Anyone ever went through or has known anyone that have have gotten alcohol withdrawals?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
If so, how did you or they overcome it? I think I’ve been hitting the sauce too hard, and too often. Blood pressure has been up, and anxiety has been through the roof. Went to the ER due to it a few days ago, and the doc said to get clean again. I honestly wish I never relapsed.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If so, how did you or they overcome it? I think I’ve been hitting the sauce too hard, and too often. Blood pressure has been up, and anxiety has been through the roof. Went to the ER due to it a few days ago, and the doc said to get clean again. I honestly wish I never relapsed.

You drink at work?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
You drink at work?
No. Just at home after work or when at an event. I read about the rehab section in the NMA. I was actually doing a lot worse before I started drinking if you can believe it. I took a Lyft to a detox clinic a few hours ago, but turns out it was torn down. I’ll just wait for an urgent care or my PCP to open and I’ll head there. I just want to sleep a bit since I’ve been running on 3 hour sleep. Currently calm. I think from now on I’ll leave the drinking to the professionals, lol.

Last edited:

allahuakbar

She/Her
Def have a talk with @Integrity he can probably offer some insight that you won’t get from a lot of us on here. Hope all goes well man. You got this! Sometimes the only way is to go sober all around. (No cigs or weed either)

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
No. Just at home after work or when at an event. I read about the rehab section in the NMA. I was actually doing a lot worse before I started drinking if you can believe it. I took a Lyft to a detox clinic a few hours ago, but turns out it was torn down. I’ll just wait for an urgent care or my PCP to open and I’ll head there. I just want to sleep a bit since I’ve been running on 3 hour sleep. Currently calm. I think from now on I’ll leave the drinking to the professionals, lol.
I know a number of drivers who've had drinking problems, man.

It always seems like it ends the same way. Marriage falls apart, friends all disappear, and they just spiral. It's not a road I'd wish on anybody.

I'm not gonna pretend to know much about it, but I think the outdoors works wonders. Especially with you talking about blood pressure and anxiety. Lots of outdoors time, lots of sunshine. Going for walks at a local park would probably be a good idea, and could double duty as an easy way to slip in a workout.

It always seems like it ends the same way. Marriage falls apart, friends all disappear, and they just spiral. It's not a road I'd wish on anybody.

I'm not gonna pretend to know much about it, but I think the outdoors works wonders. Especially with you talking about blood pressure and anxiety. Lots of outdoors time, lots of sunshine. Going for walks at a local park would probably be a good idea, and could double duty as an easy way to slip in a workout.
Thank you integrity junior

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
AA

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
As for the detoxing part, most of the symptoms are due to severe dehydration. Sip on some water, pop some Advil, or aspirin, and maybe eat some fibrous veggies with high water content to help slow the alcohol absorption, and calm your stomach if it's bothering you. Certainly do your best to abstain for as long as you can to take some time to sort yourself out.

My criticism of AA is that it mostly keeps you weak, convincing you that you are controlled by alcohol and so the focus is on abstinence. I think a better approach is to figure out why you drink too much and too often, then take responsibility for that, and overcome it. A mentally healthy, robust person ought to be able to have a couple drinks from time to time without going overboard.

UnionStrong

As for the detoxing part, most of the symptoms are due to severe dehydration. Sip on some water, pop some Advil, or aspirin, and maybe eat some fibrous veggies with high water content to help slow the alcohol absorption, and calm your stomach if it's bothering you. Certainly do your best to abstain.

My criticism of AA is that it mostly keeps you weak, convincing you that you are controlled by alcohol and so the focus is on abstinence. I think a better approach is to figure out why you drink too much and too often, then take responsibility for that, and overcome it. A mentally healthy, robust person ought to be able to have a couple drinks from time to time without going overboard.
Alcoholism is not about simply abstaining. It’s a disease. Some people can handle alcohol, others have a predisposition to abuse it and other substances.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Alcoholism is not about simply abstaining. It’s a disease. Some people can handle alcohol, others have a predisposition to abuse it and other substances.

It's not a disease, maybe a mental disorder. AA is all about convincing yourself that it is out of your control, so better to abstain. Truly overcoming alcoholism is about taking responsibility for yourself, overcoming a victimhood mentality (It's all the alcohol's fault, I can't control myself), and figuring out why you drink too much and taking steps to get stronger.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
As for the detoxing part, most of the symptoms are due to severe dehydration. Sip on some water, pop some Advil, or aspirin, and maybe eat some fibrous veggies with high water content to help slow the alcohol absorption, and calm your stomach if it's bothering you. Certainly do your best to abstain for as long as you can to take some time to sort yourself out.

Don't drinkers invent creative reasons why they are not controlled by booze?

UnionStrong

It's not a disease, maybe a mental disorder. AA is all about convincing yourself that it is out of your control, so better to abstain. Truly overcoming alcoholism is about taking responsibility for yourself, overcoming a victimhood mentality (It's all the alcohol's fault, I can't control myself), and figuring out why you drink too much and taking steps to get stronger.
That my friend is just your opinion. As much as I respect you, I have to say you’re wrong. Too many studies will contradict you. You’re lucky you’re not afflicted. It’s also been described as a body allergy. It’s has nothing to do with victimhood mentality. I know some very successful alcoholics from good families. There’s no typical alcoholic.

oldngray

nowhere special

I knew a driver who was working 3 out of 4 weeks just to pay for his ex wives and he eventually got fired for coming to work drunk