Applying for PT package handler

edlloyd

Hi. need advice on which shift would be the best to apply for. I have the choice of all 4 package handler shifts. sunrise, day, twilight, night. I am not looking for the easiest shift, but the shift i would get the most hours, the most experience and the most chance of moving up. thanks in advance for the help. also first post on this forum. if anyone already works at my hub it would be the * hub.

Howe909

for hours i would do night... at my hub night gets alot more hours then pre-load, unless u are an air driver in the pre-load... then pre-load gets more

edlloyd

Thanks for the reply. Is it my understanding that preload is loading the delivery cars and the other shifts are loading/unloading trailers?

blkmamba

Yes, pre-load for the most part is loading package cars and unloading trailers. However, it varies from building to building for who gets the most hours. Your best bet would be a night or twilight shift. I would recommend twilight because working nights can really mess with your body. As far as moving up, that is based on seniority only. Unless, you are looking for management which as a former p/t sup I would NOT recommend.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If the hub has a day sort, I'd bet that shift gets the most hours. That's how it is here at least. It really varies from place to place.

Chance of "moving up" is the same for every shift whether you want to go into management or drive.... although I wouldn't call becoming a part time supervisor moving up.

PT Car Washer

Twi I would say works better for people with a day job. You had better have a day job or plan on sleeping in your car. Hours varies but, usually only work 3.5 to 5 hours a day.

edlloyd

Thank you tropolis for making me feel more horrible and ashamed than I already am being 40 and unemployed. This has really boosted my confidence. Thanks a bunch.

tropolis

Thank you tropolis for making me feel more horrible and ashamed than I already am being 40 and unemployed. This has really boosted my confidence. Thanks a bunch.

not taking shots at you, im giving you advice. i did a walkthrough years ago and its hard work. if you are unemployed, continue to collect unemployment and go do a career program at a junior college. if you accelerate, you can complete the program in a year. fall, spring, summer classes.

thats a young man game.

​you dont see 40 + year olds sorting.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
not taking shots at you, im giving you advice. i did a walkthrough years ago and its hard work. if you are unemployed, continue to collect unemployment and go do a career program at a junior college. if you accelerate, you can complete the program in a year. fall, spring, summer classes.

thats a young man game.

​you dont see 40 + year olds sorting.
Omg...it's battle of the trolls. To the OP...don't listen to the clowns two posts above me....they're as useless as they are inbred. If you're unemployed, I'd take the job....something is always better than nothing. You can always quit if you find something better. There are 40+ year olds working the preload in my building...not easy but you'll survive. Tropolis...do you EVEN work for ups?