APWA in New Orleans

705red

Browncafe Steward
If he withdrew from the union, he has no right to vote if it comes to a decertification vote!!!! I have a feeling most of the apwa are either withdrawn teamsters or management.

nospinzone

If he withdrew from the union, he has no right to vote if it comes to a decertification vote!!!! I have a feeling most of the apwa are either withdrawn teamsters or management.
705, you are mistaken on who is eligible to vote. Please review the NLRB website on the eligible voting block for an election. Any employee covered by a collective bargaining agreement is eligible to vote, regardless of their membership status. (pg 16 of the Basic Guide to the NLRA)

705red

Browncafe Steward
705, you are mistaken on who is eligible to vote. Please review the NLRB website on the eligible voting block for an election. Any employee covered by a collective bargaining agreement is eligible to vote, regardless of their membership status. (pg 16 of the Basic Guide to the NLRA)
Im man enough to admit i was wrong. Hes not able to vote for current local or international elections, strike votes or contract votes. Thank you nospin for correcting me.

satellitedriver

Brett, you mean to tell me after all your great wisdom about this APWA you haven't even given it a fair chance and been to a meeting?:blush:
Fair chance? Heck, he seems not to even give it any chance. Why chance it and have to consider other options. That just is not the teamster way.

satellitedriver

Satelite did you withdraw from the teamsters or are you in management?
Yes I quit the union in 1997 because of the strike. I stood at the picketline face to face with all the drivers and said If anyone can give me a rational argument not to cross the line I would not. They could not. I was not going to cross that line without my shoulders square and in full daylight. Call me a scab or any other name you can think of. I was man enough to face a crowd alone, not knowing what could go down. What happened to UPS employees because of internal teamster conflicts for power was the genesis for the shape of my pension today.
I was offered a management position after my first three months fulltime at UPS. I had observed how personel could be moved without regard to their family situation and declined. I have been a just a driver since. Almost, 21 yrs.

satellitedriver

Satellite is a driver. He quit the union during the '97 strike. I asked him the same question about being in management once. His answer: "I will never wear that collar." I forget under what thread this was made. -Rocky
You have a good memory.
My motto is : Na Colla Na Croin
Old language meaning "I will wear no collar nor a crown"
Modern day meaning " I am no less than you nor am I better"

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yes I quit the union in 1997 because of the strike. I stood at the picketline face to face with all the drivers and said If anyone can give me a rational argument not to cross the line I would not. They could not. I was not going to cross that line without my shoulders square and in full daylight. Call me a scab or any other name you can think of. I was man enough to face a crowd alone, not knowing what could go down. What happened to UPS employees because of internal teamster conflicts for power was the genesis for the shape of my pension today.
I was offered a management position after my first three months fulltime at UPS. I had observed how personel could be moved without regard to their family situation and declined. I have been a just a driver since. Almost, 21 yrs.
You dont have the right to complain about the shape of your pension today. How dare you blame internal teamster conflicts on the pension. I dont understand how you blame everything on the teamsters when you didnt have enough balls to stand next to your fellow teamster at a crucial time in our ups teamster history. But now go ahead and fire away your coffee was too hot today (teamsters fault), my alarm didnt go off (teamsters fault), my car wouldnt start (again teamsters fault) etc,,. When will you stand up and take responsibility for the mistakes youve made in life? But why when youve made it this far blaming it on the teamsters. If your supporting the apwa and other scabs like yourself, how long will it be before they piss you off and you ask for your $150 back?

satellitedriver

You dont have the right to complain about the shape of your pension today. How dare you blame internal teamster conflicts on the pension. I dont understand how you blame everything on the teamsters when you didnt have enough balls to stand next to your fellow teamster at a crucial time in our ups teamster history. But now go ahead and fire away your coffee was too hot today (teamsters fault), my alarm didnt go off (teamsters fault), my car wouldnt start (again teamsters fault) etc,,. When will you stand up and take responsibility for the mistakes youve made in life? But why when youve made it this far blaming it on the teamsters. If your supporting the apwa and other scabs like yourself, how long will it be before they piss you off and you ask for your $150 back?
If you would ask me a rational question I could reply.

mittam

He isn't capable of rational, all he can see is the smoking mirrors the teamsters put up. His kind wear blinders like horses and count on someone pulling the reins to tell them where to go. Total trust in what they cannot see. He is one that heard the teamster lie that the company is behind the APWA and doing this, how naive is that? If UPS wanted the union out it would be over already. Some of you people are so blind it isn't funny. You bleed for the teamsters and they don't give a damn about you, they just care about the cash cow UPS represents for them. I was in Cincinnati passing out cards Monday and talked to a part-timer. I introduced myself and asked how long he has been with the company? He said 8 years and was part-timers union steward. Well the local president was there with a couple other of his people to protest us. After talking to me the part-timer walked away and the local pres walked up to him and introduced himself he didn't even know his own steward. How sad is that?!!!!! Course all you teamster die hards can't be talked to anyway, you already know everything and can't see the truth due to the blinders you let the ibt keep over you. The whole deal with the APWA is standing up, taking off the blinders and letting your voice be heard. It's time to take that stand be counted and heard.

705red

Browncafe Steward
He isn't capable of rational, all he can see is the smoking mirrors the teamsters put up. His kind wear blinders like horses and count on someone pulling the reins to tell them where to go. Total trust in what they cannot see. He is one that heard the teamster lie that the company is behind the APWA and doing this, how naive is that? If UPS wanted the union out it would be over already. Some of you people are so blind it isn't funny. You bleed for the teamsters and they don't give a damn about you, they just care about the cash cow UPS represents for them. I was in Cincinnati passing out cards Monday and talked to a part-timer. I introduced myself and asked how long he has been with the company? He said 8 years and was part-timers union steward. Well the local president was there with a couple other of his people to protest us. After talking to me the part-timer walked away and the local pres walked up to him and introduced himself he didn't even know his own steward. How sad is that?!!!!! Course all you teamster die hards can't be talked to anyway, you already know everything and can't see the truth due to the blinders you let the ibt keep over you. The whole deal with the APWA is standing up, taking off the blinders and letting your voice be heard. It's time to take that stand be counted and heard.
How by scabing and withdrawing from the teamsters? Your a bunch of benedict arnolds. You accuse us of being brainwashed by the teamsters, but deny that ups is brainwashing you. In a week i read every post here on the apwa and what do you think my conclussion was. Your attorneys are ups's, your followers have withdrawn from the teamsters, they crossed the picket line in 97. Now you telling us whats best for us, are you friend$#ing serious? Every action that your campaigners have done is so anti -union theres no way were nit buying that ups is behind you.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Yes I quit the union in 1997 because of the strike. I stood at the picketline face to face with all the drivers and said If anyone can give me a rational argument not to cross the line I would not. They could not. I was not going to cross that line without my shoulders square and in full daylight. Call me a scab or any other name you can think of. I was man enough to face a crowd alone, not knowing what could go down.

Quitting the Teamsters for the reasons you gave in defense of your decision are respectable. Given a choice between working or remaining a part of the bargaining unit, I'd probably have asked for a pen and paper and quit the Teamsters on the spot! I'm not entirely certain I'd have faced a crowd of angry, hot, frustrated people, though. If memory serves, that strike was in August. I'm from Texas and have visited in August. I skeddaled back to (relatively) cool anyway Illinois!

You have a good memory.
My motto is : Na Colla Na Croin
Old language meaning "I will wear no collar nor a crown"
Modern day meaning " I am no less than you nor am I better"

Yes, I have a good memory. Screw me somehow and I'll probably remember your name, face and organization affiliation for longer than you'll remember what I look like. That's another story. I like your motto, sir. Mine is: No regrets, no second thoughts. Probably isn't an old language meaning for that one:sad:. I kinda like this one, though: Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

I was in Cincinnati passing out cards Monday and talked to a part-timer. I introduced myself and asked how long he has been with the company? He said 8 years and was part-timers union steward. Well the local president was there with a couple other of his people to protest us. After talking to me the part-timer walked away and the local pres walked up to him and introduced himself he didn't even know his own steward. How sad is that?!!!!!

That's funny in some ways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , actually. I have a dry sense of humor. Still, its pitiful.

How by scabing and withdrawing from the teamsters? Your a bunch of benedict arnolds. You accuse us of being brainwashed by the teamsters, but deny that ups is brainwashing you. In a week i read every post here on the apwa and what do you think my conclussion was. Your attorneys are ups's, your followers have withdrawn from the teamsters, they crossed the picket line in 97. Now you telling us whats best for us, are you friend$#ing serious? Every action that your campaigners have done is so anti -union theres no way were nit buying that ups is behind you.

Scabbing? Withdrawing from the Teamsters? How do you lump the two, 705? Ohh, that's right: all or nothing, right? "All for one, one for all?" kinda mentality? I think the Teamsters have abandoned that belief. I'm not advocating for the APWA either, folks. I've worked union AND non-union jobs. Last job I wasn't union. I wasn't treated real well AND needed the health benefits UPS offered, so I quit. But, the pay was pretty close to start. UPS offered guaranteed increases at certain times, the other job didn't. There are ups and downs to union and non-union. With the problems I've had with the Teamsters in the last 18 hours, I'm really tempted to quit. -Rocky

Ironshot

Local 726 Members Turn out in Record Numbers
Chicago Teamsters Want to Elect Bargaining Committees
“It was amazing to see. Hundreds of Teamsters packed the hall, from all over our local union. They came to vote, to participate. They were shut down. But I’m a proud Teamster to see what’s changing in our local.” — Joe Vercillo
March 23, 2007. On March 21, it was no normal monthly meeting at Chicago Local 726. The hall was packed with hundreds of members, with many people in the hallway. They wanted to change their local union bylaws to have the right to elect some working Teamsters to their bargaining committees.
Fighting for the Future, the grassroots movement in Local 726, put forward three bylaws changes and encouraged members to attend.
The union leadership brought people too, but they couldn’t match the outpouring of rank and file desire for change. So they refused to allow an honest vote.
Mario DiFoggio summed it up. “It was clear that the ‘ayes’ had it on the voice vote but (President) John Falzone ruled the ‘nays’ won. The packed room erupted. Everyone couldn’t believe what was happening. They wouldn’t even allow a hand vote. It was their way or no way.”
“I've been a member for over 30 years and it was the most incredible meeting I can remember,” said John Fasso. “They simply wouldn’t allow an honest vote. We need change in our union. We have to vote these guys out." Fasso works at the City of Chicago Aviation Department.
Mary Koglin, from the City Aviation Department agrees. “I think a lot of members who went in on the fence got a real wake up call seeing how this meeting was run.”
Fighting for the Future has issued a leaflet thanking the members of Local 726 for coming out to take part in their union. They are putting together a team to run for office this fall, and bring a new day to Local 726 members.
Local 726 represents over 5,000 Teamsters who are all in public service, working for the city of Chicago, the county, the turnpike, the state and other public agencies.

The Teamsters have to fight for what the APWA is set up to do. The APWA, the union is you and your coworkers. Just UPSer’s!

Ironshot

I have informed all my fellow employees at my service center that the apwa is nothing more than a few bitter dopes! They are trying to split the workers and destroy the union at UPS! THEY WILL NEVER GET A FOOT IN THE DOOR AT MY SERVICE CENTER, AT UPS FREIGHT! By the way, what difference does it make weather or not I am registered? I can post just like the rest of you kool-aid drinkers!
You can inform as you call it, however some there must think with better clarity then you obviously do. The IBT busted it's own self, maybe you should stop thinking about you own sorry backside. Hoping to shackle us at UPSF with the that Teamster trash is about the worst idea out there. Funny you mentioned Koolaid?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Quitting the Teamsters for the reasons you gave in defense of your decision are respectable. Given a choice between working or remaining a part of the bargaining unit, I'd probably have asked for a pen and paper and quit the Teamsters on the spot! I'm not entirely certain I'd have faced a crowd of angry, hot, frustrated people, though. If memory serves, that strike was in August. I'm from Texas and have visited in August. I skeddaled back to (relatively) cool anyway Illinois!

Yes, I have a good memory. Screw me somehow and I'll probably remember your name, face and organization affiliation for longer than you'll remember what I look like. That's another story. I like your motto, sir. Mine is: No regrets, no second thoughts. Probably isn't an old language meaning for that one:sad:. I kinda like this one, though: Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

That's funny in some ways :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , actually. I have a dry sense of humor. Still, its pitiful.

Scabbing? Withdrawing from the Teamsters? How do you lump the two, 705? Ohh, that's right: all or nothing, right? "All for one, one for all?" kinda mentality? I think the Teamsters have abandoned that belief. I'm not advocating for the APWA either, folks. I've worked union AND non-union jobs. Last job I wasn't union. I wasn't treated real well AND needed the health benefits UPS offered, so I quit. But, the pay was pretty close to start. UPS offered guaranteed increases at certain times, the other job didn't. There are ups and downs to union and non-union. With the problems I've had with the Teamsters in the last 18 hours, I'm really tempted to quit. -Rocky
Rocky look at the majority of the posts in this forum. Theres alot of people who have withdrawn or scabbed supporting the apwa. Im not making any of this up read it for yourself. If your still having a problem pm me and maybe i can help with your teamster union issue.

mittam

Rocky look at the majority of the posts in this forum. Theres alot of people who have withdrawn or scabbed supporting the apwa. Im not making any of this up read it for yourself. If your still having a problem pm me and maybe i can help with your teamster union issue.
That's right I've withdrawn same deal Rocky, a lot I don't believe in that the teamsters are doing, whether on the local level or international, I did however walk the picket line 10 years ago, I was proud to stand there with my union friends, Until we went to the union hall to prepare for the conference call and told my questions did not matter because I was a part-timer. I would get roll downs from what the full-timers got. Instead they have cut part-timers wages, part-timers made $8.00 an hour 21 years ago, only 50 cents higher now. They have taken our pensions and now are after the part-timers pensions to get them away from the company. They know the turn around is very high and that would leave a lot of non-vested monies to their disposal. Part-timers are second rate to the teamsters they really only care about the full-time people at UPS, things need to change and the part-timers need to voice they want a change.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

I've read the majority of the posts concerning APWA, particularly those in the last several weeks. I don't advocate for APWA for any reason whatsoever. Quitting the Teamsters solely to join APWA...that I might have a problem with. Defend your decision and chances are I won't have a problem with it. Give a "stock" answer, I'll call you on it. For example: Satellite's reasoning for quitting the Teamsters was sound. Some others, I'm not entirely certain of. No offense, Mittam, but I'm having a hard time remembering your justification. Its solely your business, sir. And 705, check your PM box if you have the chance. -Rocky

mittam

I acatually still am in the teamsters, here we are core fee paying members paying for our representation, we don't pay for political views, I pay $5.oo less than everyone else. I did this based on what happened there at the hall that night when I got kicked out for wanting to ask a question. I would not take being told to sit down and be quite because I was a part-timer.then got fired a couple years alter on a misunderstanding at state hearing they brought me back as a trade off I have hated them ever since

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The Teamsters hate part timers. How many thousand full time jobs were created in the last 2 contracts?. Oh thats right, it was the companies idea. Workers crossed the picket line because they can't be responsible enough to put a little away for a rainy day.

mittam

The Teamsters hate part timers. How many thousand full time jobs were created in the last 2 contracts?. Oh thats right, it was the companies idea. Workers crossed the picket line because they can't be responsible enough to put a little away for a rainy day.

not near as many full-time jobs created as they agreed on and most of those combo jobs went to full-timers and they were not replaced by part-timers. I have talked to people in other centers and this is true in theirs as well. I am not one who crossed, matter of fact no one out of our center crossed, we stood out there everyday and night thinking what we were doing was right. How blinded we were then about how the ibt was selling us out. All they care about is the money they collect from us. They only care about collecting inflated dues money and putting the 60% of our pension money wherever they please. Just like the $12 they charge each week for the strike fund, ask your local if there is a defined strike fund. Answer is no it goes to a miscellaneous fund they can spend it however they want. Responsible enough enough for a rainy day has nothing to do with the wrongs the union is doing to us. It has become time to stand up and do what is right and not let the ibt keep up the wrongs and stealing and lies. It has become atime to get rid of them and vote in the APWA.

705red

Browncafe Steward
That's right I've withdrawn same deal Rocky, a lot I don't believe in that the teamsters are doing, whether on the local level or international, I did however walk the picket line 10 years ago, I was proud to stand there with my union friends, Until we went to the union hall to prepare for the conference call and told my questions did not matter because I was a part-timer. I would get roll downs from what the full-timers got. Instead they have cut part-timers wages, part-timers made $8.00 an hour 21 years ago, only 50 cents higher now. They have taken our pensions and now are after the part-timers pensions to get them away from the company. They know the turn around is very high and that would leave a lot of non-vested monies to their disposal. Part-timers are second rate to the teamsters they really only care about the full-time people at UPS, things need to change and the part-timers need to voice they want a change.
So you didnt like how the big bad union guy talked to you. ( boohoo) so you withdrew to save $5 bucks. If you had a set you would have stood up for yourself and maybe backed another slate of members to run your local. Now you want to be part of the union again and the big bad teamster guy probably told you to go friend#$k yourself, so now you support the apwa. Ok i see thanks for the inside info, this apwa has no chance you gals are going to all run away and withdraw when they say something you dont like!