Anybody here work at the customer counter?

The Milkman

Worked counter to cover vacations early on in my career then went full time in 2000, retired in 2008 in Jersey. What a strange trip it was!!!!!!!:knockedout:

fethrs

I used to work the Customer Counter as part of my combo job, that part of the job was dissolved, so no more Counter for me!:happy2:

The Milkman

I used to work the Customer Counter as part of my combo job, that part of the job was dissolved, so no more Counter for me!:happy2:

As I saw it, the company wanted to squeeze and push customers to the UPS stores. This way they can eliminate union jobs. Little by little the counter hours were shortened, pick up times modified and at a time wanted to change a 2 man counter to a 1 man operation (which backfired). It was a shame the way I had to lie to customers and cover up management decisions, work as directed was the phrase of the day. I felt helpless at times for the customers who had to drive many miles after work to get the run around from me, the 800 # would tell the customer one thing and the ctr would give a different story. Every division manager looks good on paper by eliminating a job but then again the public gets the shaft.. What can Brown do for you??? Good Question

Babagounj

Strength through joy
still working at one, since 1999.
Have seen our volume decrease quite sharply, both for pick-ups & shipping.
Along with our personal , all part timers are gone, and with this last bid another combo.
They will never completely shut this office down, not when they can "steal" people to do other jobs.
Sleeve_meet_Heart

we still miss you

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Miss me?? You feeling okay...:biting:

Counter is the definition of a thankless job. Talking your way out of everything that's out of your control, customers interrupting the indoor whiffle ball games when it's slow...

God speed to you counter folk!

959Nanook

As I saw it, the company wanted to squeeze and push customers to the UPS stores. ....

It has been stated directly by our supervision/management that they want customers to go to UPS Stores and purposefully make decisions about the Customer Counter to encourage the same. It has been stated both outside of earshot of the Customer Counter and in front of paying customers at the counter.

The Milkman

It has been stated directly by our supervision/management that they want customers to go to UPS Stores and purposefully make decisions about the Customer Counter to encourage the same. It has been stated both outside of earshot of the Customer Counter and in front of paying customers at the counter.

Keep changing hours and making it more difficult for people to pick up their pkgs will discourage them from dealing with ever changing hours of operation and pick up times. Thus the counter will show less and less drop off volume and # of customers to justify their move to eliminate friend/T union jobs. I was at a Jersey counter for 8 yrs and the changes were made to squeeze us to 8 and skate and give the public less of a chance to come for their pkgs. One wk close from 7-8 pm another wk 6:30 -8pm. We used to open at 8 am then to 9am, they were talking about opening at one time at 11:00 am... People complained about our hours because for many many yrs the hours were fixed. :dead:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
8a-6p .... with same day pick up at the main building from 7:30- 8:30 ( or until the line is gone ).
We too inform customers about extra services available at the ups stores, and we have been told just which stores to promote.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Miss me?? You feeling okay...:biting:

Counter is the definition of a thankless job. Talking your way out of everything that's out of your control, customers interrupting the indoor whiffle ball games when it's slow...

God speed to you counter folk!

Since you got that job early in your career, your bitterness is easily understandable.
Wait until you get stuck on a crappy route for a while, you will look back and wonder why you left.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Since you got that job early in your career, your bitterness is easily understandable.
Wait until you get stuck on a crappy route for a while, you will look back and wonder why you left.

Good point. I was thinking that as a driver, with any cu issue beyond your control that escalates, you can simply drive away. At the counter, you can hide behind the wall or step outside, but you're still "there".

The Milkman

Our counter has been open 8:30 to 10:30 am and 4 to 6 pm for the 21 years I have been there. People deal with it.

That's great that your hours did not change, the counter I was at they kept trying to juggle them back and forth to eliminate o/t which was minimal. People come to depend on us over the yrs accustomed to our posted hours. When management decides on a Friday to change counter hours on Monday without any advance notice for the customers then I got all the heat.. It happened many times.