Any way to avoid UPS Surepost, by using MyChoice, etc.?

cnwinger

I figured I might ask some UPS employees to see if anyone has encountered this before. Basically USPS in my area will not deliver packages. Any package that UPS SurePost transfers to USPS just results in a note telling me to pick it up at the post office, which is a 22 mile round trip. This is obviously not ideal.

First, I tried to correct this with the companies sending the shipments. Amazon struggled with this at first, but now everything seems to come form either UPS Ground of Prime Delivery. Target, however, told me there was no way for them to choose a default shipping option to always use UPS Ground. They also couldn't switch my default carrier to FedEx. Nothing they could do apparently.

Next, I contacted UPS about the MyChoice service. I was told that although I could pay to upgrade a specific shipment from UPS Surepost to UPS Ground, there was no way to set a default option on my account to always use UPS Ground. I would gladly pay to upgrade each one by default, but apparently that's not an option. Again, not ideal to have to manage tracking of packages and upgrade individually. That also wouldn't cover things sent to me by others.

Is there any option I might have through UPS to avoid the transfer to USPS for final delivery?

Thanks.

rod

Retired 22 years
I figured I might ask some UPS employees to see if anyone has encountered this before. Basically USPS in my area will not deliver packages. Any package that UPS SurePost transfers to USPS just results in a note telling me to pick it up at the post office, which is a 22 mile round trip. This is obviously not ideal.

First, I tried to correct this with the companies sending the shipments. Amazon struggled with this at first, but now everything seems to come form either UPS Ground of Prime Delivery. Target, however, told me there was no way for them to choose a default shipping option to always use UPS Ground. They also couldn't switch my default carrier to FedEx. Nothing they could do apparently.

Next, I contacted UPS about the MyChoice service. I was told that although I could pay to upgrade a specific shipment from UPS Surepost to UPS Ground, there was no way to set a default option on my account to always use UPS Ground. I would gladly pay to upgrade each one by default, but apparently that's not an option. Again, not ideal to have to manage tracking of packages and upgrade individually. That also wouldn't cover things sent to me by others.

Is there any option I might have through UPS to avoid the transfer to USPS for final delivery?

Thanks.
Isn't living in these times wonderful? Basically "Big company got their money-Big company don't care".

542thruNthru

Thanks.

Yes.

Pay for a higher service level. 2nd air, next day air.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Thanks.
No

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
It's just an area of multi-acre lots with shared mailbox spaces.
I get it.

But living that far from the PO, with the mailbox setup you have....

Get to know your carrier, give em your number or let them leave it with a neighbor.

There's lots of other solutions as well for your situation.

Good luck.

542thruNthru

Except for the fact that you can't select that when ordering from Amazon, Target, and others. That's why I was trying to se if there was some way to always override it with UPS, like MyChoice or something else.

What is the reason the post office is giving for not delivering your stuff?

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
If I'm reading this right, when you order something that ships ups it goes to usps and usps tells you to come pick it up?

Generally, if its 1 package surepost. Ups is supposed to send it to the post office. If its multiple, generally ups delivers it. There are also other restrictions such as weight and size. Ups doesn't always follow this though and does deliver 1 surepost which is against our contract but we do it anyway.

The shipper is choosing the cheapest way to send something via ups. They can absolutely change the way it goes but they won't because of cost.

So unless you're ordering many packages at one time, you're out of luck, unless you upgrade the package each time.

cnwinger

What is the reason the post office is giving for not delivering your stuff?

They don't drive into the neighborhood at all. This is not just for me, it's for all 100-200 homes. USPS either deliver at the shared boxes (that have small, limited package boxes) or leave a slip to pick up packages at the post office.

If I'm reading this right, when you order something that ships ups it goes to usps and usps tells you to come pick it up?

Generally, if its 1 package surepost. Ups is supposed to send it to the post office. If its multiple, generally ups delivers it. There are also other restrictions such as weight and size. Ups doesn't always follow this though and does deliver 1 surepost which is against our contract but we do it anyway.

The shipper is choosing the cheapest way to send something via ups. They can absolutely change the way it goes but they won't because of cost.

So unless you're ordering many packages at one time, you're out of luck, unless you upgrade the package each time.
Yeah I would gladly pay to always default to the upgraded shipping if that was an option. I offered that to Target but there's no way to do that apparently.

As it is now, it looks like the only solution is to use MyChoice to upgrade each individually delivery.