Are driver helpers allowed to pick which drivers they assist?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so please bare with me :)

I've worked at my hub for 10 months (hired last peak) and have been a top preloader since. A bid sheet was put up this past Friday for driver helpers during the season, but before I sign it, I was wondering if I have the ability pick and choose my driver? I've "floated" around my entire center and have gotten to know a good portion of the drivers, many of which I wouldn't mind working with at all. (I'm sure, actually, that they would enjoy me helping them instead of some random outside hire.) There are a few drivers, however, that I would rather not see at all after sort.

Also, do preload employees have a good chance at securing a helper position before an outside hire? Does anyone know how the OT works in situations when you swap job responsibilities during a shift?

Should I talk to a few drivers about it on Monday? Or should I go to my business manager or union steward first?

Thank you all! :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, you can list your preference for drivers, in order from most to least, when you sign the list; however, the best way to make sure that you are matched with the driver that you most prefer to work with is to get with that driver and ask him/her if he/she wants to work with you and, if so, to have them pass this along to HR and/or the helper coordinator.

I will once again be using the son of our night sort manager as my Peak helper.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If that's your real name, probably should change it. This is a super secret website that you wouldn't want UPS to know about.............

Forgot to include in the thread--

I've seen in similar discussions that you're provided with a jacket and pants as a helper... Am I expected to go out in my preload clothes? Is there any possibility of me wearing shorts instead of long pants?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've seen in similar discussions that you're provided with a jacket and pants as a helper... Am I expected to go out in my preload clothes? Is there any possibility of me wearing shorts instead of long pants?

You will be provided with a jacket and long pants. You can change in the locker room after your shift. You will meet the driver on road. Shorts are not normally an option.

barnyard

KTM rider
Your best bet would be to approach the drivers that you would rather help, tell them you signed the interest sheet for helping and ask them to request you as a helper. In my center, drivers' opinions carry more weight.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Depends on what your legs look like Barb

Picture would help

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on what your legs look like Barb

Picture would help

image.jpg

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
We get to pick our off the street helpers, I try to pick the least looking criminal out of the line up, but as usual I'm always disappointed.
The pre-loaders are the better helpers, they always go with the resi routes.