Anyone make more money than me this week?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Lmfao. Read your post. HS everything to do with your post.

You're :censored2: about paying too much in taxes. The other posters are claiming (for example) that if they work 60 hours, it's the same net pay as if they worked 52, as taxes completely swallow the entire additional amount. That's 100% bogus. Paycheck withholdings are based on income & exemptions, so it's possible (although doubtful) that paycheck withholdings may make net pay similar, but when you file your taxes, it that paycheck tipped you into the next bracket, you'll pay 3% more of your pay + any possible increase in state/local taxes. That's it. 3% is a far cry from 100%.

My response was based on what I know from personal experience as a 1099 independent contract employee as an agricultural pilot, not necessarily a UPS driver working lots of OT. In my situation I was lucky enough to jump into a tax bracket this year that I'd never been in before and I actually will take home less than last year even though I grossed more. But 1099 employees get to pay FICA & and all that other that employers typically pick up.

Like I said, paycheck withholdings are done for convenience; taxes withheld are accurate ONLY when each paycheck is similar. For many hourlies at UPS, this is simply untrue. I've had a $100 paycheck (worked one day of my vacation) in which virtually no taxes were withheld -- because the assumption is that this will be my pay throughout the year, thus I'll pay no taxes. I just had a $2000+ paycheck in which nearly half was withheld in taxes. This is far beyond my tax liability. My true liability is calculated when I file my taxes. Because of the excessive year-end withholdings -- as a PTer, typically 20% or more of my pay is earned in the final 6 weeks of the year -- I've adjusted my exemptions up to compensate. This means that if my tax liability were calculated from Jan-mid. Nov, I'd owe Uncle Sam a big chunk of change + probably a minor penalty. But toss on those extra six weeks, and it winds up being close to 0 (some years pay a little, some years receive a little). Many other UPSers have adjusted their exemptions up as well on the advice of their tax professional, but do not realize the reason why. Of course, some guys like getting thousands of dollars back. Not sure why you want to give Uncle Sam a 0% interest loan, though.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Bla bla bla bla bla. I can take a picture of my check and send it to you. U disagreed with my statement of how much was withheld from my check you :censored2:. Grow up :censored2:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bla bla bla bla bla. I can take a picture of my check and send it to you. U disagreed with my statement of how much was withheld from my check you :censored2:. Grow up :censored2:

Type 12 more paragraphs if u want. I'm not going to read any of your babel. Fact is fact. Talk is cheap

You clearly didn't read anything I wrote. Don't worry, I'm not going to waste my time interacting with ******.

Last edited by a moderator:

gingerkat

Brown, you're kinda wrong here. Bagles is pretty much spot on to what he is saying about taxation here. If you have to "hold your breath" (I know you were teasing) clearly you have the wrong accountant doing your taxes.

gingerkat

Some of the members know what I did by trade in the past. I was a CPA with a large firm. My main partner was the main tax partner so that was my realm. Just because you don't like what someone has to say, doesn't mean you shouldn't listen.

Bagles has some very good knowledge of tax & accounting rules, which is pretty awesome.

gingerkat

Because you and bagles are both wrong
Would you like to sit down and talk tax code with me? Would you like to sit down and do all the all corporation tax returns, gift, death, etc., and then we can talk about individual? Please stop being a ******. Sometimes it's better to stop when you're ahead. Oh wait, you're not ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

gingerkat

So that's a yes? There's hope for me! It's funny how you tell me that we're wrong, but you refuse to tell me how so. I don't tell you that your method of working at UPS is wrong, yet you tell me that my area of expertise is wrong?

Bring a pillow, tax talk is boring...

gingerkat

Really sir? Is that all you can do is give me a thumbs down? Whats the matter? Busy on the internet looking up tax info? LOL

Nice try, but your over your head when it comes to this. If you're such a wiz at numbers, why isn't your 2 million at 4 million?

Edited to add, if you want I'll just give you my tax code books vs. googling

gingerkat

A thousand apologies to the moderators. Apparently my letter and word combo isn't appreciated. Sorry.

I should have said vinegar + water

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This thread shows the true character of some members.

Member: My most recent paycheck had 10 more hours on it, yet the net pay was nearly identical as the last! No wonder this country's so ****** up.
Me: Paychecks do not represent actual, just estimated, tax liability. If you're lucky enough to make it into the next tax bracket, you'll only owe an additional 3% tax + possible state/local increases; the reason for the difference in your check has to due with your irregular hours and UPS's payroll. Actual liability is determined when you file your taxes.
Member: I don't care what you say, you're wrong, want to see my check?
Me: (Tries explaining it again.)
Member: LALALALALALA You're so wrong!

No, the real problem with his country is people who are too ignorant to educate themselves, and instead want to live off a life of fallacies and misnomers.