Are Floaters Paid More?

MassWineGuy

I saw an ad yesterday from Express seeking floater drivers for just under $19 an hour. This is for the BVY station in Boston, which handles 20,000 pieces a day.

I'm a pt courier just north of Boston and my rate will increase next month to just barely over $18.

Do floaters earn more? Within the same district, do the pay rates differ by location?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I saw an ad yesterday from Express seeking floater drivers for just under $19 an hour. This is for the BVY station in Boston, which handles 20,000 pieces a day.

I'm a pt courier just north of Boston and my rate will increase next month to just barely over $18.

Do floaters earn more? Within the same district, do the pay rates differ by location?

Floater? I wonder if that is the same as a cover driver. If so, yes they are paid more. And yes, pay rates CAN differ by location in same district. In the large city near me they make $1.00 an hour more than at my station, and a station further south of mine makes even less.

adhawk

Bvy owd gdm and bed are all the same pay worcester and west boylston are paid less because they are far out and cost of living is less out there.

overflowed

in stations that are 4x10 a floater is the person who covers the day off for each loop. so they work a different route each day of work but just the four routes they cover.

Purplepackage

in stations that are 4x10 a floater is the person who covers the day off for each loop. so they work a different route each day of work but just the four routes they cover.

We call that position the wheel driver, not really sure why though.

It's pretty good position though cover the same 4 routes every week and you have a 4 day weekend once a month

overflowed

We call that position the wheel driver, not really sure why though.

It's pretty good position though cover the same 4 routes every week and you have a 4 day weekend once a month
We call them floats, but different areas of the states have their own lingo I guess, never heard of wheel driver in my life.

vantexan

We call them floats, but different areas of the states have their own lingo I guess, never heard of wheel driver in my life.
I've been a 4X10 cover driver 3 times, no extra pay, and a swing driver twice, a little extra an hour, less than a dollar. Cover drivers are considered regular couriers, swing drivers are a different classification. The catch of being a swing is when they try to bid on a courier rt they are in Priority Group 2, which makes it difficult to get out of being a swing once they have you there. The first time I became a swing was in '99, given just 30 cents an hour more and was not eligible for the general raise that year as I had already been given a "promotion" and a "raise" becoming a swing. When I transferred out to become regular courier again they took over a dollar away from me.

Last edited:

Purplepackage

I've been a 4X10 cover driver 3 times, no extra pay, and a swing driver twice, a little extra an hour, less than a dollar. Cover drivers are considered regular couriers, swing drivers are a different classification. The catch of being a swing is when they try to bid on a courier rt they are in Priority Group 2, which makes it difficult to get out of being a swing once they have you there.

4x10 cover 3 times? We're you the only one who bid on the position?

That's actually how I got full time when I started, was with the company 8 months as part time and got the 4x10 cover spot because nobody wants to do it, even though I don't know why you wouldn't