Are 13 to 14 hour days worthy of a NO vote?

If 70 hour work weeks are not eliminated will you vote NO?

• All forced 60+ hour weeks must be eliminated even during peak

Votes: 72 73.5%
  • I am OK with being forced to work 70 hours a week

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • I am not a package car driver

Votes: 16 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

35years

Gravy route
This last peak season many centers instituted a 70 hour work week.

At my location we were forced to work from 9:30 AM till 11:00-11:30 PM every day for 6 weeks. Some days would have been 11:59 PM if all lunch was taken. It worked well to reduce missed stops so the practice will be expanding to those centers who were not working 13.5 to 14 hours each night.

We were forced to work a 6th day even if we already had 68.5 hrs worked in 5 days.

If 60+ hour weeks are not eliminated by the new contract, will this single issue cause you to vote NO?

Last edited:

wilberforce15

It's just plain unsafe both for drivers and the public, as well as being insult to injury when most are already at 50-60 hours per week for the other 10.5 months.

Even the guys who want all that work need to be told "no."

35years

Gravy route
You can't hire enough drivers or get enough vehicles for a couple of weeks out of the year
Not a couple of weeks.
Our 60+ hour weeks began Black Friday and ended January 1st.

You are in for a rude awakening if your peak was only 2 weeks last year.

6 weeks of 14 hour days takes a severe toll. I fell asleep at the wheel. We had a flurry of accidents in our bldg.

Not a couple of weeks.
Our 60+ hour weeks began Black Friday and ended January 1st.

You are in for a rude awakening if your peak was only 2 weeks last year.

6 weeks of 14 hour days takes a severe toll. I fell asleep at the wheel. We had a flurry of accidents in our bldg.
I agree it's not safe. And having only one day off isn't enough time for your body to reset.

Indecisi0n

I was never forced to do 70 in package but you better bet your ass if I were I would literally do 3 stops and hour max. They might be able to direct me to stay out but they can dictate what my safe walk pace is. Fight back smart.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Blow it outta your azzz
6EB93750-325C-4108-BCCA-9055428D3986.gif

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

At my location we were forced to work from 9:30 AM till 11:00-11:30 PM every day for 6 weeks. Some days would have been 11:59 PM if all lunch was taken. It worked well to reduce missed stops so the practice will be expanding to those centers who were not working 13.5 to 14 hours each night.

We were forced to work a 6th day even if we already had 68.5 hrs worked in 5 days.

If 60+ hour weeks are not eliminated by the new contract, will this single issue cause you to vote NO?
There is nothing you can do if UPS is not breaking HOS regulations.
Or do they suspend the 9.5 list during peak? IDK

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There is nothing you can do if UPS is not breaking HOS regulations.
Or do they suspend the 9.5 list during peak? IDK
Yes.. there’s no 8 hours or 9.5 list during the holidays.....and those HOS should be used for Semi truck drivers only!!! Package delivery is a whole other beast and is much more labor intensive so the HOS should be lowered for these jobs....letter carriers, FedEx, ups, DHL, etc...

El Correcto

god is dead
I start becoming real useless during a 14 hour dispatch, 5 14’s in a row doesn’t bold well for my production at all. By the last day you’d be lucky to get 80 stops delivered.

Box Ox

and those HOS should be used for Semi truck drivers only!!! Package delivery is a whole other beast and is much more labor intensive

100% I’m still amazed that UPS driver HOS follow regulations intended to prevent unsafe fatigue in semi drivers who merely drive loads from point to point.

Matthew

Lol I'm good with 8 hours or 9.5 I really never want more but 10 hour (with lunch) day will do as well. IF I had the choice that is :\

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Screw the drivers, they get paid 36 plus an hour.
They can deal with it.
Our main concern is to use all our strike leverage to raise starting wages !!!!!
From 11 dollars an hour to 14 will give people that don't work here yet more money so they can afford the unlimited data plan on their Iphones.
We have to fight for the guys that are still in high school so they only have to work one part time job while they're deciding which class to withdraw from.

You guys have been here over 10 years. You knew what you signed up for when you started driving !!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's just plain unsafe both for drivers and the public, as well as being insult to injury when most are already at 50-60 hours per week for the other 10.5 months.

Even the guys who want all that work need to be told "no."

See how stupid your fight sounds from the other thread.

giphy.gif

Last edited: