Anyone heard of the 1 year probation rule?

Brownbass24

We have 1 Full time driver slot available for a new hire and i am next in line... But the problem is i have been a part time cover driver for 9 years. Every time i would get close to going full time something would happen to delay me from going full time. This past reason was because i was in an accident and was told that i couldn't go full time for a year because of the accident. Has anyone else heard of a rule that you had to go "accident free" for a year before you could go full time? this is what im being told but can't find it anywhere in the union book about this "rule"... Help would appreciated!

Thanks!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We have 1 Full time driver slot available for a new hire and i am next in line... But the problem is i have been a part time cover driver for 9 years. Every time i would get close to going full time something would happen to delay me from going full time. This past reason was because i was in an accident and was told that i couldn't go full time for a year because of the accident. Has anyone else heard of a rule that you had to go "accident free" for a year before you could go full time? this is what im being told but can't find it anywhere in the union book about this "rule"... Help would appreciated!

Thanks!
Yes I've heard of that rule in reference to a driver who had a backing accident in his first 30 days....he was DQ'd and was told he had to wait a year to go FT again.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Thanks!
Mgmnt can waive that rule if they want you as a full timer.

PT Car Washer

We also have the rule that you have to be accident free in the previous 12 months. This spring a new PT Air Driver broke a mirror going thru the wash tunnel. DQed him for a year even though this has happened before with nothing more then told to write it up.

barnyard

KTM rider
Seen it happen to several people. If you have problems with hitting things, you are best off not air driving or TCD or any of it.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am next in line with my seniority... Been a cover driver for 9 years...

I have seen the exact thing happen to a guy in an extended center. He was PT for 12 or 13 years and was asked to cover drive at peak. He knew a perm FT bid was going to be hung in the Spring, so he said no, it was not worth the risk to him. His center manager talked him into it and a couple weeks into peak he slid the rear end of his package car into a dumpster. He was DQd for a year.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Can you tell me where in the union book to find this rule?
It's not in the union book. It is an established company policy that the union has accepted, and makes sure the co. does not apply it selectively; or will negotiate the effects (on the members) of the co. changing said policy.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have seen the exact thing happen to a guy in an extended center. He was PT for 12 or 13 years and was asked to cover drive at peak. He knew a perm FT bid was going to be hung in the Spring, so he said no, it was not worth the risk to him. His center manager talked him into it and a couple weeks into peak he slid the rear end of his package car into a dumpster. He was DQd for a year.
Lesson learned...Don't let management talk you into anything!

Brownbass24

It's not in the union book. It is an established company policy that the union has accepted, and makes sure the co. does not apply it selectively; or will negotiate the effects (on the members) of the co. changing said policy.

So where can i find this policy? Our union president said that this isn't a current policy and that i cannot be withheld from a FT position if one comes available...

PT Car Washer

Not sure how things work in your local but if you are going from PT to FT it is just like being hired over again. UPS can set their own pre qualification standards for a new FT driver candidate.

barnyard

KTM rider
and if you push it, the may give you a shot to shut you up and then DQ you during your probation.

Even if you win, you lose.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
So where can i find this policy? Our union president said that this isn't a current policy and that i cannot be withheld from a FT position if one comes available...
Either your HR rep will have the current policy for your area or it may be on UPSers.com, or listed on the bid sheet if that's how they promote to FT pkg drvr in your area.
If that doesn't match what your Local President has, then the Union should know the next steps; that's their job. I could list several things I think they would/should do, but they're the professionals.

Did you just want to take an informal survey about this? So far people from 4 different areas of the country have agreed that it's true where they are with a 5th not specifically answering.

I hope it works out for you.

Either your HR rep will have the current policy for your area or it may be on UPSers.com, or listed on the bid sheet if that's how they promote to FT pkg drvr in your area.
If that doesn't match what your Local President has, then the Union should know the next steps; that's their job. I could list several things I think they would/should do, but they're the professionals.

Did you just want to take an informal survey about this? So far people from 4 different areas of the country have agreed that it's true where they are with a 5th not specifically answering.

I hope it works out for you.
We have had air driver,have small fender benders. not allowed to sign a bid,becausethey had an accident In the last 12 months.

But they are still good enough,to drive air everyday!

Go figure??

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
We have had air driver,have small fender benders. not allowed to sign a bid,becausethey had an accident In the last 12 months.

But they are still good enough,to drive air everyday!

Go figure??
Same policy here. As long as they made it through probation as a PT air driver, they can remain a PT air driver and get the letter/suspension/discharge discipline. Retake the DOK tests and get a safety ride.

But not eligible for promotion to FT package for 1 year.

Last edited: