Anyone here anything about layoffs??

Hemdazon

Im here on Long Island and the word is, come the 1st of the new year they are going to start laying off. starting with PTers. I heard it could be up to 5 years of sensiorty or lower. work has been slow but i didnt think that slow. right now they are starting to get us inside full time guys off the clock exactly at 8 hour, no more OT. Is this happening anywhere else? any of the rumors heard anywhere else?

If this has been mentioned sorry for the double post

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Im here on Long Island and the word is, come the 1st of the new year they are going to start laying off. starting with PTers. I heard it could be up to 5 years of sensiorty or lower. work has been slow but i didnt think that slow. right now they are starting to get us inside full time guys off the clock exactly at 8 hour, no more OT. Is this happening anywhere else? any of the rumors heard anywhere else?

If this has been mentioned sorry for the double post

You have to expect layoffs after peak. This is a tradition of UPS to adjust to decreasing volumes. I have heard too about people with less than 5 years senority to expect a cut in the hours they work or being laid off until volume returns.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I don't know if I'm out of line, but laying off part-time workers is easier to swallow than laying off full-time drivers. Sending a driver back into preload would be smarter than giving him a pink slip.
Whoever gets layed off anyways is entitled to come back as long as you made seniority

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Heff, it's the same difference isn't it? FT gets laid off and bumps a PT time out of their position on preload or nite sort or both. We are still guaranteed 8 hrs.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Had a 4 year driver ask me yesterday about this very question. I replied that within our local there are several buildings with a lot of p/t's that could be bumped. That made him quite happy.
The only down side could be to get 8 hours one might have to split shift in different buildings.

PAUPSER

I’m here in PA and are center manager already informed us that their will be a lot of layoffs in January, which layoffs happen ever time after peak but he said this next year will be a lot worse then previous years. I was also told to expect anyone with less then 5 years seniority to be laid off, starting with the part-timers obviously. We have been so slow that they haven’t started any driver helpers and or seasonal workers inside which hasn’t happen in the fours that I have been here until now.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Hell, I've been laid off for 5 weeks now.... Rumor is another 50 drivers in my hub on 1-1-09. Some feeders guys have been back inside for 7 months already.

It's coming, we have full time drivers being used at runners just to get there 8 in, we also have 4 drivers with 20yrs plus with the company that transfered into our building and are at the bottom, they will bump part-timers next yr. Have any see mechanic's get laid off? They are not replacing the ones who get fired or quit, and 8 hours only since April.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you get laid off bump into ptime to retain your benefits, you go on lay off and they should be done within 30 days or end of the month.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ups has no idea what kind of spikes that the dhl volume is going to give ups. The number of 4 billion dollars of dhl volume out there, much of that coming to ups. Ups has no idea, but theres talk of layoffs....typical, make huge changes before you even know whats going to happen.Its good business sense to be concerned, but why say this or that before you know anything?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Had a 4 year driver ask me yesterday about this very question. I replied that within our local there are several buildings with a lot of p/t's that could be bumped. That made him quite happy.
The only down side could be to get 8 hours one might have to split shift in different buildings.

Talking about laying off hundreds of people up this way in the big leagues.

JDMC1212

i havent heard of any layoffs here in ontario california. just today ive been hearing about how its going to pick up because of the two huge accounts we are trying to pick up from dhl. crossing fingers....

stringerman85

ups has no idea what kind of spikes that the dhl volume is going to give ups. The number of 4 billion dollars of dhl volume out there, much of that coming to ups. Ups has no idea, but theres talk of layoffs....typical, make huge changes before you even know whats going to happen.Its good business sense to be concerned, but why say this or that before you know anything?

I agree, And who is actually saying all this crap that everyone hears? Just people talking rumors is all it is...Our volume always decreases in January, With DHL gone, It won't be as bad as originally expected, There will be probably be a few layoffs but to say 5 years or less seniority is just a silly rumor thrown out there, nobody knows yet..

New Englander

Especially since five years doesn't mean a damn thing. 5 years of seniority here could be completely different in terms of drivers some where else.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We lost 6 drivers since March. All 20 year plus. One quit, one went into feeders, 4 retired. No driver layoff issue here, thank goodness.

finaddict

Here's some feeder news. 4-10hr days! SWEEEEEETTTTT!!! I don't need, want or care to think about a 60hr week. Gimmee 4/10's. But there are some 8 and the gate 5 days too. We're going to have some serious labor issues on subcontracting this "peak".