Any Ground contractors from Nashville?

It will be fine

Did all the Ground folks get that memo today talking about how great it is to own both HD and Ground in the same area? Sounds like 6 day operations are coming by 2020 and you'd better own both services by then. They mentioned they're already doing 6 day around Nashville. Anyone have any info on what's going on there?

bbsam

Staff member
I'll be interested to see how they manage the transition in places where either the Ground or HD CSP won't take on the complimentary volume.

It will be fine

I'll be interested to see how they manage the transition in places where either the Ground or HD CSP won't take on the complimentary volume.
Same thing they always do. "Either you take the volume or we'll find someone that will. There's the door." There's always a contractor around willing to expand, especially when the area is available for free.

bbsam

Staff member
Same thing they always do. "Either you take the volume or we'll find someone that will. There's the door." There's always a contractor around willing to expand, especially when the area is available for free.
Not really. If they did that here, we'd instantaneously have CSP's with 35% of the building's volume. Too much 4isk associated with that.

It will be fine

Not really. If they did that here, we'd instantaneously have CSP's with 35% of the building's volume. Too much 4isk associated with that.
I would guess entities that large would be able to work out swaps in order to stay in business. It'll be messy, but I think they are being pretty blatant in their push to combine. They want us all to work it out ourselves over the next few years so when the time comes to force it it won't be a big deal.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Our new terminal is commingled, and the HD guy proposed we take all of his businesses and resi on Monday, but take back all of our resi for tues-fri
Win Win for him
That did not fly

bacha29

What this looks like for your average contractor employed driver is a 70 hour work week.Or a permanent battalion size group of part time Saturday drivers and not many will be willing to work all 52 of them especially weekend holidays such as July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day etc. They will want that time with their familys.

It will be fine

What this looks like for your average contractor employed driver is a 70 hour work week.Or a permanent battalion size group of part time Saturday drivers and not many will be willing to work all 52 of them especially weekend holidays such as July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day etc. They will want that time with their familys.
Right now you just run some people Tues-Sat and others Mon-Fri. That only works if you only have to run HD on Saturday. If they want us to run everything everyday it'll be annoying. Their won't be many pickups on Saturday so if you clear out all the delivery volume the Monday guys won't have anything to do. As long as they keep Ground Saturday service something customers need to pay a premium for it won't be a big deal.

OUMick

This is the main reason I didn't buy the last set of routes I was looking at. That and everyone being so tight lipped about the new ISP changeovers. I was looking at a group of ground routes and the hd contractor in the terminal was just as big as the ground routes.

bacha29

Everything right now is in it's earliest stages but Fred S and the boys at the CATO Institute have longed advocated the privatasation of the U.S.P.S. and it runs 6 days a week and I think old Fred has his eyes set on the post office as a future target and he's crazy enough to attempt to take it over if and when the opportunity arises . If X doesn't take advanatage of the opportunity he knows UPS will so get used to a permanent 6 day a week operation.

bacha29

They will try to use them until Charlie Redneck and Billy Joe Sixpack believing that it's the United Nations coming to take their guns start shooting them down. Out my way the prevailing mindset regarding guns is simple If you can't bring down a helicopter with it, it isn't worth having. But, the most likely scenerio is one collides with an airliner which will bring about rules so restrictive that the will won't be in everyday use.

CJinx

I-Robot-FedExDeliveryBot.jpg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Everything right now is in it's earliest stages but Fred S and the boys at the CATO Institute have longed advocated the privatasation of the U.S.P.S. and it runs 6 days a week and I think old Fred has his eyes set on the post office as a future target and he's crazy enough to attempt to take it over if and when the opportunity arises . If X doesn't take advanatage of the opportunity he knows UPS will so get used to a permanent 6 day a week operation.

Neither FedEx or UPS would, or should, want to take over the USPS. The money to be made from the USPS is in bulk transport of mail via airplane, and FDX already already has a 7 year, $10 billion contract to do that.

It will be fine

Heard some info about the Nashville 6 day pilot program. It sounds like they have the word out to all the large shippers in the overnight area. They are running pickups on Saturday and another sort. It sounds like it is going well and they plan on expanding the service. I don't think they were running P&D pickups yet, only Linehaul, but I'm sure that will change.
This will make it harder to staff with 5 day a week shifts and we all know fedex won't pay us well enough for the additional cost. Doesn't look good.

dvalleyjim

They will try to use them until Charlie Redneck and Billy Joe Sixpack believing that it's the United Nations coming to take their guns start shooting them down. Out my way the prevailing mindset regarding guns is simple If you can't bring down a helicopter with it, it isn't worth having. /QUOTE]

You mean good Americans interesting in saving the country for your children and grandchildren?