Are batons ok to carry while on road?

542thruNthru

The reason I ask is bc I come across some aggressive dogs and the owner is not home or has no control over their dog. This is rare but it does happen. I follow my methods yelling ups, beep horn but the dogs don’t always run out until I get away from my vehicle.batons are legal in my state and I would conceal it on my belt. I know ups does not allow weapons but it’s no different than a multi tool or a pocket knife which is my next step. So overall can I carry a baton concealed if legal in my state? I honestly don’t want to be a fatality and a 14 year old just got mauled by 4 dogs in my state

Let me elaborate. I cover tons of different routes and I do memorize the houses with dogs and leave letters when I DR the package. Ive used the Dias on a dog before and it worked. Now I’m not trying to over think things but what happens when you approach certain breeds and the dogs just come charging at you even if you are facing them and holding the Dias out and if it’s more than 1 dog. I’ve been caught off surprise and honestly after just recently having drivers in my state get severely bitten and people littered getting killed which is few and rare really makes me feel unsafe. I will always continue using the methods and won’t get out with dogs present and my bosses are awesome about this but I’m referring to those surprise visits that catch me off guard bc they do happen. Will I get terminated if caught with s batons or using it to keep a dog back and NOT hitting them unless bitten?

Heavy flashlight would be better. Easier to explain why you have one. I don't recommend carrying a baton. UPS will just claim you're trained to avoid dogs and fire your ass for using a baton on one. Especially if it ends up on the news.

To be honest you shouldn't need anything. Slow down and don't go inside fences. If I even suspect there is a dog I drop it as close as I feel safe and leave.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Customers don’t understand their dogs act way different when they are with them when making the delivery. Whenever the homeowner isn’t with them they see you as a threat..like management , THEY ARE THE ENEMY

Just make noise at the fence. You see huge dog running trails/toys in yard, reevaluate. If you see a dog door set down box quietly. Do not knock. RUN LIKE HELL.

take your time

Here's a pro tip: If you see a dog in the yard, don't throw the package over the fence and DR it.

I made that mistake this last peak season, and the dog ran over to the small package and began to shred it to pieces. I'm pretty sure the owner was p o'd when he got back from work that night......

bbsam

Staff member
The reason I ask is bc I come across some aggressive dogs and the owner is not home or has no control over their dog. This is rare but it does happen. I follow my methods yelling ups, beep horn but the dogs don’t always run out until I get away from my vehicle.batons are legal in my state and I would conceal it on my belt. I know ups does not allow weapons but it’s no different than a multi tool or a pocket knife which is my next step. So overall can I carry a baton concealed if legal in my state? I honestly don’t want to be a fatality and a 14 year old just got mauled by 4 dogs in my state
Not for the untrained. Take lessons.

clean hairy

Here's a pro tip: If you see a dog in the yard, don't throw the package over the fence and DR it.
I made that mistake this last peak season, and the dog ran over to the small package and began to shred it to pieces. I'm pretty sure the owner was p o'd when he got back from work that night......
Who cares?
You delivered it, the dog chewed it up.
Might have them rethink havimg a dog running loose in the yard.

iowa boy

I love delivering the package and watching the dog come up and take off with it in their mouth, that to me is funny as hell to watch as I drive away laughing.

clean hairy

I love delivering the package and watching the dog come up and take off with it in their mouth, that to me is funny as hell to watch as I drive away laughing.
Especially if it is a bag of dog food.
Customer claims it was not delivered, friver shows video of dog eating the bag of food.
Case closed.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just sue the home owner when the dog bites you. You’ll only need 1.5 mil to retire.
I used to think that was a dick move, but the more I deal with bad dogs and irresponsible dog owners I see that it a great action to take. If I get bit by a dog I am suing the pants of the home owner to teach them a lesson!

Underallowed306

Don’t risk it. Everyone has a camera and nobody thinks their dog is bad. You can’t win. Either safely DR it where the dog can’t get it (car, mailbox post, etc.) or just NI1 it and roll on. It’s not worth it. I take a short video of the dog if I can just in case somebody wants to complain about not getting there packages. Also, dog treats are cheap insurance.

We're not responsible if a dog tears open a packag . Had it happen to me last summer. Dog was jumping at screen door hit the handle and came flying out at me. Threw the box at him and started backing up. Had to hit him with diad and kick him he stopped bout 10 feet from truck then went back to box and went to town on it. I called building immediately and they said not to worry owner called later that day saying I let her dog out to chew on her package. Surprisingly ups had my back