Anyone else having issues with pick ups

FedExer267

Anyone else having issues with pick up accounts wanting you to wait around for a hour?
I understand its Christmas and alot of people want to get stuff out however can you really expect your driver to wait around a hour when we have other pickups in 5 zipcodes. Make one happy or pick up your others late. I have offered to comeback after I am finished with my route and they have told me no because they will be gone for the day. I have talked to my Contractor about this and his response was I DONT KNOW. So what would you guys do?
For right know I am being as nice as possible however if they expect me to bend over backwords for them they need to be willing to give a little to. I cannot screw my other pickups because of one.

packageguy

call your office/supervisor tell them what's going on put the ball in there court,
in the past i would take what they had ready and hope for a back up driver somewhere in area.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
call your office/supervisor tell them what's going on put the ball in there court,
in the past i would take what they had ready and hope for a back up driver somewhere in area.

Good advice. Once you cut a special deal with a customer, they'll expect it forever. IMO, it's best to "control" the customer. Do the best you can for them, but don't screw yourself in the bargain.

FedExer267

Thats good advice if it was a normal company. The problem is you talk to anyone in management they say talk to your contractor. It dosen't help when the Contractor says I don't know. The one driver that is around my route is about 8 miles away and works for a diffrent contractor so it would be up to them to get together and figure out if he can help however he is not going to want to put his driver in a situation of failures as well being that it would be a 16 mile round trip. I really hate to upset one of my customers but I guess I just need to be straight and say I can't do it I will screw myself and that will be my job on the line not theirs. I told them to use Express to get the package there quicker but they said no its to expensive. I am already picking them up 2 hours later than usual to help them out and it works out ok but ofcourse now they want it even later. So I guess tomorrow I will just tell them sorry I cant do it any later and see what happens.

We`re not the same company but here is how I would handle it. Show up at your scheduled time for them. If they are not ready tell them you`ll be happy to come back after you make all the pickups who are. If they complain about "not being there" then let them know you`ll be happy to pick up the then ready packages tomorrow at their scheduled time.

Don`t make it worse by making your four good pick ups wait on the bad one.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When they ask if you can come back later say "Sure, I'll be back in 24 hours, is that enough time?".

rod

Retired 22 years
As the old saying goes---if you give them an inch they will take a mile. Call your center immediately and ask if they want you to stick around. If need be let your pickup acct talk to your boss and let him be the bad guy (or the good guy) but above all let your boss make the decission. Usually the boss will have no backbone and will do what the customers wants which is just what you want. I personally never had a problem picking my nose waiting for some dillrod to get his last minute packages ready as long as the boss cleared it and made arrangements for my other pickups to be made.

LMAO!!! 4 pickups I wish. Eventually I will get there as long as I keep giving sales leads to the UPS driver. LOL

Oops. Went back and read the first post. Subtracted 1 bad pickup from the others in "5 zip codes" and came up with 4. Hell then, all the more reason for Mr Bad Pickup to be put in his place.

Sorry for the brain fart. I don`t have any pickups.

bbsam

Staff member
Simple answer: No, I can't wait and no I won't be back today. The company will back you on this or they will find someone else to go back later. That's why the customers agree with the sales department to "pickup windows".

FedExer267

I see where your coming from rod the thing here is I have talked to the center they say talk to your contractor. I usually dont mind helping out my customers as I am the one that deals with them day to day. I just dont want to screw myself in the process. It dosen't help when the response you get from your boss (contractor) is I don't know. If this is his business mind at work, I am suprised he is still in business.
I think the best thing for me to do is to tell them I haven given them all the extra time that I can. I have other customers that need to be picked up as well. If they are not willing to wait around for me to get back then I really cant do anything for them. I will just continue to call my boss and keep him in the loop so when he gets the phone call from them he can tell them I dont know. Maybe he can make arrangements for my other pick ups or get off his but and go get them himself, afterall he is the boss.

bbsam

Staff member
The customer can also drop packages off at the terminal or a WSC (world service center) so it's not like they don't have options.

FedExer267

The customer can also drop packages off at the terminal or a WSC (world service center) so it's not like they don't have options.
I do believe there is a Kinkos somewhere over there. So I will tell them to take the rest there or I will be back in 24 hours.
There big complaint to me has been they need me to wait because they want to get everything they can done and when they ship it by Ground they know there are weather delays. They are paying for a service which I need to provide basically they will tell me how high to jump. If I am there in the window I have fulfilled my end of the deal and like I said I have already given them extra time so tomorrow I will tell them use Express, go to kinkos, or I will be back in 24 hours.

bbsam

Staff member
I do believe there is a Kinkos somewhere over there. So I will tell them to take the rest there or I will be back in 24 hours.
There big complaint to me has been they need me to wait because they want to get everything they can done and when they ship it by Ground they know there are weather delays. They are paying for a service which I need to provide basically they will tell me how high to jump. If I am there in the window I have fulfilled my end of the deal and like I said I have already given them extra time so tomorrow I will tell them use Express, go to kinkos, or I will be back in 24 hours.

News Flash: The shipping business has weather delays. UPS, Ground, Express, Freight, etc. all of therm. They know that and they know the pickup window. Now if you want to use an unreasonable expectation of a customer as an excuse to bash Fedex, that is up to you. But really, they are just playin' you for their own convenience.

FedExer267

News Flash: The shipping business has weather delays. UPS, Ground, Express, Freight, etc. all of therm. They know that and they know the pickup window. Now if you want to use an unreasonable expectation of a customer as an excuse to bash Fedex, that is up to you. But really, they are just playin' you for their own convenience.

You arent telling us anything we dont know, that is the risk you take when you ship freight. It is not a bashing Fedex post the only thing I said I believe was that my boss has a answer of I dont know. It is not FedEx's problem this guy cant figure out how to run a business.

bbsam

Staff member
You arent telling us anything we dont know, that is the risk you take when you ship freight. It is not a bashing Fedex post the only thing I said I believe was that my boss has a answer of I dont know. It is not FedEx's problem this guy cant figure out how to run a business.
Then we are in complete agreement.

bbsam

Staff member
Hmmmm. Next business venture: "How to" book. Maybe my almost English degree will come in helpfurl after all!:happy-very:

SmithBarney

I usually show up at the ready time... I have 30 plus pups, I tell the customer I won't be back in the area(until later for dropboxes)
and point them in the direction of the nearest dropbox, and if the pkg is too large, I tell them what time(roughly)
the driver will be there(that driver being me)