Anybody moving?

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
i retired last year and my wife resigned this year, we are looking at selling our place in ca and moving to nv. Has anybody else done that?

The Milkman

i retired last year and my wife resigned this year, we are looking at selling our place in ca and moving to nv. Has anybody else done that?

Retired and couldn't get out of Jersey fast enough...Retired 1/1/08..headed to AZ looking for a new home...bought 2/14/08...went back to Jersey, sold everything...arrived in AZ 5/2/08...Happy as a pig in crap

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
the mud is probably less caustic on their skin but they quickly turn mud to crud we raised them when i was a kid..they smell was horrific.
Yikes AZ is way too hot Milkman..my daughter and son in law live in Tucson

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Retired and couldn't get out of Jersey fast enough...Retired 1/1/08..headed to AZ looking for a new home...bought 2/14/08...went back to Jersey, sold everything...arrived in AZ 5/2/08...Happy as a pig in crap
I still have 20 left but me and my wife both discuss from time to time if we want to move after retirement. What made you choose AZ?

oldngray

nowhere special
Pig crap is definitely acrid but pigs aren't naturally filthy. They just wallow in mud to cool off because they lack sweat glands.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
first we looked in other parts of CA then we looked near Reno and Sparks area(spanish springs) and fell in love with suburbia again
home prices are affordable, i saw the cost of living is about 13% less there than where we live now. And its about 3 hrs from our friends here

CaliforniaPaul

first we looked in other parts of CA then we looked near Reno and Sparks area(spanish springs) and fell in love with suburbia again
home prices are affordable, i saw the cost of living is about 13% less there than where we live now. And its about 3 hrs from our friends here
We located to Douglas County Nv as its more rural, tax rates are lower than Washoe County.

The Milkman

the mud is probably less caustic on their skin but they quickly turn mud to crud we raised them when i was a kid..they smell was horrific.
Yikes AZ is way too hot Milkman..my daughter and son in law live in Tucson

When we first moved here ...we were waiting for the BIG HEAT to arrive...it arrived but it was not oppressive like in Jersey, most of the time we have 100 degree days with 5-10% humidity. sometimes it will get muggy after a thunderstorm ( Monsoon) but then it dries out

The Milkman

I still have 20 left but me and my wife both discuss from time to time if we want to move after retirement. What made you choose AZ?
Tired of cutting grass, raking leaves and shoveling snow. If I want to see snow I can drive a few hours north to the Flagstaff area. Sold my 900 sq ft home in Jersey with $4500 taxes to buy a 40 year newer 2000 sq ft home with a 3 car garage that I can actually use, for about 10k less than what I sold our home for and taxes are $1100 a yr...Those savings alone pay my monthly utilities. Also bought an RV and wanted to be out here close to all the Native American stuff, national parks etc..6 hrs from Vegas, 8 from Moab Utah, about 6-8 hours from San Diego if we want to see the ocean. About 1/2 hr from Downtown Phoenix for baseball games and 45 Minutes for Football....close like in Jersey to NYC for that kind of stuff..Miss Good Pizza, White Diamonds (Burgers) White castles ( get em frozen here) also get my Pork roll here (Taylor Ham) and miss a good Texas Weiner chili dog......Don't miss the Jam packed roadways that were only getting worse and all the turbans at the gas stations..few out here by me but mostly can ya believe ..........American kids working behind the counter...........also love self serve gas stations..............In Jersey...Whoa... don't touch that pump....May iiiii heeeelp youuuuu

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
I retired on 3/28/14. Our house is on the market right now. It's a no brainer. By selling in the Bay Area in Ca. and moving to Oregon we will pay about a third as much for real estate. Property taxes will be about the same and most other items will be less. Expenses like good mechanics ( being the car guy I am) will be much less per hour. We will still be close to everything and with less people and less stress. More rain in the winter, but who cares. If we do not want to go out we won't. (Racism turban heads,really?)notwithstanding. Hopefully, Oregon has minimal racism.

By The Book

I retired on 3/28/14. Our house is on the market right now. It's a no brainer. By selling in the Bay Area in Ca. and moving to Oregon we will pay about a third as much for real estate. Property taxes will be about the same and most other items will be less. Expenses like good mechanics ( being the car guy I am) will be much less per hour. We will still be close to everything and with less people and less stress. More rain in the winter, but who cares. If we do not want to go out we won't. (Racism turban heads,really?)notwithstanding. Hopefully, Oregon has minimal racism.
After reading your post I had an unrelated question about your retirement date. Did you get retro pay from 8/1/13 to your retirement date, or did you string out sick days and vacation days to get you past 4/25/14 ratification date?

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Yes, I did tack vacation onto the end. My actual retirement date was 5/01/14. My retro check once I got it was about 1200.00 from 8/01/13 through 4/25/14.

By The Book

Yes, I did tack vacation onto the end. My actual retirement date was 5/01/14. My retro check once I got it was about 1200.00 from 8/01/13 through 4/25/14.
Good move on your part. I heard the retirees who were off the books prior to ratification were not paid.