Anybody use FMLA?

iruhnman630

My parents are in Florida for the month, and this evening I got that dreaded phone call...

The charter boat my dad was fishing on got hit by a big wave, and he is now in the hospital with a broken hip. At some point in the coming days, or weeks depending on how the surgery goes and his recovery time and his release to travel home, I will need time off to fly down there and drive the car home.

Think FMLA will cover the time off?

CaptainObvious

My parents are in Florida for the month, and this evening I got that dreaded phone call...

The charter boat my dad was fishing on got hit by a big wave, and he is now in the hospital with a broken hip. At some point in the coming days, or weeks depending on how the surgery goes and his recovery time and his release to travel home, I will need time off to fly down there and drive the car home.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Yes, FMLA will cover your time off.

InsideUPS

Absolutely..... Very sorry to hear about your father.... Prayers and Best Wishes for his recovery...

Note: Please notify UPS ASAP...

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.
Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligi- ble for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provid- ed by the FMLA.
Eligible employees are entitled up to a total of 12/6 weeks of unpaid leave during any twelve (12) month period for the following rea- sons:
1. Birth of a child;
2. Adoption, or placement for foster care;

3. To care for a spouse, child, or parent of the employee due to a serious health condition;
4. A serious health condition of the employee.

The employee’s seniority rights shall continue as if the employee had not taken leave under this section, and the Employer will main- tain health insurance coverage during the period of the leave.

The Employer may require the employee to substitute accrued paid vacation or other paid leave for part of the 12/6 week leave period. The employee is required to provide the Employer with at least thir- ty (30) days advance notice before FMLA leave begins if the need for leave is foreseeable. If the leave is not foreseeable, the employee is required to give notice as soon as practicable. The Employer has the right to require medical certification of a need for leave under this Act. In addition, the Employer has the right to require a second (2nd) opinion at the Employer’s expense.
- 43 -

Indecisi0n

It would be one thing if he were going down to Florida to take care of his father but if he is only going to fly down and then drive them back home that could easily be done on the weekend and not involve using FMLA.

So then why wouldn't you first ask the question, "Are you just bring them home or caring for them?" before you assume and make an @$$ out of yourself?

Indecisi0n

Go back and re-read the post----he clearly states that he would be flying down just to drive the car back home.

" At some point in the coming days, or weeks depending on how the surgery goes and his recovery time and his release to travel home, I will need time off to fly down there and drive the car home.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/anybody-use-fmla-349196/#ixzz2OGbbJwI0"

Sounds to me like his father is having surgery in FL and will need care until he is released to travel. Then he will come back with his son to his house. After that the son needs to go back and get his car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"I will need time off to fly down there and drive the car home" tells me that his role is limited to driving the car home, which could easily be done on the weekend with perhaps a personal day thrown in there. No need to (abuse) FMLA.

Indecisi0n

"I will need time off to fly down there and drive the car home" tells me that his role is limited to driving the car home, which could easily be done on the weekend with perhaps a personal day thrown in there. No need to (abuse) FMLA.

If what your saying is true then I agree with you. It would take him more time to file the paperwork and get it approved than to just fly down and drive the car back.

gray squirrel

I had to take time off when my mother had cancer, and then passed. UPS was very supportive, and gave me all the time I needed. It was time off without pay. Time with family is more important than this job. Hope your father gets well soon.

It would be one thing if he were going down to Florida to take care of his father but if he is only going to fly down and then drive them back home that could easily be done on the weekend and not involve using FMLA.

Go back and re-read the post----he clearly states that he would be flying down just to drive the car back home.

Where in the OPs post did it say he's in " weekend driving" distance of FL? He might be in WA state for all we know. Also, a broken hip isn't the most comfortable thing so how about we let the OP maybe stop when needed for his dads comfort.

To the OP, yes FMLA covers this and while you're at it make sure you apply for intermittent FMLA because your dads needs for assistance won't end when you arrive home. It will allow you to take time as needed for his care until he is well.

Or, take the advice of some and just take him back behind the barn and shoot him like a lame horse so you don't miss work.

fedupped

Well, simply, you state you need to take time off to take care of your father in fla. Broken hip and note from doctor shouldn't take very long to process. Give them an approximate time you will need, and then return when ready. ???

balland chain

Glad they were nice to you..when my father passed unexpectedly , I was given two days off and told by my supervisor thatI had to come back to work or I would loose my job. It was hell and something I can never forgive them of doing. My customers were shocked, my father passed on thursday, and I was back in the brown truck monday am.. I now have the FMLA papers put in and approved every year just incase a family emergency. Having FMLA protects you and your job . I will make sure I have that until I retire.. GL

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Glad they were nice to you..when my father passed unexpectedly , I was given two days off and told by my supervisor thatI had to come back to work or I would loose my job. It was hell and something I can never forgive them of doing. My customers were shocked, my father passed on thursday, and I was back in the brown truck monday am.. I now have the FMLA papers put in and approved every year just incase a family emergency. Having FMLA protects you and your job . I will make sure I have that until I retire.. GL

Article 29, Section 2. You should have had more time off.

balland chain

Your welcome to call it BS, but if you would like to see copies , send me your fax number.. I do it every year to protect myself.. I usually get allowed 7 days off a year, it is all based on the number of hours worked, and my doctor gladly fills out the forms ups sends me yearly for renewal and then faxes them back...

Your welcome to call it BS, but if you would like to see copies , send me your fax number.. I do it every year to protect myself.. I usually get allowed 7 days off a year, it is all based on the number of hours worked, and my doctor gladly fills out the forms ups sends me yearly for renewal and then faxes them back...

How are you only allowed 7 days off a year? Depending on your hours worked a year (pt or ft) you are eligible for either 6 or 12 weeks off if you apply for FMLA or Intermitant FMLA. The amount of it which would be paid depends on your accrued vacation time, the rest unpaid.