Any hiring of UPS package drivers directly off the street?

Does anybody know if their UPS centers might be hiring package drivers directly off the street?

I figure most are probably only hiring seasonally right now.

If they're not hiring full time drivers right now, would there be a possibility sometime in the spring?

Would any of the UPS centers hire seasonal drivers, put them into package handling after Christmas, and then hire them full time in a few months or a year?

I worry about getting hired only part time and not being able to find a full time job to supplement my UPS salary.

The UPS Jobs site isn't helpful in finding stuff in detail about each specific UPS hub. Nor does it list the HR or center manager phone numbers to contact.

I'm not married, don't have any kids, and would be willing to travel.

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue.
Thanks,
BigTennessee

Nostromo

There is a 6:1 hiring ratio meaning 6 employees working inside to one outside hiree. Your best bet would be seasonal and bust your ass and make a good impression.

Sent using Morse code

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yes, UPS hires a limited number of employees off the street into FT driving. The number will vary by each center's needs. UPS is bound to a union contract with requires it to hire 6 PTers into driving for every off the street hire; that said, some centers are having difficulty attracting qualified PTers into driving. Thus, the number of off-the-street hires could be zero but it could be several. It may not be immediate -- it's also possible you may drive seasonally and then be asked to drive seasonally again, or go FT, later into next year.

Only one thing's certain... if you're an off-the-street hire, you WILL drive seasonally initially -- no exceptions. UPS is very picky in selecting permanent FT employees, so you will need to audition (work your butt off!!!) before any offer of permanent employment is extended. Ultimately, these jobs are very competitive. Do not let anybody make you think otherwise!!!

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Our small center is hiring seasonal and air drivers, which is unprecedented. After peak, they will either be absorbed by preload or let go. I had to dash the hopes of one guy who thought he had a chance at full time. Management is saying little to nothing.

PT Car Washer

My building has been doing what Bagels is suggesting. Hire a guy seasonal. Does a good job then put him in the sort for a few weeks or months and put him on FT out of the building because he is qualified. Most of the time none of the other PTers even know about this.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Does anybody know if their UPS centers might be hiring package drivers directly off the street?

I figure most are probably only hiring seasonally right now.

If they're not hiring full time drivers right now, would there be a possibility sometime in the spring?

Would any of the UPS centers hire seasonal drivers, put them into package handling after Christmas, and then hire them full time in a few months or a year?

I worry about getting hired only part time and not being able to find a full time job to supplement my UPS salary.

The UPS Jobs site isn't helpful in finding stuff in detail about each specific UPS hub. Nor does it list the HR or center manager phone numbers to contact.

I'm not married, don't have any kids, and would be willing to travel.

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue.
Thanks,
BigTennessee
Come to NYC...you start tomorrow

Travwise

Bagels is wrong. While that may normally be the case we have hired 4 perm off the street this year, in the process of 3 more. Read: PERMENANT

NOOBZ

I did an app and was called and offered a job pending back ground check and driving test. How long till you know if back ground check is all good?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Right now is the best time to get in to the company, they are hiring like crazy and the chances of getting on FT are really good. Good luck in whatever you do.

ChrisTheBrown

Come to NYC...you start tomorrow

Are you guys looking for drivers? I cover drive, up in central NY..But have only drove a couple of times now in the past month. Mainly just work preload.

Sent using BrownCafe App

sportsjock

We've been hiring drivers non stop since last October and still hiring. But it's in California. Just hired one of my buddies from Fedex ground last week

Haximus

Our small center is hiring seasonal and air drivers, which is unprecedented. After peak, they will either be absorbed by preload or let go. I had to dash the hopes of one guy who thought he had a chance at full time. Management is saying little to nothing.

I have a feeling the same thing is being done to me. I don't understand it, that is wrong to do. I just want to be told the truth, either way I am going to break my ass. That should be apparent after getting to know someone over a period of a few months. It's quite unfair. I wait around to find out if I have work or not at 7 am, and since the new season started on Oct 15, its generally been a "No." I am a young guy living on my own and I have rent and bills to pay. It's fine if I'm not gonna be working, but don't lead me on, I will go find another job in the mean time. And of course, I will drop everything when they need me because this pay rate is hard to come by. Instead, I am left in the dark.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a feeling the same thing is being done to me. I don't understand it, that is wrong to do. I just want to be told the truth, either way I am going to break my ass. That should be apparent after getting to know someone over a period of a few months. It's quite unfair. I wait around to find out if I have work or not at 7 am, and since the new season started on Oct 15, its generally been a "No." I am a young guy living on my own and I have rent and bills to pay. It's fine if I'm not gonna be working, but don't lead me on, I will go find another job in the mean time. And of course, I will drop everything when they need me because this pay rate is hard to come by. Instead, I am left in the dark.
Life isn't fair...just in case you didn't get that memo.