Apparently Anybody Can Vote???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Part time supervisors and seasonal help are receiving contract ballots in my local.
What more can happen to this screw up?

Last edited:

stink219

Part time supervisors and seasonal help are receiving contract ballots in my local.
What more can happen to screw up?
Their ballots will be in an automated contested vote pile. Once they determine the votes are ineligible they will be discarded. I doubt that sups and helpers are current on dues.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Their ballots will be in an automated contested vote pile. Once they determine the votes are ineligible they will be discarded. I doubt that sups and helpers are current on dues.

They haven't got much of anything else right, what makes you think they will get this right?
Wrong return envelopes, missing ballots.
Oh ye of blind faith.

​If it makes you feel better, I want to believe it too, but for different reasons.

stink219

They haven't got much of anything else right, what makes you think they will get this right?
Wrong return envelopes, missing ballots.
Oh ye of blind faith.

​If it makes you feel better, I want to believe it too, but for different reasons.
Because someone would have to be checking off these employees as "paid up to date" for dues. Do you think the union would negate collecting their money? Conversely, your local should be keeping this info current. If someone got through the cracks, it's more a local issue. I've validated 1000's of ballots in local elections and votes. People don't just slip in.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Because someone would have to be checking off these employees as "paid up to date" for dues. Do you think the union would negate collecting their money? Conversely, your local should be keeping this info current. If someone got through the cracks, it's more a local issue. I've validated 1000's of ballots in local elections and votes. People don't just slip in.

Stink, this has me scratching my head the more I think about it.
The ballots are obviously going to be hand counted, while eligibility is "automated"?
We have all seen the ballots and return envelopes.
The color coded, perforated, tear off Nation/Regional/Local ballots marked with an X.

Why isn't the voting and counting more "automated"?...

It has to be doesn't it???...

Seems like they are counting them by hand to me???

Your right though, the ballots going to supervisors and seasonal employees may very well be a local problem.

stink219

Why isn't the voting and counting more "automated"?...
I'm not completely sure. Essentially you are talking about 2 piles. A NO pile and YES pile. Maybe after the separation of piles there is a machine counter. Not fully sure. Like I said, I do local ones and it's all by hand so each can be validated by other observers.

Seems like they are counting them by hand to me???
As they may. This maybe an international rule in the bylaws on voting. I can't say for sure if another method will be employed.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
They are first put through an automatic sorter in while still in their secret ballot envelope. There's a barcode on them with the name attached and if they're not members in good standing, it'll kick them automatically.

browned_out

They are first put through an automatic sorter in while still in their secret ballot envelope. There's a barcode on them with the name attached and if they're not members in good standing, it'll kick them automatically.

I was wondering about a certain line on the Official Ballot Instructions that reads: DO NOT remove the computer label on back of the RETURN ENVELOPE. If the label is not intact, your ballot may be voided.

Guess what, ther was no computer label on the back of my envelope. Another screw up??????

oldngray

nowhere special
I was wondering about a certain line on the Official Ballot Instructions that reads: DO NOT remove the computer label on back of the RETURN ENVELOPE. If the label is not intact, your ballot may be voided.

Guess what, ther was no computer label on the back of my envelope. Another screw up??????

Don't worry. They will vote for you if that happens. The count might be unanimous in favor.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry. They will vote for you if that happens. The count might be unanimous in favor.

I remember the first time I voted in a Teamster election. It was in the late '70s and I went to a motel near a Yellow Freight terminal to cast my ballot. It looked like a scene out of "The Godfather" movie, a couple of old and fat Old Guard types smoking cigars sat next to a card table with the ballot box sitting on it. The table had a tablecloth on it, I remember wondering if there was a trash can under the table to catch the ballot cards.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

​Don't worry about it ... that rule applies only if it is a No vote.

Inthegame

If there was no bar code/printed name on the back of your return envelope, request a replacement. An envelope without that eligibility information will not be counted.