Are batons ok to carry while on road?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Brownt10, May 12, 2019.

1. Brownt10

Brownt10 Member

The reason I ask is bc I come across some aggressive dogs and the owner is not home or has no control over their dog. This is rare but it does happen. I follow my methods yelling ups, beep horn but the dogs don’t always run out until I get away from my vehicle.batons are legal in my state and I would conceal it on my belt. I know ups does not allow weapons but it’s no different than a multi tool or a pocket knife which is my next step. So overall can I carry a baton concealed if legal in my state? I honestly don’t want to be a fatality and a 14 year old just got mauled by 4 dogs in my state

2. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

A video of you beating a dog with a baton would go viral fast.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  3. Use the DIAD as a weapon.....

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. GenericUsername

GenericUsername Active Member

Know the houses with dogs. Leave them a DR notice at the mailbox and move on with your day. Don't risk a dog bite and don't carry a weapon.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Netsua 3:16

Netsua 3:16 Active Member

I've had a couple times where I got caught with my pants down walking out of a driveway and had to walk backwards to keep the dogs in front of me, both times the dogs bit the sh** outta the DIAD. It's basically a shield if you know how to handle those situations

6. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

..but my supervisors told me yell “ UPS!” at every house so the dog understands it’s just the UPS guy and not an intruder.

7. Saca La

Saca La What is it?

Blow horn. Yell ups. Bag it. Leave it on driveway. Put in the remarks “drvwy dog”

That’s what I do at least when it’s a route I’m not too familiar with. I’ve been chased before. It’s not fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Brownt10

Brownt10 Member

Let me elaborate. I cover tons of different routes and I do memorize the houses with dogs and leave letters when I DR the package. Ive used the Dias on a dog before and it worked. Now I’m not trying to over think things but what happens when you approach certain breeds and the dogs just come charging at you even if you are facing them and holding the Dias out and if it’s more than 1 dog. I’ve been caught off surprise and honestly after just recently having drivers in my state get severely bitten and people littered getting killed which is few and rare really makes me feel unsafe. I will always continue using the methods and won’t get out with dogs present and my bosses are awesome about this but I’m referring to those surprise visits that catch me off guard bc they do happen. Will I get terminated if caught with s batons or using it to keep a dog back and NOT hitting them unless bitten?

9. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

just carry mace

10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Carry a big honkin' flashlight

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. GenericUsername

GenericUsername Active Member

Face the dog. Stand tall (puff chest, stand straight). Speak with a loud and deep voice. Retreat slowly walking backwards, never taking your eyes off the dog. If it charges you, kick it like a football and run for the hills.

12. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amateur Malthusian

....with steel toe boots.

13. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Get a 10 or 12” adjustable wrench and keep it in your back pocket

Never know when you might have to “wrench” on something

14. 1BROWNWRENCH

If you can dodge a wrench...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. 1BROWNWRENCH

A cattle prod disguised as a stick would be handy.

16. 1BROWNWRENCH

I have an 18 incher in my cabinet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. Poop Head

Poop Head rubber bands on the handle

I think I seen a video of that online

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  18. Old Man Jingles

Old Man Jingles Rat out of a cage

Only in Louisiana and it has to be red.

Baton Rouge

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  19. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

What about bear mace? , spray little poochy with that see what he does lol

20. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

tenor (15).gif

Only if you need to practice your field commanding.