Are skyscrapers in major cities their own route?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Air drivers,air walkers and 2-3 ground drivers do sections, there's 4 or 5 freight elevators in different parts of the building...
I believe the Empire State Building is 4 routes.

So what you are saying is, you are getting screwed by having two whole buildings.

And a helper.

And friendly doormen.

And a shadow.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have commercial highrises 28+ floors on my route in a major city. The air is done by air drivers, but I get the air for one of them and the misc air for the other businesses on my route. Then a different air driver does my resi NDAs and my business savers in the area I don't get to until the afternoon.

I spend the first half of the day in the highrise area, then the second half doing ghetto res and ghetto corner stores, etc.

Its really nice being in climate control and out of the rain half the day and nice getting paid to wait for elevators and traffic. The tradeoffs are having to handtruck stuff instead of just leaving it on someone's dock and your truck's heat never really warming up until afternoon.

The other nice thing is in the summer the truck doesn't bake all day. It's in a garage or underground until 1pm, then 2 to 3 I park it under trees in the shade with the doors open for lunch. It heats up a little from 3 to 4:30 then cools down again while parked inside for pickups, then the heat of the sun is gone.

The funny thing is there is one building on my route where it gets the following:
1) air driver for NDAs
2) me for regular deliveries
3) neighboring route's driver for pickups
4) a different air driver for a 7:30pm air run of a few businesses and a letterbox
...so one building gets 4 different UPS drivers each day. That's a heck of a lot different than a little town I used to do where I did everything without any other guy coming into the town.

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
My tallest sky scraper was 5 floors. I had a few 2 story offices and the 3 story courthouse. I had to hump them all upstairs if the elevator was out. But I can't imagine with like 30+ floors. I mean, you'd have to do the first few, but also there's a limit too.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What happens if the elevator is out of service? E.C?
Then they let us use the passenger elevators, but restrict how much we can take in one trip and can only use regular handtrucks, not the big carts usually. In the rare event all elevators are down/power out to a building my boss says security attempts to call the business and asks if they want them left in the lobby in a pile (they have to come down later and figure out how it's getting upstairs) and security would sign for it, or they can ask for it to be re-attempted the next day, or so I'm told. If the business said to come back the next day, we're to sheet it Not Ready 1. If everything was down & security didn't agree to sign we'd use EC. I've never personally had every elevator down at once in one of my big buildings, just in the smaller 10 floor buildings, which were EC'd.

Ghost in the Darkness

That makes me think of the WTC and what happened on 9/11, I wonder if the attacks started before drivers got there to deliver. I never really heard much about personal stories of delivery guys.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No drivers were in the buildings.
I remember delivering an air pkg, on 9/11 , the secretary told me about it, I stood there in shock as we both watched it unfold on a tv , some a hole in an expensive suit busts in and says something to the effect of, listen I need this paperwork ASAP, I understand what is going on , but this is important , we both just looked at each other like wow.......

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That makes me think of the WTC and what happened on 9/11, I wonder if the attacks started before drivers got there to deliver. I never really heard much about personal stories of delivery guys.
You'd have to ask the NYC guys about that one, but I'd imagine they hadn't quite gotten there yet as it started just after 9, unless it was an air driver doing EAMs.

I remember seeing this picture though:

5oRSDYv.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
You'd have to ask the NYC guys about that one, but I'd imagine they hadn't quite gotten there yet as it started just after 9, unless it was an air driver doing EAMs.

I remember seeing this picture though:

5oRSDYv.jpg

Either that's photoshopped or that is the most dedicated driver in the company------------------or he's stoned out of his mind

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Almost all the big skyscrapers have their own delivery services within so they have practically become drop stops (post 911) esp banks and federal buildings...