Are Service Dogs Allowed?

Well, some disabilities are obvious. Some are invisable. Kids will ask anyone just about anything. I would hope that the parent would explain to the child that it's not polite to ask. It is not the business of the general public to know about someone's medical/mental, condition. I hope that does not come accross short or rude, I don't mean it to.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's hard to determine if the dog would be allowed if you don't know where the dog will be, I.e. The feeder. I doubt they would allow an unloader to have a service animal there.

oh. well, I'll say goodbye to you UPSers. Thanks for all of the hard work you do. I am sure that it's not an easy job, in any department. I obviously don't work for UPS. I am however, a Service Dog handler who was just trying to help a fellow Service Dog user. Hope she gets the job that she wants and suits her along with her Service Dog.

You can see the ignorance I am dealing with. I always thought that working with UPS I would be working with intelligent, hard working people. I thought I would be in an organization that resembled the structure of the military (I loved the Army). However, I have learned that not only are they (Human Resources and the general workforce) clueless, but they don't want to learn which makes them ignorant. Now I know I sound like I'm generalizing. I know that there are some there that are truly concerned and want to learn but I have not met them yet. Your posts were very helpful and I thank you! P.S. I would have an office job. But...they are fighting me tooth and nail. My friend used to work at the USPS as a mail carrier. She was the 1st to sue the USPS and win! She got a judgement and now all USPS employees are allowed to bring their service dog to work.

P.S.S. Prime example of what I'm talking about...all I asked was if anyone has ever seen a service dog at UPS!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Good luck to you. I wish UPS would take care of their own. They don't see the tenacity and intuitiveness it takes to fight them back as a reflection of our work ethic. It astounds me. It's hard to find ambitious, enterprising employees. Just throw us away. Whatever.

trickpony1

PullmanPalace-
You might contact The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) to see if they can help you.

It's my understanding the OFCCP is a Federal agency that assures that employers of 25 or more employees that have contracts with the Federal government have active programs in place to hire, retain and promote handicapped persons.

If the OFCCP is unwilling or unable to assist you, you may want to pay a visit to your Senator to find out why.

If Atlanta has an employee that requires a service dog you can bet it's for PR purposes. You can bet visiting diginitaries, Senators, Congress persons and representatives are promenaded past the "poor disabled person's" cubicle to "notice" the pretty service dog. This bolsters the companys image and all leave with that warm fuzzy feeling.

You are up against an evil and hateful company that has no honesty or integrity and it's getting worse.

Good luck.

trouble maker

i'd like to bring my little terrier in my feeder truck. he keeps me calm.
I take my German Shepherd with me every night in my feeder. Everyone leaves me alone.
draco.2.jpg

menotyou

bella amicizia
He's so skinny. Maybe, it just me. My Baxter is a bit fat. Barney is in good shape, Brody has a couple extra pounds. I cook chicken and beef for them and add it to their crumblies. The more I think about it, I guess it's me. I might feed the boys a bit too much. :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
He's so skinny. Maybe, it just me. My Baxter is a bit fat. Barney is in good shape, Brody has a couple extra pounds. I cook chicken and beef for them and add it to their crumblies. The more I think about it, I guess it's me. I might feed the boys a bit too much. :)
That pictured shepherd is perfect in my eye. Good shape and not at all skinny. Remember, Food is not love!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I know. Baxter has lost about 15lbs. He's gone from 115 to 100. Barney is 89 lbs. Vet says he's fine. I had to cut back Brody to (don't laugh) 2 meals a day. Remember, he is a Dane who weighs 180. Hes almost 3 feet tall and about 4 ft long. (rough guess by looking at him). I did measure his height, though.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Nice. He is beautiful. I had a black and tan as a very young child. We would ride him like a horse. Shane. German Shepards are wonderful dogs. Give him a extra hug for me. :)

Trickpony1,
Thanks for your response. I will contact them. Can you tell me if you personally have ever seen a service dog at UPS? Do you even know of someone that has one that works at UPS? I'm sure they must allow someone to have one, but thus far nobody is able to verify!

trickpony1

Trickpony1,
Thanks for your response. I will contact them. Can you tell me if you personally have ever seen a service dog at UPS? Do you even know of someone that has one that works at UPS? I'm sure they must allow someone to have one, but thus far nobody is able to verify!

I have never seen a service dog at this company but my travels are fairly limited/confined due to being a feeder driver.

Have you researched your state statutes as well as the federal law that parallels state statute regarding, "......reasonable accomadation to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified handicapped individual."?