Anyone got some advice for a new loader in the twilight shift?

mr_bennet

My first day was on Friday and I worked in a flatbed truck. In my truck I get smalls so I have to make my own bags and load the ones that already come bagged. I really want to do a good job and learn to build a safe secure wall at a good pace. Are there any tips you can give me to achieve this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

browniehound

My first day was on Friday and I worked in a flatbed truck. In my truck I get smalls so I have to make my own bags and load the ones that already come bagged. I really want to do a good job and learn to build a safe secure wall at a good pace. Are there any tips you can give me to achieve this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Bennet,
You appear extremely motivated to do a good job. To be earning $8.50 an hour and have your attitude means you're a special person. You will succeed at UPS in my opinion at anything you choose or want to do!

Its all about attitude and you have the positive kind. You don't need our advice. Just do what the trainers instruct you to do and you will be better than OK.

Please let us know how things go,

Brownie:peaceful:

P.S.
I hope you're not a troll and attempting to embarass me. Sorry to bring it up, but you seem a little too excited about "building safe walls", when earning $8.50/hour to do so?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If you only have one day invested my advice to you is to proceed to the nearest exit and run to your car and don't look back. UPS is now possibly the worst part time job on the market. $8.50/hr is nothing short of a shame for the work that's demanded of you. I was hired 22 yrs ago at $8.00/hr which was good money then. Save yourself and go make tacos for the same money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Man, why does everyone say "go find another job?" Some people actually like the work environment.

Who enjoys loading trailers? Sadists? Masochists? Lobotomy recipients?

If "everyone" is saying it, there must be something to it.

$8.50/hr x 4hrs = $34 - taxes - gas = $20 a day.
You're right, it must be the work enviroment that keeps these people coming back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Man, why does everyone say "go find another job?" Some people actually like the work environment.

It's not the work environment. I personally see nothng wrong with a little hard work. It's the starting wage. Bubblehead related how he made $8/hr when he was hired 22 years ago. I would be curious to see what they would be in today's dollars. (If I had to guess I would say $14-15/hr).

We have already lost 3 employees who went to work for the city. They are making $11/hour for a lot less work.

tieguy

Banned
If you only have one day invested my advice to you is to proceed to the nearest exit and run to your car and don't look back. UPS is now possibly the worst part time job on the market. $8.50/hr is nothing short of a shame for the work that's demanded of you. I was hired 22 yrs ago at $8.00/hr which was good money then. Save yourself and go make tacos for the same money.

Just think when they all take your advice then you will be loading their trailers instead of them.

dillweed

You're only one day into it! It's going to take some time and experience to get those walls right. I've never loaded trailers so can't give you any specifics but work as directed best you can and take a peek at how others are doing it.

Wanting to do the job right is a good indication that you will. Wish we had more like you at our center. Let us know how you're doing. :happy2:

mr_bennet

Today was my second day in the trailer. They had me roll misloaded packages to the conveyor belt like 5 times today so that effected my packages scanned. I only had 325 today. I was looking for the trainer or the part time supervisor to say something about it or at least give me a few tips, but all they seem to be worried about is whether or not I want to quit.

I want to earn my check not just have it handed to me because I show up to work everyday.

drewed

Shankman
Today was my second day in the trailer. They had me roll misloaded packages to the conveyor belt like 5 times today so that effected my packages scanned. I only had 325 today. I was looking for the trainer or the part time supervisor to say something about it or at least give me a few tips, but all they seem to be worried about is whether or not I want to quit.

I want to earn my check not just have it handed to me because I show up to work everyday.

its hard to find good people, and its even harder to get them to stay for 8.50
take your time, learn the basics, remember six sided checks, iregs and over 70s on the ground preferably under the rollers, pack em high and tight and bags go on top

i think thats a good idea. every aspiring loader should play tetris berfore working. i load 300-500 packages every hour and work like 2.5 hours at air international belt.

exupser87

Old thread, but I do have some advice:

Get into the habit of looking for the LABEL instead of the package. You will get your hands on the box soon enough, but if you stand there fumbling for a look at the label after you have picked up your package, you will be VERY tired after 3-4 hours. Try to spot the address, and move the package 1 time, with 1 movement. If it doesn't look good where you put it, LEAVE it there and try to do better with the rest. You don't have time to move a package more than ONCE.

The new loader ususally goes tries to fill the trailer( used to be called a feeder ) by stacking packages on top of one another, resulting on columns. Generally speaking, this is what a new loader needs to do, except laterally, not vertically. A new loader will recognize that he is building columns just like he wants to, except they are sideways. This will help to create the shelves and weight distribution that UPS wants if a loader builds walls laterally. When building you shelves, just set them up there, and tighten the shelf by wedging packages on the ends of the shelf, that way the shelf is tigh by wedging only 1 package.

Whenever entering or leaving the feeder, check a minimum of 2 bags - 2 leaving and 2 getting back in.

Check numerous packages in the bag. Small sorters have to know many zips and zip splits, so their chances of misloading into a bag is high.

If you don't have perfect vision, go get your eyes check and your new prescription filled. My experience has been that, not surprisingly, most of the best loaders had exceptional eyesight.

If the pickoff man or sorter sends a missort into your load, let him know. You will have less misloads if you have less possibilities coming into your load.

Concentrate on efficiency. Less moves means more speed and less fatigue. Try to maintain a rythm.

If it gets real slow, check for a jam on the belt. If nothing is coming down your load chute, it's not because you're lucky. 99% of the time, there is a jam building up.

Don't try to put a very heavy package up high just because it's the right size. It will crush other boxes before it gets to it's destination. Start a new wall with it instead.

If anybody tells you that they never had any UPS nightmares after they started, they're lying. It gets easier.

If a belt motor catches on fire, let it burn. Not much to burn inside an electric motor and the maintanence guys HATE that white powder.

Last but not least, develope a READING HABIT. You won't be there long if you load the wrong packages.