Any tips in becoming a Union Steward

I'm not going to mention my local however it's weak. I been in a Union in FL and it is strong however in my local it's more of "if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" type of deal. Also if my coworker come to me for advice besides our Union Steward then I guess I'm doing something right on my end. If anyone has tips and could educate me on how to fill out grievance paperwork that would be great.
Thank you taking your time to read and reply.
Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Brisket

Oh and you mean something right on your end.
Theres a certain member that would read the original post a whole different way, lol.

542thruNthru

I'm not going to mention my local however it's weak. I been in a Union in FL and it is strong however in my local it's more of "if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" type of deal. Also if my coworker come to me for advice besides our Union Steward then I guess I'm doing something right on my end. If anyone has tips and could educate me on how to fill out grievance paperwork that would be great.

So how exactly is your local weak? How do your shop stewards scratch managements backs?

So how exactly is your local weak? How do your shop stewards scratch managements backs?
I know that they don't file grievances however use it as leverage. For example they'll exchange 5 grievances to save a member *Dwi*

Friends with management

Selective in when comes to defend fellow bothers and sisters.

542thruNthru

I know that they don't file grievances however use it as leverage. For example they'll exchange 5 grievances to save a member *Dwi*

Friends with management

Selective in when comes to defend fellow bothers and sisters.
MKEz.gif

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
First, go to your dermatologist and have him check to see if your skin is thick enough and then have your back X rayed to make sure that your spine in solid.

You're going to need both.

Up In Smoke

If I was to give advice to anyone wanting to become a steward, I would have them go to multiple general membership (kraft) meetings before making any decision. Understanding how your local works, where they spend your money and how they support each building is key. When listening, pay attention to the Business Agents reports. How often are they in each barn, are they visiting each shift and are they addressing issues in a timely fashion. In our local the BA's make between $115,000 and $135,000 per year. I work in the 4th largest barn in the local and only see our BA when the local wants something ie votes or monies. I've had grievances collect dust for more than a year before being heard at a local level. Pay attention to the financial reports and understand why and how much your local spends. Have your paid organizers made any contacts and held any rallies to strengthen the membership in your local or increase your membership overall? Your local is an elected slate much like our government. They are paid from your dues and are sworn to put it's members needs before their own. Much like our government officials they are constantly running for office, highlighting only the positive and burying the negative. Reach out to other stewards in other barns and ask the hard questions. Being a steward is a thankless job, but rewarding when connecting the rank and file with the elected board and BA's. Knowledge is power!