Anybody use FMLA?

iruhnman630

Thanx for the responses, and the concerns about placing family before the job expressed by most here.

We still don't know how the travel home is going to work. If the doctor clears him to fly, I will only be flying down to get the car and bring it home to Michigan. I figure 2 days since I'm not an Ironman able to make the straight-thru all nighter Florida drives I've made with friends in the past. But if we have to drive him home, I think 3 days will be necessary as I can't imagine spending more than a few hours at a time cramped in a car with a busted hip.

Either way, not looking forward to it.

I don't think FMLA will even be necessary, they told me they would give me the time off to make the trip. We'll see.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your welcome to call it BS, but if you would like to see copies , send me your fax number.. I do it every year to protect myself.. I usually get allowed 7 days off a year, it is all based on the number of hours worked, and my doctor gladly fills out the forms ups sends me yearly for renewal and then faxes them back...

How are you only allowed 7 days off a year? Depending on your hours worked a year (pt or ft) you are eligible for either 6 or 12 weeks off if you apply for FMLA or Intermitant FMLA. The amount of it which would be paid depends on your accrued vacation time, the rest unpaid.

Not to mention.... You can't be approved for FMLA based on some sort of "contingency" basis.

I "might" have a family member that needs my assistance.... or I "might" have a qualifying medical condition this year.

If this is being approved.... I know about 3000 UPS employee's that would like to be included.

-Bug-

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not to mention.... You can't be approved for FMLA based on some sort of "contingency" basis.

I "might" have a family member that needs my assistance.... or I "might" have a qualifying medical condition this year.

If this is being approved.... I know about 3000 UPS employee's that would like to be included.

-Bug-
I have applied every January 1st for FMLA for the past six years. It was to take my child for allergy injections for a life threatening reaction to bee stings. Every one has been approved for 18 days a year.
FMLA can also be used for chronic conditions such as dialysis.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have applied every January 1st for FMLA for the past six years. It was to take my child for allergy injections for a life threatening reaction to bee stings. Every one has been approved for 18 days a year.
FMLA can also be used for chronic conditions such as dialysis.

That's what it is for.

-Bug-

iruhnman630

Things became much more serious after I first posted this thread.

My dad's broken hip led to a heart attack and open-heart surgery. I spent last week, spring break week, in Florida, and am approved for 46 hours of FMLA to cover that week.

Strange thing in the paperwork, though. On the medical form signed by the doctor, the option is given to choose continuous leave, or intermittent leave. I chose intermittent, since I will need a second brief leave to help with the travel home in a few weeks. The form was rejected, and I had to resubmit it as one continuous leave with today as a return to work date, while a second separate leave is already preliminarilly approved.

Things became much more serious after I first posted this thread.

My dad's broken hip led to a heart attack and open-heart surgery. I spent last week, spring break week, in Florida, and am approved for 46 hours of FMLA to cover that week.

Strange thing in the paperwork, though. On the medical form signed by the doctor, the option is given to choose continuous leave, or intermittent leave. I chose intermittent, since I will need a second brief leave to help with the travel home in a few weeks. The form was rejected, and I had to resubmit it as one continuous leave with today as a return to work date, while a second separate leave is already preliminarilly approved.

That is absolute horseshzt. You are being manipulated. I would contact the DOL with this and get it straightened out. Your situation is the very definition of Intermitant leave.