Are part-timers required to "punch out" before using the "can"

rushfan

We are told as full-time drivers to go on break if we use the restroom. Are the part-timers required to do the same during their shift if they use the restroom while the sort is going on?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've never once been asked to punch out to go to the bathroom or mark it as break as either a part timer or full timer.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A fellow driver in my center was told that he had to punch out just if he wanted to take a tinkle by a new FT sup we had who was trying to be a "tough guy".

I will NEVER punch out if I have to use the restroom, as a human it is kind of a daily necessity and to punch out at 3 or 4 minutes at a time is stupid

FilingBluesFL

Yeah, hell no. HELL NO.

It doesn't matter if you have to tinkle, you have to poo poo, you have explosive diarrhea, you do NOT have to punch out to perform a bodily function.

We have one guy in our center that runs a rural route, and he WILL drive back into town just to tinkle or whatever.

Stand up, don't be afraid.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yeah, hell no. HELL NO.

It doesn't matter if you have to tinkle, you have to poo poo, you have explosive diarrhea, you do NOT have to punch out to perform a bodily function.

We have one guy in our center that runs a rural route, and he WILL drive back into town just to tinkle or whatever.

Stand up, don't be afraid.

OSHA requires that employees have access to the bathroom when they need to go. Up until the early 2000s, OSHA use to discourage employers from forcing employees to clock out for bathroom breaks, but this changed under the conservative Bush Administration & OSHA now says it's up to the employer to decide whether or not you should clock out (unless otherwise decided by local law).

Where I'm at management use to request that PTers who were identified for taking excessive bathroom breaks clock out, unless they had a doctor's note on file stipulating that they required extra bathroom breaks. One person took it to hearing saying that it wasn't his fault his body had a bowl movement at the same time every day, typically for 15-minutes. I never heard the outcome, but our new manager backed off this policy anyway. We have several guys in the back who use the toilet 3, 4, 5 or even 6 times every day ... Pretty common to see people request to use the bathroom, have break called, then wait until after break to use the bathroom.

FilingBluesFL

OSHA requires that employees have access to the bathroom when they need to go. Up until the early 2000s, OSHA use to discourage employers from forcing employees to clock out for bathroom breaks, but this changed under the conservative Bush Administration & OSHA now says it's up to the employer to decide whether or not you should clock out (unless otherwise decided by local law).

Where I'm at management use to request that PTers who were identified for taking excessive bathroom breaks clock out, unless they had a doctor's note on file stipulating that they required extra bathroom breaks. One person took it to hearing saying that it wasn't his fault his body had a bowl movement at the same time every day, typically for 15-minutes. I never heard the outcome, but our new manager backed off this policy anyway. We have several guys in the back who use the toilet 3, 4, 5 or even 6 times every day ... Pretty common to see people request to use the bathroom, have break called, then wait until after break to use the bathroom.

Usually those that tend to engage in those types of behaviors don't last long. Not because of managerial or supervisory harassment, but just because they tend not to be able to hack it.

One morning we came in, and I found a pizza sitting on a counter. I took some, and offered some to a co-worker. We went back to the unload, and he was in the bathroom the entire morning, I didn't have a single problem lol

"Excessive breaks" are, as you said, determined by sup's, so one persons "excessive breaks" are a favorite employee's "natural needs and urges."

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Usually those that tend to engage in those types of behaviors don't last long. Not because of managerial or supervisory harassment, but just because they tend not to be able to hack it.

One morning we came in, and I found a pizza sitting on a counter. I took some, and offered some to a co-worker. We went back to the unload, and he was in the bathroom the entire morning, I didn't have a single problem lol

"Excessive breaks" are, as you said, determined by sup's, so one persons "excessive breaks" are a favorite employee's "natural needs and urges."

There's nothing worse than unloading a trailer with somebody who filled up on White Castles, has to use the potty but is told to wait until the trailer's done. Requires nasal irrigation on my end.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We had it mentioned once during time studies that we were to code out for break or lunch if we needed to "go potty" (yes, I have little kids). Then during the ride the person doing the time study says, "Hey, can we stop for a minute so I can use the bathroom." Response: "I'm sorry, I don't have a way to code that out so you're going to have to wait till we get back to the center." We stopped hearing about coding out bathroom breaks shortly after.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Are part-timers required to "punch out" before using the "can"

Many years ago in my building we had a driver (who is still around even though he should be long retired) who was often the object of managements ire for taking too many restroom breaks.

Eventually management started doing ride-alongs and told him that this was an issue.

Rather than take it to the union, he handled it in a fashion that is still talked about in our center to this day. He took a dump in his UPS hat, brought it back to the building, and placed it on the managers desk. Point was made, harassment stopped.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
At the risk of giving management any ideas, if the bathroom wasn't air conditioned they could cut way down on bathroom breaks.... just speaking from the perspective of someone who works in a solar oven/feeder.

At the same time, if everyone waited for their 10 minute break to use the bathroom, they'd spend their break waiting in line to take a piss. I drink at least a gallon of water per shift to stay hydrated, a bathroom break at some point is inevitable. I'm gonna do it on their time, every time, not on my lousy 10 minute break.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Follow their recommended hydration schedule and I guarantee you'll be going at least once an hour in the summer, 3 or 4 times in the cooler months.

oldngray

nowhere special
It is supposed to be built into the time allowances for drivers to take a leak but that allowance seems to have vanished with all of the fair time studies. You don't need to clock out for a quick leak but if you park your butt in there and abuse the privilege expect repercussions. We had a feeder driver get fired for hour long rest stops.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I am on road I always try to time my restroom breaks for those stops with public restrooms. During Peak one of the first things I tell my helper is to try to do the same.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
When I am on road I always try to time my restroom breaks for those stops with public restrooms. During Peak one of the first things I tell my helper is to try to do the same.

Thats smart, but here they would accuse you of being too "regular". We plan ours for truckstops we know we can park close to and hopefully have alternate restrooms if the target one is closed for cleaning. State rest stops are mostly not an option at night as the parking lots are full.