouth watering.

And as far as dilation, I have never needed a driver for that. Just make sure I have my sunglasses on me so I can drive home. The doctor has never questioned it.

Most people can return to normal work the next day. It's been so long that I don't recall what I did but I know I didn't miss any work. I even went to dinner that night with my mom. One of the best dinners I ever had. Because my vision was affected it heightened my sense of taste and every bit of crab cake and steak I had was mouth watering.

And as far as dilation, I have never needed a driver for that. Just make sure I have my sunglasses on me so I can drive home. The doctor has never questioned it.
Your eyesight got bad at an early age cause you kept doing that (thing) that your Mom said you shouldn't do!!!LOL

bumped

Forgot to add...

I had my surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on a Monday.

You'll get eye drops...USE THEM

I was able to see perfectly right after I walked out of the recovery area(its dark). The vision change when you first look into a lighted area is remarkable.

You will need someone to drive home. You'll get really dark glasses for the 1st couple of days especially in bright sunlight.

If you have seasonal allergies I would recommend not getting it done during that time. You don't want to be rubbing your eyes.

When I had my surgery I think insurance covered everything above $3000.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Forgot to add... I had my surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on a Monday. You'll get eye drops...USE THEM I was able to see perfectly right after I walked out of the recovery area(its dark). The vision change when you first look into a lighted area is remarkable. You will need someone to drive home. You'll get really dark glasses for the 1st couple of days especially in bright sunlight. If you have seasonal allergies I would recommend not getting it done during that time. You don't want to be rubbing your eyes. When I had my surgery I think insurance covered everything above $3000.
Was this with our vision plan at UPS?