Any thoughts ?

JJinVA

From what I could see in the WSJ article its just management and "non-operations" folk. Probably talking about the HR thing

rod

Retired 22 years
I heard they were going to buy out all the Center Managers---50 bucks a head. Being the center manager's don't have the power to make a decision on their own they are kind of a useless link in the system now days.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
making room for the $16 an hr 22.4s ....RIP RPCD
🧔✊
giphy.gif

GenericUsername

The HR role is pretty useless. There's not really any reason for every center to have their own HR person when they can have one per district or whatever with the center managers fulfilling that role locally.

It's what they do in the grocery industry (from personal experience.) Each store manager handles their own hiring/etc and then they give/receive info from the one HR person for however many stores they oversee.

I honestly don't see us removing a lot of HR people as a bad move. I've only seen ours once or twice outside of peak in the 5 or so years I've been around.

Est.1998

From what I could see in the WSJ article its just management and "non-operations" folk. Probably talking about the HR thing
It’s funny that WSJ was cited as the source yet you can’t read the full article without paying for it.
but, if they plan on hiring 100K people for peak, they’re going to need the people they’re talking about buying out because I’m not gonna be able to answer my helpers questions on why he/she hasn’t rcvd their check yet.

Est.1998

The HR role is pretty useless. There's not really any reason for every center to have their own HR person when they can have one per district or whatever with the center managers fulfilling that role locally.

It's what they do in the grocery industry (from personal experience.) Each store manager handles their own hiring/etc and then they give/receive info from the one HR person for however many stores they oversee.

I honestly don't see us removing a lot of HR people as a bad move. I've only seen ours once or twice outside of peak in the 5 or so years I've been around.
You make a great point and made me reconsider what i just stated.

GenericUsername

You make a great point and made me reconsider what i just stated.

It makes sense to me. The one full-time HR person can go about hiring his own people for peak season to deploy to each center to assist with the seasonal hiring. He/She can run their own daily conference call and be available for their team during the 2 or 3 weeks that are needed. The seasonal HR people then can roll into a helper coordinator type of thing then be dismissed when it's all done.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It’s funny that WSJ was cited as the source yet you can’t read the full article without paying for it.
but, if they plan on hiring 100K people for peak, they’re going to need the people they’re talking about buying out because I’m not gonna be able to answer my helpers questions on why he/she hasn’t rcvd their check yet.

Our center manager is already trying to get us to recommend helpers and PVD drivers.

Lol good luck

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Not working for ups they don’t. Or they may think they do and quit after a few days.
Once they figure out they will not be keep on after Christmas, they bolt
Don't really care for helpers, they seem more trouble than they are worth and I sure as hell am not going to have one this year
I do not agree with the PVD thing