Any Hubs to Close?

g l

I've heard rumors that UPS may be thinking about closing a air hub. Anyone know if there is any truth to this and which Hubs they may consider closing?

W

westsideworma

i take it no one else has heard any of this?

I heard something about Dallas/Forth Worth was eliminating their air sort and moving it to louisville, but the rest of the sorts would run the same. nothing about hubs closing entirely though.

g l

i heard talk of rockford closing with there flights moving to louisville and chicago and leaving rockford as just a ground facility.

BrownSuit

i heard talk of rockford closing with there flights moving to louisville and chicago and leaving rockford as just a ground facility.

I heard the entire company was closing and selling everything to FedEx. Are you sure you aren't a troll? My Troll Sense is going off here people . . . :devil3:

Red Dawn

I heard something about Dallas/Forth Worth was eliminating their air sort and moving it to louisville, but the rest of the sorts would run the same. nothing about hubs closing entirely though.
i work at dfw airport..shut down only midnight sort as of feb. 12 was last night. this was in the works for years. from what i heard was now that Louisville had completed expansion they took our flights.

g l

I heard the entire company was closing and selling everything to FedEx. Are you sure you aren't a troll? My Troll Sense is going off here people . . . :devil3:

its what aircraft maintenence is talking about i figured i'd come here and see if anyone heard anything cause it freaked me out when i heard it. I also hear rfd will be down to 13 flights by april.

Buffaloaf

I havn't heard anything about this at all. I suppose it could happen, as Rfd night volume has only been an average of 100k the past two weeks; however, we're still doing okay on production goals (have made it every week, but barely). Also, the Rfd building would not be a good building to convert into a "ground hub" as it was designed specifically to be an air hub...there are only about 30 feeder bays on the wall.

drewed

Shankman
I havn't heard anything about this at all. I suppose it could happen, as Rfd night volume has only been an average of 100k the past two weeks; however, we're still doing okay on production goals (have made it every week, but barely). Also, the Rfd building would not be a good building to convert into a "ground hub" as it was designed specifically to be an air hub...there are only about 30 feeder bays on the wall.

And if they did close the air, wouldnt htye just push the ground through CACH?

Buffaloaf

And if they did close the air, wouldnt htye just push the ground through CACH?

Yeah, either CACHE Sunrise or Addison Night..I think. That would basically leave the RFD Preload and Sunrise. As far as I know too, RFD is one of the few air hubs that can service International packages, so that is one of the other benefits to keeping it up.

rod

Retired 22 years
How do they rank from most to least productive?

Who ever asks that question is always the least productive. You don't think UPS is going to pat anyone on the back and say "good job" do you?:peaceful: silly rabbit

UPSAOT

That wouldn't make much sense-RFD has way more capacity to handle more flights plus ORD doesn't do int'l flights. Any kind of officiality to this rumor?

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I was told by my automotive sup on Thursday of this past week that they closed a UPS Freight Hub in Texas because of no volume to support it being open.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I was told by my automotive sup on Thursday of this past week that they closed a UPS Freight Hub in Texas because of no volume to support it being open.

I find that hard to believe especially since most of the automotive parts are made across the border there using cheap labor.

Buffaloaf

That wouldn't make much sense-RFD has way more capacity to handle more flights plus ORD doesn't do int'l flights. Any kind of officiality to this rumor?

Bump this. Not to mention, O'Hare is about 1/100th the size of the Rockford hub. I think the biggest thing they do in O'Hare is have EAM shuttles roll in from different parts of the Chicago land and pick up the EAMs.